Don't Expect Sid Meier To Mooch Cash Via Kickstarter

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Starke said:
DTWolfwood said:
Coincidentally, someone of his protege pedigree would certainly garner more kickstarter money than your average joe wanting to get his project off the ground.

Also to be fair he has the clout to tell publishers what he wants made, not many developers have that option. So yes its nice when the publisher is willing to give you a chance. Not so much when they don't.

But good points nonetheless, good on you Sid Meier. (Love saying his name for some reason.)
Please, please, tell me you meant "pedigree". A protege is someone you've mentored, a pedigree is a background, history, or reputation. Otherwise that whole thing is... weird.
There lol
Whoo! :D *Celebrates by getting drunk and vomiting on someone.*
BanicRhys said:
mechalynx said:
First of all, I'm from Sweden, the country with insane taxes that are for some reason even harsher on the video game industry than on the rest of the media. I have no insight whatsoever in how the prices are set in the rest of Europe. I'd love to see some proof to what you said about GMG and 2K.
I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I'll just place it here.

Steam as it is for me normally.
[http://imgur.com/IKj2ZH9]

Steam when I connect through a US based proxy.
[http://imgur.com/qXIErZ0]

I don't claim to know much about this stuff, but it seems rather odd to charge Australians almost twice the amount for a digital product.
Isn't that because of an import tariff on entertainment media? It's something like a 60% - 75% markup. It's not the company charging you more, it's your own government ripping you off.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Starke said:
Isn't that because of an import tariff on entertainment media?
Nope, no import tariff on digital products.

It's because publishers want to keep 'price parity' between retail and digital sales... Same reason gog.com was forced to raise the Australian price of The Witcher 2 before they scrapped regional pricing altogether - regional retail distributor threatened lawsuits if they didn't raise the price match the retail sticker... for which Bandai-Namco can forever suck my arse.

Also, Valve, could you at least have the decency to make the publishers fuck us in our own currency?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Starke said:
Isn't that because of an import tariff on entertainment media?
Nope, no import tariff on digital products.

It's because publishers want to keep 'price parity' between retail and digital sales... Same reason gog.com was forced to raise the Australian price of The Witcher 2 before they scrapped regional pricing altogether - regional retail distributor threatened lawsuits if they didn't raise the price match the retail sticker... for which Bandai-Namco can forever suck my arse.

Also, Valve, could you at least have the decency to make the publishers fuck us in our own currency?
So, which is it. Is it the publishers want to screw you, or the retailers are willing to sue to keep the digital prices up?