Doki Doki Literature Club! ~Uwa! I feel like I'm dying inside >.<'

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It's fantastic! If you want a highly out of the ordinary visual novel that really does something different go play it!
It's free and you can download it from Steam or the developer's website. You have no excuses, go do it now! The game takes a while to really get going, but it's all the better for the slow buildup. That's all you need to know.

I know it would kind of defeat the whole point the game was trying to make, but does anybody else wish that there was a version of the game that played things completely straight with no self aware club president? I just really enjoyed the characters and would love a chance to spend more time with them and get a nice happy ending with some full character arcs. I love all the crazy creepypasta nonsense too, but a sequel that wasn't creepy at all would be fantastic as well!

Also I wonder what Sayori attached that rope to? I didn't see any rafters in her room.

Edit: This morning I woke up with Monika's ending song playing in my head and felt like the bottom had dropped out of my stomach. Maybe it's because I watched supergreatfriend play the game with bi-weekly updates over the course of a month and then spent a large part of yesterday playing the game twice more to try and see all the content, but I'm feeling kind of depressed about the whole thing. Is the game that good, or am I just that emotional?

Also it really sucks that the game railroads you so hard after Sayori's erasure, because Natsuki barely got any time to develop at all! We hardly learn anything about her home troubles at all! The lack of impact for your choices is one of the most disappointing things about the game.

Also that talk with Monika at the end reminded me of Seaman. Just the way she goes on about life. I thought it was pretty funny to imagine her speaking with his accent.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Yeah, watched an LP of it (the best way to enjoy VNs). Cute little game with some solid twists. Seems like exactly the think that would be up @Marik2's ally.

JUST MONIKA

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
jhoroz said:
Silentpony said:
Looks unwholesome and like it smells of used cheeseburgers...
I think that sums up you and 90% of your fucking posts here, you fucking autistic forced pony ******

You're just so edgy and cool! I mean how can anyone argue with you Rick and Morty avatar! You must have a quadruple digit IQ and just love Pickle Rick!
Oh beautiful Edge-Lord! I am in awe of your razor sharp, clever edge!
Truly you must be an epicly smart and cool exemplar of humanity, with friends and family who love and respect you. We do not deserve your edge here, oh edge lord!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
You have no excuses!
How about the fact I loathe visual novels with harem premises (dark twist or not) starring identical cut outs of the same girl differentiated only by hair length and/or boob size and featuring a shit-ton of text which goes to great lengths to either state the obvious or describe in minute detail things that aren't being shown because there was no budget for animation?

Good for you if you enjoy them, sorry if that comes across as curt, but it seems every year people hail the coming of a new anime-style visual novel that's totally a game changer for the genre (even if it looks and plays the same for the first 10 hours but by the end it has morphed into something actually interesting). I couldn't stomach Katawa Shoujo and the first 40 minutes of Doki Doki are more of the same, I don't care if the waifu gives you a blowjob after the credits.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Johnny Novgorod said:
Drathnoxis said:
You have no excuses!
How about the fact I loathe visual novels with harem premises (dark twist or not) starring identical cut outs of the same girl differentiated only by hair length and/or boob size and featuring a shit-ton of text which goes to great lengths to either state the obvious or describe in minute detail things that aren't being shown because there was no budget for animation?
Actually the girls all look very distinct!

Edit: Saw your edit. Well if you can't stand visual novels, then I guess that's the end of it. Good for you to have given it a chance anyway. You do need to be able to stomach the base genre of any work to appreciate the standouts. Especially since a large part of the appeal is still forming a connection with the characters. Someone could show me the best heavy metal song in existence and I still wouldn't be able to stand it.

Drathnoxis said:
It's fantastic! If you want a highly out of the ordinary visual novel that really does something different go play it!
It's free and you can download it from Steam or the developer's website. You have no excuses, go do it now! The game takes a while to really get going, but it's all the better for the slow buildup. That's all you need to know.

Oh man! o_o Now it's changed to just Monika! I wonder how that happened? I definitely had the other girls in there too when I made the thread... but who can complain about more Monika, right?

