Doing what is asked of you is a C?

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Hello Escapists, long time no see in the forums.

Anyway, I have a bit of situation I wanted your opinions on.

The new semester just started, and I find myself with a teacher who... Well, I don't like him. The general consensus seems to be he's a self centered jerk, but that's besides the point. What I wanted to ask you guys is if you agree with this statement: "Doing exactly what you're asked is average work, and will be rewarded with a C, an average grade."

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't like it. Maybe that's because my grade is on the line, but still, it just doesn't seem like a good way to grade. If I'm asked to do a certain amount of work, and I do it, I'm really going to be rewarded with a C? I don't know, that seems like a little spit in the face to me.

But again, that's just me. Am I wrong on this one? Please, tell me if I am.

Also, feel free to share stories of teachers you haven't exactly hit it off with. I love reading the silly stuff that teachers can do sometimes.
It depends. Is the grade about the quality of your work, or the nature of it? I mean, if the task is to write an essay on 'X', do you get a C for writing an essay on 'X'? Or do you get graded upon the quality of the essay? If to get better grades you actually have to do more stuff, rather than better quality 'stuff' (like write an editorial rather than an essay, or do a speech, or include diagrams, etc) then that is just ridiculous.

So long as the grades are about the quality of your work, and as long as they tell you what you need to do for better grades, then it seems fair. Just doing the assigned work isn't worth more than pass, because it is simply not failing (i.e. not handing in the proper work at all).

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
Strain42 said:
I assume your teacher isn't saying "If you do all your homework and do all the tests you'll get a C" because that's not how grading works.

I think he could just be saying "if you only do the bare minimum, you probably won't do much better than a C."

Like if you just show up to class, do the homework and take the tests, but never say...actually study for those tests, you're doing average work and it will probably showcase itself with an average grade, in other words, a C.
Pretty much this. A lot more is expected of you once you reach the college level. I had one professor I absolutely hated because he was self-centered. In a creative writing course he handed us a copy of the short story he was working on and said "This is how your dialogue should sound." To a writing major it is nothing short of appalling to have a teacher tell you to write exactly like someone else. And half of this guy's lectures were about stories from his life, which have no place in a classroom. I still wound up getting good grades in his class but I'm not exactly proud of them either.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
See, this is why people can't be trusted. We have people who read things and jump to ridiculous conclusions. For instance that I never said people were lying to you. Nor did I say the government was trustworthy.
oh man >_<... there is such a thing as IMPLYING, it's where you say one thing is bad and there is only one more thing left, thus you must mean that thing is good... is that easy enough for you to understand? I give you a grade D- for your comprehension, you only didnt fail because you didn't make a spelling or grammar mistake but you didn't say anything of ANY substance so you get ZERO marks for adding to the convo

I didn't say this either. How hard is it for you to survive when you cannot read a single post without coming up with stupid and erroneous conclusions?
Oh, I never made any mistakes ;) I've lived more real life than you so I know what I'm talking about

Which fails to show that they aren't biased in other ways. For instance confirmation bias. Nor does it deal with the criticism on the potentially limited scope of the experiences in question.
I know all about confirmation bias and trust me, real people aren't as dumb as you think they are (they do have degrees so that must mean they are more intelligent than you at the least)

See, this is another reason people like yourself cannot be trusted. You lack logic skills. Studies are not automatically government propaganda. Furthermore it STILL does not address the problem of scope.
If the studies came from or were commisioned the government then they can easily be manipulated to suit their agenda

Well please stop acting like a conspiracy theorist. Also it's pretty laughable if you think this is what a news reporter sounds like.
Oh flip off, I don't care for conspiracy theories, for someone who knows about confirmation bais, you sure are prone to it - it's basic public relations to use jibberish language that both avoids answering the question and makes you appear intelligent in front of the stupid masses

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:
It depends. Is the grade about the quality of your work, or the nature of it? I mean, if the task is to write an essay on 'X', do you get a C for writing an essay on 'X'? Or do you get graded upon the quality of the essay? If to get better grades you actually have to do more stuff, rather than better quality 'stuff' (like write an editorial rather than an essay, or do a speech, or include diagrams, etc) then that is just ridiculous.
He's said that when a sheet gives you the instructions to do 8-10 sentences on a subject, doing 8 is a C, 9 is a B and 10 is an A if that helps.

