DON'T LOOK UP THE MASS EFFECT 3 LAUNCH TRAILER ON YOUTUBE

woodaba

May 31, 2011
So, I had heard that Mass Effect 3's launch trailer was pretty awesome. So, I clicked on to youtube and looked it up.

Unfortunately, due to my screen size, I was treated to the fact that both top comments spoil the ending, and pretty much the whole game.

Goddammit.

Turns out the spoiler was fake, thanks to an edited audio file thats been making the rounds on the web, but this should serve as a cautionary tale anyway.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Unlucky I guess.

But it's nice of you to you warn people of possible spoilers.

Personally I don't enjoy the ME games so I'm not bothered either way ^^

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Avoiding spoilers is getting really difficult, and I thought it'd only be bad after the US release. I may have to go into complete internet blackout soon!

Jan 13, 2012
Yeah, i got pissed off at those people putting spoilers up. Especially those ones that didnt even have the courtesy to put spoiler warning infront of the post. Anyway its an awesome trailer so just dont read the comments.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
number2301 said:
Avoiding spoilers is getting really difficult, and I thought it'd only be bad after the US release. I may have to go into complete internet blackout soon!
After today, my entire internet time will be working on my LP and watching Zero Punctuation after this unfortunate incident.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
GethBall said:
Yeah, i got pissed off at those people putting spoilers up. Especially those ones that didnt even have the courtesy to put spoiler warning infront of the post. Anyway its an awesome trailer so just dont read the comments.
Oh the trailer was great, but the spoiler sorta put a damper on the whole thing.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Yeah, the amount of spoiling is really quite frustrating. I've been lucky to avoid pretty much everything except that which has been released through official channels.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Still Life said:
Yeah, the amount of spoiling is really quite frustrating. I've been lucky to avoid pretty much everything except that which has been released through official channels.
My only theory is that there are people out there with a fetish for ruining other people's fun, and the best way to achieve sexual release is not post massive spoilers for big upcoming games.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Anyone mind PM'ing me what this big spoiler was? I have no intention of buying the game but would like to know how it ends.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'm not going to be buying the game any time soon so I'm not too bothered about spoilers so I went and got the video off YouTube so I could post it here for you guys if you're worried about looking for fear of spoilers.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Togs said:
Anyone mind PM'ing me what this big spoiler was? I have no intention of buying the game but would like to know how it ends.
The little kid from the demo? He's the master Reaper. The Reaper's plan is not to exterminate all life, but to perfect it through experimentation and indoctrination. Shepard has the choice to complete their goal and merge all life with the Reapers, or destroy all cybernetic beings forever.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Hmm, this is why i'm not scrolling down on any Youtube video for any reason. Fuck yo' "witty" comments!

Well, since there have been spoilers floating around the net for quite a while now, I just took it as read that any sort of ME related search (or indeed 5 minutes on 4chan) would lead me to asshats throwing "LOL X DIES!" at me.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
woodaba said:
Togs said:
The little kid from the demo? He's the master Reaper. The Reaper's plan is not to exterminate all life, but to perfect it through experimentation and indoctrination. Shepard has the choice to complete their goal and merge all life with the Reapers, or destroy all cybernetic beings forever.
Um... doesnt that sound a little far fetched to you?

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Togs said:
woodaba said:
Togs said:
It does, and I hope that isn't the actual thing, but just in case, I want to warn people against it, because I have heard that in multiple places, so I don't think that is a coincedence.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
woodaba said:
Togs said:
woodaba said:
Togs said:
It does, and I hope that isn't the actual thing, but just in case, I want to warn people against it, because I have heard that in multiple places, so I don't think that is a coincedence.
Well if it is the truth just goes to show how daft biowares story writers are.
I mean that sounds like below B movie level shite.

rob_k

Mar 4, 2012
woodaba said:
Togs said:
woodaba said:
Togs said:
It's definitely not what you originally thought. I haven't played the game but I did see a scene on a stream that put the whole thing into perspective.

Like I've been saying on the BSN forums, context is everything as is playing through the game. People shouldn't just believe things without context or go off what they've read. I know a Gamefaqs user, if legit, has also said the endings aren't what we think as well.

I do honestly feel quite a bit for BioWare. I'm a writer myself and I'd hate it people would look at the ending of something I've written, then completely take it out of context etc. It's like picking up a book, jumping to the last page and reading a setence or two, then forming an opinion that's quite possibly misinformed.

Probable spoilers surrounding the quoted spoiler below, alongside possible new information, so you've been warned.

Basically, a short while after the start of the game, Shepard has a nightmare/deam and in said nightmare, he sees the kid that gets killed at the start. He approaches the kid and when he reaches him, the kid gets set alight while there are sounds of Reapers blasting away in the background. The kid then disappears.

It's logical to assume the kid represents everyone dying on Earth, especially the generations of the future being lost. It also represents Shepard's failiure to save the kid back on Earth, I believe, and the kid is something Shepard can relate to. So, when the scene at the end crops up, the Guardian appears to Shepard in a form that he can relate to, a form that he and others are fighting to secure a future for.

Also, the game seems to spend quite a bit of time on how things are weighing on Shepard, which is good, as you can easily see things are getting to him.

Of course, I could be wrong about how I've interpreted it, but I don't think I am. What's worth taking away though, is out of the people who've actually played the game, they all seem to like/love the endings even if they do acknowledge that not everyone will like them.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Togs said:
Well if it is the truth just goes to show how daft biowares story writers are.
I mean that sounds like below B movie level shite.
It's a voiced conversation with Shepard talking and everything, I don't have the link to the video on me right now. I mean, it could be fake, but that's pretty far-fetched.

It's really stupid. Still looking forward to game, but everything points to the ending being terrible.

Edit: Actually I found the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGvA5Qre5Y

Like I said, it's pretty fucking stupid, honestly.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
WHY! WHY DO PEOPLE PUT SPOILERS EVERYWHERE! Not only on youtube, put people read this thread, which is dedicated to helping people avoid spoilers and you know what people post on it? SPOILERS! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? Are you dedicated to making sure that not a single person has an unspoiled experience? I don't care if they're marked, the temptation is still there.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
STOP THE PRESSES!

Bioware have come out and said that the voice file in question has been heavily edited, and was a leftover of the original script before it was entirely revamped. We're still safe! The ending still has a chance of not sucking.