Well played, that's perfect!
At least I hope it was a mod that did it o_o

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Saw a lets play of the first hour, then got into playing it myself before any of the twists began to happen. There was definitely some need to have some stuff expanded on more with some of the characters, and a bit more choice would've been nice. All said, as a free game and a passion project, it was enjoyable.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Yeah, watched an LP of it (the best way to enjoy VNs). Cute little game with some solid twists. Seems like exactly the think that would be up @Marik2's ally.

JUST MONIKA
Yeah saw a play through and it was good. I can write an essay on what I thought about it.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Marik2 said:
BreakfastMan said:

JUST MONIKA
Yeah saw a play through and it was good. I can write an essay on what I thought about it.
Waiting for that!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Marik2 said:
BreakfastMan said:

JUST MONIKA
Waiting for that!
Sorry, can't type that out on the phone.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Marik2 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Marik2 said:
BreakfastMan said:

JUST MONIKA
Waiting for that!
Sorry, can't type that out on the phone.
Voice recognition features are getting pretty good these days, you could probably just dictate the thing. Or write it out on paper and take a photo and post that.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Completely agreed, DDLC grabs by the undercarriage and doesn't let go for an instant.
Also, while all of the characters are pretty good, I'd say Yuri's a cut above the rest.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
There's only one thing that you need to know about this game:

Just Monika.

Also: it is truly the best VN I've ever played. :^)

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Drathnoxis said:

I know it would kind of defeat the whole point the game was trying to make, but does anybody else wish that there was a version of the game that played things completely straight with no self aware club president? I just really enjoyed the characters and would love a chance to spend more time with them and get a nice happy ending with some full character arcs. I love all the crazy creepypasta nonsense too, but a sequel that wasn't creepy at all would be fantastic as well!

Also I wonder what Sayori attached that rope to? I didn't see any rafters in her room.

Edit: This morning I woke up with Monika's ending song playing in my head and felt like the bottom had dropped out of my stomach. Maybe it's because I watched supergreatfriend play the game with bi-weekly updates over the course of a month and then spent a large part of yesterday playing the game twice more to try and see all the content, but I feel kind of like I'm experiencing actual grief over the ending. Is the game that good, or am I just that emotional?

Also it really sucks that the game railroads you so hard after Sayori's erasure, because Natsuki barely got any time to develop at all! We hardly learn anything about her home troubles at all! The lack of impact for your choices is one of the most disappointing things about the game.

Also that talk with Monika at the end reminded me of Seaman. Just the way she goes on about life. I thought it was pretty funny to imagine her speaking with his accent.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Silentpony said:
jhoroz said:
Silentpony said:
Looks unwholesome and like it smells of used cheeseburgers...
I think that sums up you and 90% of your fucking posts here, you fucking autistic forced pony ******

You're just so edgy and cool! I mean how can anyone argue with you Rick and Morty avatar! You must have a quadruple digit IQ and just love Pickle Rick!
Oh beautiful Edge-Lord! I am in awe of your razor sharp, clever edge!
Truly you must be an epicly smart and cool exemplar of humanity, with friends and family who love and respect you. We do not deserve your edge here, oh edge lord!
What the hell did you do to that guy?

On topic, the game sounds like it has a really interesting premise. But visual novels are sooooo boring. I have books to read if all I wanted to do was read, Visual Novels are one step below Telltale games for me and I hate Telltale games. I don't care how good the story is, I play video games for more than story.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
CritialGaming said:
On topic, the game sounds like it has a really interesting premise. But visual novels are sooooo boring. I have books to read if all I wanted to do was read, Visual Novels are one step below Telltale games for me and I hate Telltale games. I don't care how good the story is, I play video games for more than story.
It's not just a book with visuals. It does utilize the digital format quite a bit. This is an experience you could never get on paper. More would be spoilers though.

Marik2 said:
Spoiler Snip.
Do you mind putting that in a spoiler tag for people who haven't played the game?

I actually felt like that bit was a little silly, especially her expression when doing the stabbing. The bit after when you spend the weekend with her body was well done though. Took me a while to realize that she wasn't actually talking and was going grey.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I accidently clicked on a let's play video for it. Now youtube thinks I like underage cartoon girls. Goddamit Japan.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
CritialGaming said:
I honestly have no idea who he is. I don't recognize the name, but maybe I posted ponies in a thread of his? No idea.
Don't you DARE take credit for something I probably did. If anyone is posting ponies on a random thread its me. But yeah, I don't know who that guy is either, he sounds triggered.