Donald Glover Will be Young Lando in Han Solo Movie

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Donald Glover Will be Young Lando in Han Solo Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357355.jpg
Community's Donald Glover will portray the younger version of Lando Calrissian in the upcoming Han Solo spin-off movie.

While the Han Solo Star Wars spin-off. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166862-Alden-Ehrenreich-Jack-Reynor-Taron-Egerton-Make-Star-Wars-Spin-Off-Short-List] Donald Glover, best known for his role in Community, will be staring as a younger version of Lando Calrissian.

Star Wars.com [http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-glover-cast-as-young-lando-calrissian-in-upcoming-han-solo-star-wars-stand-alone-film] has the full scoop on the casting decision. "We're so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us," said directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. "These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we'd like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever."

While Glover is best known for Community, he's also earned his sci-fi chops in the acclaimed FX series Atlanta.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

Source: Star Wars.com [http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-glover-cast-as-young-lando-calrissian-in-upcoming-han-solo-star-wars-stand-alone-film]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
A quick check reveals that Glover is only 10 years younger than Billy Dee when he first appeared in Empire Strikes Back.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
CyanCat47 said:
I don't watch community. Is the guy any good?
Good is an understatement if you ask me. Him and Abed were the heart and soul of that show. Yeah I'm into this casting choice big time.

Kiall

Jan 8, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
While Glover is best known for Community, he's also earned his sci-fi chops in the acclaimed FX series Atlanta

[\quote]

I just started Atlanta pretty sure it's a comedy about the Atlant 'rap game' not sci-if.

Btw pretty good show.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Bit of a different role to Community, which is the only thing I've seen him in, but that role needed a lot different acting skills, and I can actually see him doing pretty well in this new role.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm just happy to hear Lando is getting some love in these new Star Wars movies. Now, let's see him in the new trilogy.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Saltyk said:
I'm just happy to hear Lando is getting some love in these new Star Wars movies. Now, let's see him in the new trilogy.
Right? They brought back pretty much everyone--even Admiral Ackbar--but they couldn't find a way to get Lando? Not even a throw-away line of, "He's off running his business in so and so." And it's not like it would have been impossible to get Billy Dee Williams to return. They guy seems to love doing Lando, because every time Lando shows up in some spin off, be it Rebels or even The Lego Movie, he's there.

So yeah, here's hoping that this is a sign that Lando will show up in the new trilogy at least once.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
CyanCat47 said:
He's excellent. He also appeared for a few episodes on Girls, playing a black Republican that Hannah dates, where he showed off a much subtler acting style. To be honest, I think he'll make a perfect fit for the role of Lando, as he's shown on community that he can pull off that easy-going swagger that defined Lando.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
CyanCat47 said:
He was easily my favourite character. He starts off as your typical jock, but his character evolves into something truly special.

Oct 22, 2011
What timeline is this anyway?

I can't really remember him from anything but Community(forgot he was in The Martian), so can't tell how much of a fit he'd be for Lando.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I'm quite excited by this news, really. Glover was a writer on one of my favorite shows, 30 Rock, did Community of course, but I've also caught some of his stand-up.

But probably the most exciting thing about it is that it seems like they're going for something more light-hearted. That's what it should be, fun space adventures about smuggling. If the writing of the smuggling parts TFA are any indication of how they're going to do this movie, I think that's a good sign.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Wait is Atlanta Sci-fi or is writer joking?I haven't been watching it because ads have told me absolutely nothing about the show aside from the fact that it looks kinda generic and dull.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I don't doubt that he has the acting chops for the role, but can he pull off the look?

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, I don't see it.

But that is because all of the Star Wars characters are pretty iconic, and I could not see them as someone else.

That Han Solo movie is going to be a tough sell.