Donnie Darko

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Goldeneye103X2 said:
Its a very weird movie, but also my favorite movie ever, and I've seen A LOT of movies. The reason I like it so much is because it takes its audience as an intelligent one, it doesn't give you the answers, it just gives you puzzle pieces, and you have to figure it out. My theory is that...
when donnie got out of his bed and went to frank, he cheated death, and by avoiding the supposed timeline, he created a tangent universe, which couldn't support itself because it wasn't determined. The reason Donnie was able to listen to frank was because frank was a manipulated dead from the already collapsed but then forming universe.
So, in other words, your view is exactly what is explained in the director's cut then?

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Goldeneye103X2 said:
Its a very weird movie, but also my favorite movie ever, and I've seen A LOT of movies. The reason I like it so much is because it takes its audience as an intelligent one, it doesn't give you the answers, it just gives you puzzle pieces, and you have to figure it out. My theory is that...
when donnie got out of his bed and went to frank, he cheated death, and by avoiding the supposed timeline, he created a tangent universe, which couldn't support itself because it wasn't determined. The reason Donnie was able to listen to frank was because frank was a manipulated dead from the already collapsed but then forming universe.
This is a very interesting theory. Different from my own. Thanks.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
I am surprised nobody has looked into the idea that in ones last seconds we could see life in how it could be ideal rather than recapping events during our life, but death would still be a happy release (which is what Donnie asks for). And that is done by altering the fabric of reality in a way that creates a connected alternate reality which follows the philosophy that you are at your best when you know you are going to die. I personally am waiting for somebodies views on timetravel, pergatory, destiny vs free will, alternate states of mind, purpose of life, God...etc.

Interesting views, so far...except when one cops out and says the movie can't be interpreted. That doesn't address the fact that a movie like this is supposed to inspire thought. This is a good start though, please continue escaptionists.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
I have often thought that it was proving the existence of a god. See, Frank(He is manipulated dead) is god, or at least his voice, guiding Darko into what he must do to save the universe. The others are the manipulated living, they are there to hint Darko in the right direction. Its why Grandma Death went to check her mail, it wasn't because she wanted to have someone write, no, it was so some would say "Someone needs to write her." (Movie quote, "Someone need to write that *****") The spears that Donnie sees are the determined path created by said god, this allows him to see into the future and see what he must do exactly. Gretchen is the want, without her, Donnie would have no want to save the world. She is the reason Darko kills himself, he is protecting her, and also everyone else. Donnie is also blessed with rather odd powers, this is a sign that god has blessed him. Its why when he asks Frank, "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?" Frank replies, "Why do you wear that stupid human suit?" because Darko knows he is more than human now. This is a very deep movie, and its not supposed to be taken as a Christian movie either, judging by all the unmoral things Darko does in the movie. But I am hard pressed to see how this movie would make sense other than saying it is trying to prove the existence of a god using a very scientific idea.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
A single action can cause tremendous consequences, and that the words ''Cellar Door'' work really well together

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Snowalker said:
I have often thought that it was proving the existence of a god. See, Frank(He is manipulated dead) is god, or at least his voice, guiding Darko into what he must do to save the universe. The others are the manipulated living, they are there to hint Darko in the right direction. Its why Grandma Death went to check her mail, it wasn't because she wanted to have someone write, no, it was so some would say "Someone needs to write her." (Movie quote, "Someone need to write that *****") The spears that Donnie sees are the determined path created by said god, this allows him to see into the future and see what he must do exactly. Gretchen is the want, without her, Donnie would have no want to save the world. She is the reason Darko kills himself, he is protecting her, and also everyone else. Donnie is also blessed with rather odd powers, this is a sign that god has blessed him. Its why when he asks Frank, "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?" Frank replies, "Why do you wear that stupid human suit?" because Darko knows he is more than human now. This is a very deep movie, and its not supposed to be taken as a Christian movie either, judging by all the unmoral things Darko does in the movie. But I am hard pressed to see how this movie would make sense other than saying it is trying to prove the existence of a god using a very scientific idea.
Good post. Different from my views, but you have definitely looked into the movie with depth. You have a point about knowing he's more than human. Even when Gretchen ask's about him being a super hero, and he say's "What makes you think I'm not." I always thought of Frank as a guide, for he has human traits of regret...but it is an interesting concept of Frank is God, since death does connect the two realities. Thanks.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Samcanuck said:
Snowalker said:
Good post. Different from my views, but you have definitely looked into the movie with depth. You have a point about knowing he's more than human. Even when Gretchen ask's about him being a super hero, and he say's "What makes you think I'm not." I always thought of Frank as a guide, for he has human traits of regret...but it is an interesting concept of Frank is God, since death does connect the two realities. Thanks.
Well, as for the Frank with regret, I think Frank is more of a vessel rather than a straight up clone of god. I think Frank is hearing what god says and repeats it in way that Donnie understand, its almost that Frank and Donnie are friends, Its like this. Frank is the voice of god, you know, the prophets claim to hear the message, so in a sense Frank is a prophet. Where as Donnie is the equivalent to Jesus in that he is the one who acts on gods behalf. This all is shown to be this way as well, Donnie punishes the sinner (The pedophile guy) by burning his house down. (possible metaphor for hell?) He dies so our universe can continue on. (Jesus died for our sins) It all fits too well in my opinion for it not to be close to this. I once read a well written thesis over the movie, using this exact idea, I just can't seem to find it.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
Snowalker said:
Samcanuck said:
Snowalker said:
Well, as for the Frank with regret, I think Frank is more of a vessel rather than a straight up clone of god. I think Frank is hearing what god says and repeats it in way that Donnie understand, its almost that Frank and Donnie are friends, Its like this. Frank is the voice of god, you know, the prophets claim to hear the message, so in a sense Frank is a prophet. Where as Donnie is the equivalent to Jesus in that he is the one who acts on gods behalf. This all is shown to be this way as well, Donnie punishes the sinner (The pedophile guy) by burning his house down. (possible metaphor for hell?) He dies so our universe can continue on. (Jesus died for our sins) It all fits too well in my opinion for it not to be close to this. I once read a well written thesis over the movie, using this exact idea, I just can't seem to find it.
Hmm...fair enough, your idea has a lot of meat to it.