Don't know what job I want.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I'm worried. I'm 24 years old, and still don't know what job I want to do. What do I do?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You get whatever job you can.

Chances are you won't be able to get the job you want straight away so get whatever job you need to survive in the meantime while you think of what job you want and rule out which ones you don't.

Sooner or later you'll realize that you'll never realistically love any job you do and you probably won't be qualified for, hired for, or even be good at the job you ACTUALLY want.

And that's what it's like to be an adult in the post 2008 economy.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Going to somewhat agree with Dirty Hipsters. The pressure to find your "dream job" is dumb. Searching your soul to find that one perfect job that matches your unique personality is harder than simply studying to become an electrician or something. I'd prefer it if my parents just told me what to do with my life, yet I am stuck in this individualistic society that expects more of me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Since the "reality of life sucks" answer has been given, I will give the more optimistic based answer.

If you do find a dream job you want, the trick is to actually go for it. Im sure we all have thought how nice it would be to be an actor, or a musician, and while getting into those jobs is hard, its even harder if you dont do anything towards it.

Most musicians arent discovered, they make music, and perform it for whoever they can. Actors dont just get discovered, they audition for any role they can.

Ofcourse it sounds like you straight up have no idea what you want to do at all.

If you arent inhibited by personal/social issues, then just find jobs where you can, if nothing else, to support yourself. Eventually try another job, all while figuring out what you enjoy doing, and potentially what you are good at. You might be surprised what you're good at and would be willing to do for income. Maybe you're really handy with tools and would make a great repair person or mechanic and just never considered it.

kyan

Aug 31, 2017
i know this is an old thread but the title caught my attention. i am a 25 years old computer science graduate. didn't really get a job in that industry for multiple reasons, one being, i wasn't interested in any of those jobs. then i felt on that spectrum of what is your "dream job" or the "get a job you love and you never have to work a day in your life" and i understand its true.

but i really think it usually comes down to the individual. what your passion is, do you even have any? what do you think you are good at but anyone else isn't.

I think now days you can succeed just by being you. if you look at a lot of instagram and youtube people they succeed based on their personality, and because they have a passion for it. so i really think you just need to find what makes you want to jump out the bed everyday and chase your job/passion/hobby. but hey! thats me.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Dirty Hipsters said:
You get whatever job you can.

Chances are you won't be able to get the job you want straight away so get whatever job you need to survive in the meantime while you think of what job you want and rule out which ones you don't.

Sooner or later you'll realize that you'll never realistically love any job you do and you probably won't be qualified for, hired for, or even be good at the job you ACTUALLY want.

And that's what it's like to be an adult in the post 2008 economy.
*Raises pint* I've been a HR guy for nearly five years now. Would rather be digging ditches or casting nets, but you have to take what you can get.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Whatever job you get in your twenties, you will dislike by your mid-thirties, so there's no point fixating on it.

terreythompson

Sep 15, 2017
A piece of advice: "Focus on what you want to do or what you want to be". Make sure that qualities needed are inline with your passion, skills, knowledge and anything you're conversant of.

elmerhoffman

Dec 27, 2017
Ask yourself some questions "What can I do?", "What would I like to do?", "What chances do I have to succeed in the field of..?", "What talents do I have?", "What does motivate me in the best way?", "What proffesion is suitable for my character?". Ask your friends and family, sometimes it's easier for them to access us. After making a decision, make a first step. It's important! Don't reflect too much long - start worting on your aim!

ethanscott

Apr 19, 2018
VG_Addict said:
I'm worried. I'm 24 years old, and still don't know what job I want to do. What do I do?
Just get any job for now. It will be long before you can figure out what exactly you want.
Meanwhile the plan is to not sit idle!

jacjon

May 3, 2018
Try and spend some free time on different things. Cooking, coding, reading different subjects. I wouldn't hesitate to try any job as well. It's all about expanding your horizons to find what clicks with you.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'm a software developer who loves what he does. But before that, I worked for a small export company for 9 months which I hated and that served as a motivation. I would get to work 8:30AM, leave at 5:30 and then I would focus on writing code at a local library that's midway between work and my house.

I was able to get a foot in the door because I was able to showcase my grit to people who can hire me.

So get any job you can, get some perspective on what you like and don't like from it, find a path and work towards it.

For me, there were a lot of late nights and weekends of sacrifice but looking back now it has been incredibly satisfying

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I'm ten years your senior and I still don't know what job I want. I sort of fell into ESL teaching in Asia and enjoyed the lifestyle benefits so much, I stuck with it and after working toward it, became a university instructor. It's not a perfect job but I generally enjoy it and it pays enough that I don't need to fret over bills and I have everything I could ever need.

My advice: don't worry about it. No one really knows 100% what they want to do and anyone who acts like they've found the perfect job is full of shit. Find a gig with enough opportunity to improve your CV and future job prospects but freedom enough to be creative. Work toward something, even if that is just building experience. But, and I'd say almost more importantly, find a job with chill coworkers. That can make a world of difference.

Mar 30, 2010
As many other people have said, just do the job that's in front of you and take it from there. I started in part-time employment at the age of fourteen, moved to full-time at the age of eighteen. I'm currently 37 and have yet to work a single day in what I would describe as my 'chosen' career. Dream jobs are exactly that - dreams.

Find one that pays enough to keep a roof over your head and that doesn't have a total jackass as a boss and you're golden.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The aim of life is to not have to work, so whatever achieves that in the fastest possible way. You live in a capitalist world ... seriously, what other answer is there? The sooner you don't have to work for a living, the sooner you can do whatever the hell you want and never have to worry about it.

What other answer is there? Capitalist world ... do whatever makes you a bona fide capitalist in the fastest possible way.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
I don't know. What do you like doing and is there a demand for that?

I hate doing the exact same thing every day and I love reading and talking about what I've read. So English Teacher is a good fit. But I also had a lot of jobs before getting into it.