Don't Get What's So Great About Mara Jade After Finishing Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Hoplon said:
oh god yeah that is nothing like her in the Thrawn trilogy, which where about the only good books in the EU. of course i was about 14 when i read those books so "good" is not a set measure.
Since you quoted so much I can't tell if you're referring to the video I linked you or me agreeing with [user]Jadak[/user]. Or both. Unless you quoted [user]Jadak[/user] and my response to him by mistake.

Eh, I think I had decent standards when I was 14. Maybe that's just me being delusional, but, still, don't sell yourself short.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I liked Mara, hated the way they killed her off though.

Crushed by a moon, and Mara gets offed by Darth Wasted-Potential? Ugh.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
jamail77 said:
Hoplon said:
oh god yeah that is nothing like her in the Thrawn trilogy, which where about the only good books in the EU. of course i was about 14 when i read those books so "good" is not a set measure.
Since you quoted so much I can't tell if you're referring to the video I linked you or me agreeing with [user]Jadak[/user]. Or both. Unless you quoted [user]Jadak[/user] and my response to him by mistake.

Eh, I think I had decent standards when I was 14. Maybe that's just me being delusional, but, still, don't sell yourself short.
Edited to make that a little clearer. sorry.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Jux said:

I could spend hours complaining about the Legacy series. And people thought the NJO was bad (I actually kinda liked it). After reading the first Republic Commando novel I loved Karen Traviss. After Legacy and the rest of the Republic Commando novels? She's getting a personal mention in my suicide note.

OT: She's a badass in the EU. The game may not be the best example(I haven't finished it, it's just too much of a throwback for me. Jedi Academy and Outcast are my favourites), but she ended up being a favourite among some of the more prominent EU writers, and so she ended up as one of the mainstays of the EU, and there's a lot of story surrounding her.

I'd recommend reading "Allegiance" if you're interested in more. She's a POV character, and it's set in between films, so you don't need EU background (The EU is a clusterfuck and very bloated. It's got some good stuff, I enjoyed a lot of it, and still own some of the novels, but a lot of it's interconnected, and you need to find dozens of hard-to-find books to get through it, so wookiepeedia is a good place to start). It gives you a good idea of her Imperial headspace. Bear in mind, all that changes down the line.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Loonyyy said:
Jux said:

I could spend hours complaining about the Legacy series. And people thought the NJO was bad (I actually kinda liked it). After reading the first Republic Commando novel I loved Karen Traviss. After Legacy and the rest of the Republic Commando novels? She's getting a personal mention in my suicide note.

OT: She's a badass in the EU. The game may not be the best example(I haven't finished it, it's just too much of a throwback for me. Jedi Academy and Outcast are my favourites), but she ended up being a favourite among some of the more prominent EU writers, and so she ended up as one of the mainstays of the EU, and there's a lot of story surrounding her.

I'd recommend reading "Allegiance" if you're interested in more. She's a POV character, and it's set in between films, so you don't need EU background (The EU is a clusterfuck and very bloated. It's got some good stuff, I enjoyed a lot of it, and still own some of the novels, but a lot of it's interconnected, and you need to find dozens of hard-to-find books to get through it, so wookiepeedia is a good place to start). It gives you a good idea of her Imperial headspace. Bear in mind, all that changes down the line.
Hell, you don't have to tell me man, I own nearly all the EU books, and just about every SW comic that has come out. I'm a bit of a collector, SW was my gateway drug to nerddom.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Loonyyy said:
The game may not be the best example, but when all that old EU was still canon apparently the game was canonical with the rest of her EU history if I'm understanding Wookieepedia right (it should skip right to relevant section and it's relatively short). Take from that what you will.

Yeah, Academy and Outcast were my favorites too. Rosh was very annoying though. I mean, Academy didn't have much going for it in terms of story but Rosh just pushed it over the edge.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
jamail77 said:
Loonyyy said:
The game may not be the best example, but when all that old EU was still canon apparently the game was canonical with the rest of her EU history if I'm understanding Wookieepedia right (it should skip right to relevant section and it's relatively short). Take from that what you will.