Also, a bit random, but are protecting the people, ensuring the peace, and maintaining order the same thing? I don't think they are, but I got two of them wrong, because apparently they're synonymous.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Oh sorry, that's called a 'false dichotomy'. If I say one thing is flawed that does not mean that I say the other thing is necessarily good. See, outside of the world of tinfoil hats there aren't always 'good' and 'bad' options. In this case there's 'pretty damn worthless' and 'potentially acceptable'.
lolz, oh mate... how do you expect me to know that if i dont know you? is this a logic fail?

That you break down the world into bits you like and ignore blatantly obvious other possibilities? Why, yes, you did make that easy to understand.
again, logic fail? :p

I did. I pointed out that you're a liar.
still doesn't add anything, name calling is a tad immature anyway

Appeal to authority. Also a worthless claim. You don't even know me. I'm going to guess that stupid 'real life' claim is based on insecurity in your actual merits.
Who said you know me? don't turn out to be a hypocrite please...

You apparently don't since you're trusting people to a somewhat pathetic degree... when it suits the conclusion you want it to. Also pretty stupid to talk about degrees making people more intelligent. It makes someone more of an expert in a particular field. Anyone with half a brain knows it doesn't show intelligence in and of itself.
I already know university doesn't prove or improve intelligence, I know graduates from before and after they got their degrees

And the problem with conspiracy theorists like you is you go from "It can happen" -> "It's happening in this case"
So that means anyone who makes an educated guess is a conspiracy theorist "judging from past experiments, this will happen because it happened before"

sorry mate, conspiracy is a lack of any evidence or hint toward a conclusion, you know I don't believe nonsense

I don't really need to appear intelligent in front of you. And you do care for them. "OMG the government is messing with the studies! Proof: Because they can! Can't trust them, have to talk to random people, they're the only ones that can be trusted". And it isn't gibberish language. It gives the same message. If you have a hard time understanding it that isn't my fault, that would say something about you, not me. It's not very hard.
Don't worry, you're not appearing intelligent :) I'm glad you came out of your shell
Oh, I can understand the language perfectly well, this is why I know it is gibberish (or else I couldnt make that claim, could I?)

Also lol @ saying I am prone to confirmation bias. Do tell, where is it apparent? There's nothing that you could remotely work that into. I'm going to guess that you probably just see it as 'gibberish language' that you don't understand, so you toss it around and misuse it.
Jumping to the assumption that I deal in conspiracies - ugh... this convo is getting us nowhere and it's taking up too much of the thread, I'm for sleep so have a good evening!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
How else could it be done? An A can go no higher than 100%, so if average work provided a perfect score, there would be no way for the greater than average students to earn that status.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
Its probably alright. It depends on how important this class like if there's a II the semester thereafter, if you need something higher for the sake of a scholarship/bursary. Currently I have a course that is "Research Methodology Applications" where I have to do research experiments and stuff (I'm in HR/business and not science). Getting a C in that class to me is like getting an A in any other made worse that my teacher is a troll on MLA and grammar. If you plan on getting A in the other courses then your average should be fine, with nothing to worry about.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I think it would be perfectly reasonable if every class graded like that. However since most classes will give an A for average work getting a C for the same effort takes your GPA down a few pegs and really is unfair.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
That sounds about right. This is a degree. No more hand holding.

C is doing what your told.
B is elaboration on that drawing up some plots to show something better theorising a bit.
A is showing independent work and thinking.
A* is original innovative work and thinking.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
In my French class, it's a B, doing everything your asked.
I find that I have the ability to work with that and still get an A.

While I think C is a little unreasonable, seeing as how my parents are buthurt about it.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I had a theater professor in college who non-theater students absolutely hated. I should clarify by saying that I went to a liberal arts college and for some reason, theater was considered general ed in some cases and they made students take at least one class.

