Don't Breathe - Okay, Movie, Whatever You Want

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Hmm, okay. Follow-up question; are they accompanied with loud sudden noises? My Asperger's makes kinda sensitive to that. I hope not because I'm really interested in this movie.
That's typically how they work, so yeah.

I think there's one (it's in the trailer) that's mostly silent, although it might've been accompanied by a soundtrack cue. Can't remember for sure. But there aren't too many, anyway.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
KissingSunlight said:
Still, if you break into someone's house. You deserve whatever bad thing that happens to you. Regardless, if the person is a good, normal person or a raging psycho.
I'll keep that in mind when the three year old kids next door break into my house. I mean, I COULD act like a human being and do something that was in proportion to their age and intent, but nah, I'm in the position to do whatever I want to them apparently.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Hawki said:
KissingSunlight said:
Still, if you break into someone's house. You deserve whatever bad thing that happens to you. Regardless, if the person is a good, normal person or a raging psycho.
I'll keep that in mind when the three year old kids next door break into my house. I mean, I COULD act like a human being and do something that was in proportion to their age and intent, but nah, I'm in the position to do whatever I want to them apparently.
This is a topic for another thread. You can do whatever you want when someone breaks into your house. However, don't expect me be sympathetic or outraged when some burglar(s) gets killed when they break into someone else's house who doesn't share your compassion.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I went to see this movie myself. After watching it, my overall rating would be...a shrug and an "eh". It's not a bad film, per se, but if you've seen enough horror movies (and I have), the majority of it isn't going to be that shocking or scary. It doesn't have the creeping fear that a film like, say, "Mama" or "The Conjuring" does. It's a decent thriller, but the antagonist doesn't come across as menacing enough to be truly intimidating. The final twist is definitely enough to make a lot of people squirm, but I think once again too much of the film was spoiled in the trailers and while an entertaining sit, I don't think this is a film I'll be adding to my collection; one screening is enough to satisfy my interest.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
KissingSunlight said:
Hawki said:
KissingSunlight said:
This is a topic for another thread. You can do whatever you want when someone breaks into your house. However, don't expect me be sympathetic or outraged when some burglar(s) gets killed when they break into someone else's house who doesn't share your compassion.
That may be, but then you will be spending the rest of your life in jail, because self-defense only goes so far (You cannot kill if intruder is unarmed, you cannot kill if there is one person, if you kill by false enticement (also known as honey trap) you are a murderer, torture and cruelty invalidates self-defense). Your lack of morality does not trump legal precedence and law, and it?s not compassion, it?s ethics. What is legal and what is not legal is clear as day.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
KissingSunlight said:
This movie is a skip for me. I love the concept of getting chased by a blind psycho. However, it's hard to feel sympathetic to the people who being hunted by the "monster". When they are burglars trying to steal from a blind man. If the victims were more sympathetic, I would check this movie out.
Same. However, I'm wondering if this could unintentionally turn it into something like Taken, where I find myself secretly cheering as I watch the blind vet hunt down these criminals.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
InsanityRequiem said:
KissingSunlight said:
Hawki said:
KissingSunlight said:
That may be, but then you will be spending the rest of your life in jail, because self-defense only goes so far (You cannot kill if intruder is unarmed, you cannot kill if there is one person, if you kill by false enticement (also known as honey trap) you are a murderer, torture and cruelty invalidates self-defense). Your lack of morality does not trump legal precedence and law, and it?s not compassion, it?s ethics. What is legal and what is not legal is clear as day.
If you want to surrender yourself when you get confronted by a burglar, then you deserve whatever happens to you.

Whenever I read about a burglar getting killed. Regardless, of how legal the self-defense was in that case, I don't feel sorry for the burglar. There is no rationalization that is going to convince me that the burglar deserves to be considered a "victim".

I hope I never find out what I would do if someone breaks into my house. In a just world, I should be allowed to kill that person and put that burglar's head on a pike as a warning for other criminals thinking about breaking in.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My son once asked me why one should like an unpleasant movie: one that makes you angry, or scared or cry. I told him, if you are any of those, you aren't bored. (Sometimes I cannot handle it: I could not finish watching a re-enactment of Flight 93 on 9/11 even though I was not bored).

For some reason, you don't have to like a character to feel their terror (though sometimes it is oddly fun that bad or seriously flawed people be afraid).

This movie is getting generally really good reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dont_breathe_2016 . I'm glad Marter agrees. Looks to be worth watching and I hope to see it soon. It will be a hoot to see Stephen Lang. Funny, I think he started in movies playing wimps. Then came Avatar.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Hey Marty
Marter said:
Don't Breathe is another really solid horror movie in 2016. What is going on?
Does The Witch count as 2016? Can't remember when the festival run ended and the theatrical push started. Only other "horror" film I can think of from 2016 was The Neon Demon and... that's the first NWR movie I just straight up didn't like. Pity, it's such a pretty film.

As for Don't Breathe, I'm pleasantly surprised that most of the things people in this thread are worried about are really non-issues due to the writing. The film finds a way to make most of the protagonists sympathetic, even if we know they're doing something completely unjustifiable. Yeah, the wigger kid is pretty awful - but sometimes awful people are necessary to tell a compelling story.

Going any further is entering blatant spoiler territory, so I may as well dive in...

Anybody else think the accent was all too intentional to make "The Blind Man" an analog to Austrian criminal Josef Fritzl?For those who clicked and don't know, he was a man who's teenage daughter disappeared, only to re-appear 24 years later, only to have been kept imprisoned in her father's basement, giving birth to his children the entire time.

The things the Blind Man did were in no way forgivable, but we can understand why he felt justified. Considering what he was doing, that took guts.

It's not something that's easy to emulate or has that many layers to pick apart. It's not exactly a franchise waiting to happen either, so I don't imagine it'll get as much attention a few months from now. All the same, it's a very well made film and I'm glad to see it getting both the critical and box-office reaction it deserves.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
UberGott said:
Does The Witch count as 2016? Can't remember when the festival run ended and the theatrical push started. Only other "horror" film I can think of from 2016 was The Neon Demon and... that's the first NWR movie I just straight up didn't like. Pity, it's such a pretty film.
I really like The Neon Demon, so I'd count it. It was very divisive, though, so I'd understand if you wouldn't want to.

The other ones I'm talking about are: The VVitch (Feb. release), The Conjuring 2, Lights Out, and The Shallows. And if you count Netflix, Hush was solid. Critical and audience consensus agrees on all of those, I believe.

We still have Blair Witch, Ouija 2, Rings, Incarnate, Keep Watching, and The Bye Bye Man. Granted, it's likely only 1 or 2 of those are any good, but that'd still make it 7-8 solid widely released horror movies in a year, which is far more than usual.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
First I'm hearing of The Shallows - how the heck did this fly under my radar? Thanks Marter!