Yeah, Academy and Outcast were my favorites too. Rosh was very annoying though. I mean, Academy didn't have much going for it in terms of story but Rosh just pushed it over the edge.
Yeah, the games are canon. Rosh is the worst. I didn't mind the story, most of the levels are self-contained in that regard, and the overall arc isn't that bad, but they made absolutely no effort to make Rosh likeable. Why did he fall to the darkside? because he was a whiner and a nuisance and he wanted to be better than you. It's like what they did with Anakin in the prequels.

Jux said:
Hell, you don't have to tell me man, I own nearly all the EU books, and just about every SW comic that has come out. I'm a bit of a collector, SW was my gateway drug to nerddom.
Oh god, there are others. One of my fondest memories was discovering "Edge of Destruction" in the State Library and getting into the NJO. I'd read a few other EU novels, but they're really hard to come by where I'm from, I had to buy most of them myself to get through it.

I'm scared of reading Fate of the Jedi after the betrayal that was Legacy.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
You will not get a good idea of Mara Jade's character without reading some of the Timothy Zahn novels. Like most have suggested, you really should read Heir to the Empire and if you like it, you can finish off the Thrawn trilogy, as it truly is some of the best that the SW Universe (canon or otherwise) has to offer. Zahn is one of my favorite authors and he is really the only one who I felt has represented the characters of SW correctly. Others have come close, but only Zahn made me believe that the characters he was writing about were the same ones I saw in the movies.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Loonyyy said:
jamail77 said:
Loonyyy said:

Yeah, the games are canon. Rosh is the worst. I didn't mind the story, most of the levels are self-contained in that regard, and the overall arc isn't that bad, but they made absolutely no effort to make Rosh likeable. Why did he fall to the darkside? because he was a whiner and a nuisance and he wanted to be better than you. It's like what they did with Anakin in the prequels.
Oh god Rosh was *bad*. It made me want to kill him every time except dark side Jaden is almost as bad. But then regular Jaden was dim too

Apr 5, 2008
jamail77 said:
So, Mara Jade fans what makes her such a great character? If you've played the game I'm referring to does it misrepresent her? As a fan of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight video game series I felt left down enough at this subpar installment let alone a character I liked, Kyle Katarn, being replaced by someone as hollow as who I got. So, knowing she's misrepresented would be comforting.
I never played the MotS expansion tho I did love the Jedi Knight game series. My knowledge of Mara Jade is from the EU books that I read for many years, ending with the end of the New Jedi Order series. My memory is quite rusty but I think I remember enough. There's probably a wiki out there with more, and more accurate information if it should interest.

In the mid 90s, Timothy Zahn wrote a new SW trilogy of books starting with Heir to the Empire. He introduced many new characters, the most important of which were Grand Admiral Thrawn (a Chiss, who became leader of the Empire), Jorus C'baoth (a clone of a Jedi Master created by the Emperor at the same time as his clone army (whose creation was canonically changed in Episode 2), Captain Gilad Pellaeon (Thrawn's second and much later in the EU, the leader of the Empire), Talon Kardde (an information broker) and Mara Jade.

IIRC, Mara Jade was the former Emperor's Hand. While Darth Vader was Palpatine's second, Mara Jade was his covert operative. She would gather intelligence, perform assassinations, subertfuge, etc. Whatever was needed to keep the empire running from behind the scenes. When the Emperor died with the second Death Star's destruction, she found herself out of a job. I don't remember what happened in this interim but she ended up working for Talon Kardde as his best agent. The events of Heir to the Empire brought Luke Skywalker to Kardde who assigned Mara Jade to join him on a mission. All this time, she hated Luke for both his role in the Emperor's death and because she had been mind-controlled/brain-programmed to hate him by the Emperor. I don't believe she was trained as a Jedi at this point, tho she was always "force sensitive".

The status quo between her and Luke was maintained for quite a while. She was a somewhat ambiguous character and absolutely not a part of the New Republic. She was involved in many storylines tho and we, the readers, got to know her very well. While she was a "frenemy" for a long time, she eventually was able to break her "programming" to hate Luke and in Timothy Zahn's more recent Hand of Thrawn duology, it was just her and him on a mission by themselves. I believe this duology is where cortosis came to be also (a metal that resists lightsabers). Towards the end, Luke and Mara were fighting for their lives against overwhelming odds. They had a sorta "back-to-back" fight scene where both melded with each other thru the force, in a sense sharing everything about themselves...their senses, memories, innermost beings, etc. After the dust was settled, Luke proposed to her and they were married in a 4 part Dark Horse comic book series.