Anyway. Her written tests were always tough, even for majors. They were ALL open-ended questions and there was always an essay. She would usually explain after the first test that she didn't always ask for what she wanted to know. This is a direct quote she gave me when I talked to her about my first test my freshman year:

"If you work in this business, and someone asks you a question about this writer or this play or this company you're going to be expected to know more than what they ask of you."

That stuck with me. I proceeded to work with this professor very closely over the following 4 years and learned a lot, so much that I don't even want to work in Communications (my degree) and I want to work in the arts.

The majors, LOVED her. The non-majors HATED her. It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

Basically, yes it sucks that sometimes you have tough professors who grade toughly or even unfairly (I had an English professor who purposely gave me a letter grade lower than what my assignments were worth because she didn't want me to get complacent. We talked about it, I adjusted, and went on without a problem)

What you have to remember is that grading is completely subjective. In any subject that's open for debate or speculation or requires explanations there's going to be a level of subjectivity in the grading. I also had a professor who told me "Even if you draw an elephant on your paper, if you can convince me why it's there and why it's relevant then you'll get some credit from me" (I loved college). The best thing you can do is learn what this professor likes and go from there.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Shivarage said:
axlryder said:
if simply "talking to people" is the basis for your claim, then your claim is founded on nothing but conjecture. What's more, being in college myself and knowing quite a few students who have graduated, I'd say that my personal experience contradicts your assessment of the opportunities available. Of course people are having trouble finding work, but it's not as though there a zero positions open. My particular college has a very good job placement percentage (and that's based off of my fellow graduates, not whatever number the university touts on its admissions portfolio or something).
Again, those figures are can be easily manipulated and average still hangs over from the times when there was opportunity so don't trust thosetelemarketing because there are zero positions above that in England
Again, I said that the job placement percentage I was referring to was based off of my fellow graduates, that is, people who I actually knew and talked to who had gotten jobs. Also, having a single example is possibly the flimsiest argument you could come up with when attempting to claim that 99% of grads end up in a job unrelated to their major. You'd have to have something closer to a sampling of 1000 random students, with only ten ending up in their desired field, for me to take your statement seriously. Regardless, 99% is simply wrong, as placement percentages could not feasibly be manipulated to the point that there's a 95% discrepancy without someone noticing (my college claiming a 96% placement rate at the time of my enrollment). It's possible that they might be inflating their percentages, but certainly not to such an egregious extent. Obviously some fields offer more opportunity than others, but even averaging the various fields and colleges together, I have little doubt that the average placement percentage is nowhere near as low as you claim it to be. Unless you'd like to provide some definitive evidence backing up your initial statement, we're done here.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:
He's said that when a sheet gives you the instructions to do 8-10 sentences on a subject, doing 8 is a C, 9 is a B and 10 is an A if that helps.

Also, a bit random, but are protecting the people, ensuring the peace, and maintaining order the same thing? I don't think they are, but I got two of them wrong, because apparently they're synonymous.
No they aren't, though they can overlap. What do you mean 'you got them wrong'? How do you 'get two of them wrong', exactly? My brain refuses to proceed beyond that question until it is answered.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:

No they aren't, though they can overlap. What do you mean 'you got them wrong'? How do you 'get two of them wrong', exactly? My brain refuses to proceed beyond that question until it is answered.
I did not receive credit for two of the answers, as to him, they are one in the same, so I might as well have simply repeated the same answer three times.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:

I did not receive credit for two of the answers, as to him, they are one in the same, so I might as well have simply repeated the same answer three times.
So you wrote an essay that, at some necessary point, talked about protecting the people, ensuring the peace and maintaining order. And yet despite showing a decent understanding of each (enough to know that they aren't always the same thing), you didn't receive the appropriate marks?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Doing what is asked is a C. Thats a fact. That passes the bar. If I order a burger and chips and only get the burger that isn't good enough.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:
Biosophilogical said:
silver wolf009 said:

So you wrote an essay that, at some necessary point, talked about protecting the people, ensuring the peace and maintaining order. And yet despite showing a decent understanding of each (enough to know that they aren't always the same thing), you didn't receive the appropriate marks?
It was a question on a test, asking what the purpose of law is. Those three answers were considered the same thing, so I only got credit for one, as the other two, to him, were simply repeating the same answer.