By the time of NJO, they were married and they eventually had a son called Ben Skywalker. Luke was on Yavin most of the time as the Jedi leader with her heavily involved in running the Jedi order as well. She is a great character overall and certainly one of, if not the most developed one who only existed in the EU. Starting as a villain, turning quite grey and eventually a heel-face turn. She also went from force sensitive to full fledged Jedi, from hating Luke to loving him, to being a mother. She's had so much character development and is thus one of the fans' favourites.

One cool thing about the EU, was the different authors that contributed each created and developed their own characters, often as protagonists to their novels. Zahn gave us Kardde, Jade, C'Baoth and we also got Corran Horn (I believe from Kevin Anderson) and Kyp Durron. We got to see many interactions by these characters thru the books (in a similar way to the MCU with seperate hero movies and then bringing them together). I think NJO was it for me due to the sheer size (17 books I believe), the scope and impact it had on the galaxy. I did buy some post-NJO books but never read them and haven't been back to the EU since.

I must say tho, Zahn's books are spectacular. Heir to the Empire was the sole reason a 16-year old me, back in 1996, became a fan of Star Wars. At the time, I remember going to a mainstream bookstore to find more SW books, but the sales person advised Star Wars was such a niche/cult thing, I'd *never* find it in a mainstream store. I had to go to Forbidden Planet near Tottenham Ct. Road to find more (a big mistake since I'd just been directed to the equivalent of geek nirvana). Then Episode I happened and somehow SW became so immensely popular that it became the mainstream phenomenon it is now. HttE trilogy is not just a great SW story, but a great book trilogy period. I personally think Zahn is singularly responsible for the success and growth of the EU because of those three books. And Mara Jade is an important part of that success :)

PS. Kyle Katarn himself makes an appearance in the books also. There may have been others but I remember him being at a meeting of the Jedi Masters during the NJO. I really liked seeing him in the books, albeit not in a significant role.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
She's hot, has red hair and wears skimpy outfits.

LordLundar said:
Much like Bobba Fett, there's nothing in the official works that actually makes her compelling.
She's hardly "official" isn't she? She's always been a spin-off EU character.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
jamail77 said:
In the old EU I know Mara Jade had a lot of fans. I have little experience with the EU of Star Wars. There's little I've exposed myself to outside of the movies, cartoons, and video games. I am currently reading I, Jedi, which so far has featured Mara briefly as well, but other than that no real experience.

So, Mara Jade fans what makes her such a great character? If you've played the game I'm referring to does it misrepresent her? As a fan of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight video game series I felt left down enough at this subpar installment let alone a character I liked, Kyle Katarn, being replaced by someone as hollow as who I got. So, knowing she's misrepresented would be comforting.
To understand why Mara Jade is so popular is to first understand Timothy Zahn's influence over the Expanded Star Wars Universe. As the EU's first, and in many people's eyes the best, author, his characters have achieved the same influence status as the main characters of the original triology themselves. Heir to the Empire introduced three characters in particular that are considered the best characters of the EU: Grand Admiral Thrawn, Captain Pellaeon, and Mara Jade. All three characters were well liked because, in the Heir to the Emprie triology, they felt like actual characters from the movies. This is the main reason why people like the character so much. I really can't answer the other questions though.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Johnny Novgorod said:

LordLundar said:
Much like Bobba Fett, there's nothing in the official works that actually makes her compelling.
iirc the games are all canon (well, apart from Force Unleashed because those make NO sense) So they do qualify in that respect.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
jamail77 said:
I've heard Thrawn and Timothy Zahn get thrown around a lot. I'm not sure how much interest I have really. I just was a bit perplexed on her depiction in this game compared to her pedestal among EU fans. If I'm satisfied with I, Jedi I might read more of the EU and get around to Thrawn.
Whoo! That's a lot of...bad in that video clip. Real bad. Yeah, um...that's not Mara Jade. No. No no no. If that's the first time you've ever met her, then I see why you are not impressed. Also--and this is personal opinion here--I, Jedi is not the best book. It suffered from trying to fit in to a certain point in the timeline when stuff was already going on. It takes place during the events of another trilogy of books, so a lot of the stuff feels very forced and shoehorned in. So again, not the best representation of Mara, or Corran for that matter. The book was written so that it could tell a story, but at the same time it had to make sure it didn't step on any toes of the story that was taking place at the same time, at the same place, and as such, everyone gets undercut.

Anyway, as you said earlier, you are a bit late to the party. As such, so much of the stuff that made Mara new and exciting has been done to death in Star Wars now. When she first arrived, she truly was incredible and unique, but now we have characters like Ezra, a little orphan boy who picks up a lightsaber and is able to fight an Inquisitor and Vader. Not well, mind you, but still, it shows how much sense of 'wonder' has been lost. If every other person you meet has Force powers, then it stops being neat.
As for her working for the bad guys, it wasn't that she was working for the Empire that made her compelling. She worked for the Emperor himself. She was trained by him, had one-on-one talks with him. She was his personal assassin. But somehow, she wasn't tainted by the Dark Side. It wasn't that she was strong or something. It was she honestly believed she was on the right side, and that Vader was villain. Imagine that for a moment: How could you work for the most evil, twisted, corrupted person in the galaxy and still remain pure (in a sense) without becoming corrupted or doubting yourself? This was a huge mystery, and one that many of us wanted to know for a long time. When we finally got our answer, it only served to build her character even more.

Anyway, I'm sure you've noticed in this thread already because everyone is beating you over the head with it, but I'll say it again. If you really want to get a taste for her character, read Zahn's books. Don't let I, Jedi turn you off of other Star Wars books. Now, if you read the Thrawn trilogy and still don't like them, or Mara, then that is that. But truly, you should give them a shot.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
KingsGambit said:
One cool thing about the EU, was the different authors that contributed each created and developed their own characters, often as protagonists to their novels. Zahn gave us Kardde, Jade, C'Baoth and we also got Corran Horn (I believe from Kevin Anderson) and Kyp Durron. We got to see many interactions by these characters thru the books (in a similar way to the MCU with seperate hero movies and then bringing them together). I think NJO was it for me due to the sheer size (17 books I believe), the scope and impact it had on the galaxy. I did buy some post-NJO books but never read them and haven't been back to the EU since.
Horn was actually part of the X-Wing series of novels by Michael A. Stackpole. He and Aaron Allston did a pretty good job with those books, expanding Wedge's character and those of some other names mentioned in the SW movies, in addition to creating their own enjoyable characters.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
You've got things a bit backwards here. She's not well liked because she's in Mysteries of the Sith, she was in MOTS because she was already well liked.

Read the Thrawn trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn duology if you want insight. You might not like them, you might not like her - there are some people who just don't get on well with the EU. But among people who find at least something about the EU to enjoy, the five Thrawn books by Timothy Zahn are usually agreed to be the best.

I, Jedi's not great, either. It's a bit of an oddity, even in the EU. It's the only novel written in first person, and it's basically the story of the ultimate Mary Sue gaining super-Sue powers. He's a bit more bearable in the Rogue Squadron books, which themselves are decent. The Wraith Squadron sub-series absolutely kills it, though. Some of my favourite characters in the EU.

Apr 5, 2008
COMaestro said:
KingsGambit said:
Horn was actually part of the X-Wing series of novels by Michael A. Stackpole. He and Aaron Allston did a pretty good job with those books, expanding Wedge's character and those of some other names mentioned in the SW movies, in addition to creating their own enjoyable characters.
I did like Stackpole's novels but never picked up the Rogue Squadron series. I've only ever heard good things about them tho; in particular that Wedge and ....Darklighter(?) got the spotlight and became interesting, fleshed out characters themselves. I did like their respective appearances throughout the novels, and Horn had his moments in the spotlight as outright protagonist of course. It was cool to have the protagonist from one novel appear in another. But I did like these new characters that appeared from the authors...it greatly enhanced the SW universe and fleshed it out so much more. It was disappointing that Disney wrote the whole lot off as non-canon, but it's their billion dollar baby to do with as they please.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Loonyyy said:
Rosh is the worst. I didn't mind the story, most of the levels are self-contained in that regard, and the overall arc isn't that bad, but they made absolutely no effort to make Rosh likeable. Why did he fall to the darkside? because he was a whiner and a nuisance and he wanted to be better than you. It's like what they did with Anakin in the prequels.
Jux said:
Oh god Rosh was *bad*. It made me want to kill him every time except dark side Jaden is almost as bad. But then regular Jaden was dim too
All of this goes without needing to be said. It should be blatantly obvious to anyone who has played those games...and has good taste in characters.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Whoo! That's a lot of...bad in that video clip. Real bad. Yeah, um...that's not Mara Jade. No. No no no. If that's the first time you've ever met her, then I see why you are not impressed.
Well, like I said in replies here and there in this thread my OP is a bit misleading. To quote myself:
jamail77 said:
I know it isn't where she came from, but it doesn't give a good impression. The book I mentioned, I, Jedi, shows Mara Jade in a different light. They don't seem like the same character; even so, she didn't impress me much in that book either. My OP is a little misleading. While I have next to no experience with the EU I have heard/read things here and there.[quite a lot here and there actually]..mostly from Wookieepedia and TVTropes, more than I probably should have without having actually read the related stories first. So, I know she is supposed to be this badass villain to...smuggler...I think(?) to hero to Luke Skywalker's wife. That doesn't come across very well in the game.
So, it's not necessarily my first time getting acquainted with her, but I suppose it is my first time getting acquainted with her properly. Reading Wookieepedia summaries and TVTropes won't give you all the nuances of a character or story. Even before I played I heard she was badly represented even for a character included to make a quick buck by leveraging her EU popularity. But, I had difficulty imagining they would depict someone THAT different from what I heard and the summaries I read. Even so, the game was canonical with the rest of her EU history according to Wookieepedia (it should skip right to relevant section and it's relatively short). Take from that what you will.

I also should mention I have these audio story CDs that my Dad used to own. When I was younger I listened to all of them. I know it's in the books too. I don't think this thread needs spoiler tags considering those of you most likely to see and respond, but it had to do with the Emperor returning due to some secret back up plan involving some force technique transferring his spirit into clones of himself, Luke pretending to turn the dark side to stop this from within...or something...the details are hazy but I remember the general gist of the story. Even at a relatively very young ago those...weren't very good honestly.

Don't want to ramble on, so my point is I do have minor exposure to the EU outside of the movies, games, and books, more than my OP implies. Not much compared to the rest of you but something to consider in your responses I suppose.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Also--and this is personal opinion here--I, Jedi is not the best book. It suffered from trying to fit in to a certain point in the timeline when stuff was already going on. It takes place during the events of another trilogy of books, so a lot of the stuff feels very forced and shoehorned in. So again, not the best representation of Mara, or Corran for that matter. The book was written so that it could tell a story, but at the same time it had to make sure it didn't step on any toes of the story that was taking place at the same time, at the same place, and as such, everyone gets undercut.
Yeah, I finished it and didn't come out all that satisfied. It's awkwardly written at points and I think it has more to do with just trying to squeeze itself into another story taking place. Some of the writing is just bizarre.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Anyway, as you said earlier, you are a bit late to the party. As such, so much of the stuff that made Mara new and exciting has been done to death in Star Wars now. When she first arrived, she truly was incredible and unique, but now we have characters like Ezra, a little orphan boy who picks up a lightsaber and is able to fight an Inquisitor and Vader. Not well, mind you, but still, it shows how much sense of 'wonder' has been lost. If every other person you meet has Force powers, then it stops being neat.
As someone warming up to Rebels (I was meh on it at first) I think that is a gross exaggeration. He wasn't just not doing well: He was getting creamed. He also had Kanan to help him. I don't think wonder gets lost at all. Even the original movies heavily imply that there were quite a lot of Jedi before the Empire and even then that's nothing compared to the total population of the known universe within the story. I don't think having a lot of something makes something lose wonder; in fact, I think that's awfully self-defeating, fallacious, and unimaginative. There's over 7 billion people on this real Earth and there's still wonder to be found AND among so many. It's how it's presented and explained. I do agree though that overly churning out force powers is a cop out and bad writing. It has to not feel forced, but having a lot of people like that doesn't have to ruin the wonder. There's still far more people who aren't Force sensitive, many even portrayed to be just as capable as those who are.

Sniper Team 4 said:
As for her working for the bad guys, it wasn't that she was working for the Empire that made her compelling. She worked for the Emperor himself. She was trained by him, had one-on-one talks with him. She was his personal assassin. But somehow, she wasn't tainted by the Dark Side. It wasn't that she was strong or something. It was she honestly believed she was on the right side, and that Vader was villain. Imagine that for a moment: How could you work for the most evil, twisted, corrupted person in the galaxy and still remain pure (in a sense) without becoming corrupted or doubting yourself? This was a huge mystery, and one that many of us wanted to know for a long time. When we finally got our answer, it only served to build her character even more.
From my reading on Wookieepedia I knew she was a lot closer to the Emperor than most agents, but I didn't know she was personally trained by him and had one-on-one talks with him. That's interesting...but eh, still not quite convinced. I think this is something I'll need to read to find out for myself if it's compelling or not.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Don't let I, Jedi turn you off of other Star Wars books.
When I picked up I, Jedi at my local goodwill I saw and picked up a few other Star Wars books. I'll get to those and try not to get turned off from even more. For now, though the 2nd Star Wars book I ever read (when I was younger I read one about Anakin and Obi-Wan going on some bonding training exercise that turns into a real problem) gives the impression of glorified/elevated fan fiction.

UrinalDook said:
You've got things a bit backwards here. She's not well liked because she's in Mysteries of the Sith, she was in MOTS because she was already well liked.
I never said this. All I tried to get across is this was my first real interaction with the character and that's why I'm perplexed after so much talk of how great she is. My OP even literally asks if the game misrepresents her which would not make a lick of sense to ask if I thought the game is what made her well liked. I even more or less said what you're saying here in reply to [user]Sniper Team 4[/user]:

jamail77 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wait...Mara Jade was in a game? I had no idea...
[snip]

Yep. The only reason she's there is because of her popularity in the EU. They needed someone to grab people to make up for the fact it's an expansion pack to the second installment to the game series rather than a main game.
UrinalDook said:
I, Jedi's not great, either. It's a bit of an oddity, even in the EU. It's the only novel written in first person, and it's basically the story of the ultimate Mary Sue gaining super-Sue powers. He's a bit more bearable in the Rogue Squadron books, which themselves are decent. The Wraith Squadron sub-series absolutely kills it, though. Some of my favourite characters in the EU.
Yeah, I finished it. I thought it was...okay. I wouldn't call it the story of the ultimate Mary Sue, but it is very awkwardly written at places to the point I just think, "This is not that character from the movies and this is not Star Wars". It has a few pros that even it out, but still very meh at best.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
LordLundar said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

LordLundar said:
iirc the games are all canon (well, apart from Force Unleashed because those make NO sense) So they do qualify in that respect.
The games are canon in the EU. She's an EU character. She's one of the many things that has been wiped by Disney for the new Star Wars stuff, whereas Boba Fett just had every bit of EU post-Return wiped.

The games, books, comics were "Official Works", but they're part of the less regarded EU, as opposed to the strict film-canon which is what Disney are using moving forward (I'm not sure what they're doing Old Republic and Clone Wars era wise, but I doubt it will come up either way).

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
jamail77 said:
Loonyyy said:
Rosh is the worst. I didn't mind the story, most of the levels are self-contained in that regard, and the overall arc isn't that bad, but they made absolutely no effort to make Rosh likeable. Why did he fall to the darkside? because he was a whiner and a nuisance and he wanted to be better than you. It's like what they did with Anakin in the prequels.
Jux said:
All of this goes without needing to be said. It should be blatantly obvious to anyone who has played those games...and has good taste in characters.
Well, yeah man, I'm agreeing with you, and having some fun at the expense of Rosh. From the start of the first level when he's busy being a dick, I wanted to force push him into a gravity well. Unfortunately, he doesn't tag along to Kril'dor (Had to google that) and the Tibanna platform.

I guess they wanted a reason for you to pick the dark side, but they already had that, Force Lightening and Grip are super fun, except the game doesn't care about what power you use, just the choice moments. Killing Rosh is so tempting, I hardly feel that it's a dark choice.

Still my favourite Star Wars game though. I always make sure to have maxed Grip by the time I get to the Tibanna platform, it's so much fun.