Don't Recommend Me an Anime

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
So, there's always been tons of "Recommend Me an Anime" threads, so I thought for funzies that we could have a thread to suggest which animes people should avoid watching.

Every other character is a rapist, tons of excessive gore, and a tone of other crap I just didn't care for. I stopped watching after the episode where that kid who was about to win got hurt really badly, and all of the characters spent the whole episode screaming at each other.

So what animes did you guys not like?

perfectimo

Sep 17, 2008
I wouldn't recommend Cardcaptor unless you watched it growing up, but man is it awesome.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Naruto. There's a ****load of filler. Read the manga instead if you feel Naruto might be interesting. Not as much filler.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
One Piece. It has quite possibly the worst pacing ever. I gave up around the point it took 10 episodes to finish one fight between Usopp and some random dog/cannon.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Hmmm... interesting.

I've seen a ton of bad anime, but in my opinion if someone wanna watch them, so be it. I'm not one to tell people not to watch something.

However, some of the worst anime I've seen are:

Eiken [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiken_(manga)]- I can't think of a single redeeming factor for this anime. It's tasteless, unfunny, unsexy, irredeemable, disgusting trash. Everything from the one dimensional characters, awful and inconsistent animation, generic and forgettable music, terrible voice work both Japanese and English, and lack of any sort of story or plot. I've seen hentai that had more class, plot, and better animation than this vile, unwatchable garbage. If you think HighSchool of the Dead was bad with its fanservice, you'll faint if you ever decide to watch this piece of shit. This is seriously the worst anime I've ever seen. I just can't squeeze any sort of enjoyment out of this, not even ironically.

The Rebirth of Buddha [http://myanimelist.net/anime/6985/Buddha_Saitan]- It's a Buddhist propaganda film, with so little effort put into it that it feels like it should have the budget of Mars of Destruction, and aired on a religious network, but instead it has a budget and screened in theaters with an all-star Japanese voice cast. The movie feels like a bad episode of Captain Planet, but with Buddha. There's a part with an alien invasion destroying a city Independence Day-style. I am not making this up. I feel like this movie was a waste of everyone's time and money.

Apocalypse Zero [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Zero]- This anime is basically a 90s Panty and Stocking minus all the fun. It's needlessly and uncomfortably violent, and I love my gory violence. It grows increasingly graphic and perverse, and it has a hideous art style. Like Eiken, it lacks any taste whatsoever, and it's not even enjoyable for how ridiculous it is. You just feel unpleasant and disgusted watching it. It's just not a fun watch, and it's not even like the anime is taking itself too seriously, because it's not. It has a fairly goofy Super Sentai theme going. It would be at least tolerable if the story was any good, but it's not. What sort of post apocalyptic society would have their high school above ground where grotesque monsters roam around the ruins, and even have them takes trips INSIDE these ruin cities with absolutely NO protection, where said monsters can easily rip their faces off? And the schools only protection against these powerful beasts are a handful of armed grunts? Why is the main leads brother looks and shaped like a woman, but they keep referring to her as a "him" and they never mention or establish if he's a transvestite or shemale or not?

Penguindrum [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguindrum]- I literally feel like the only person who actively hate this anime. Everyone I've heard from say it's a masterpiece, and while I'm not one to tell them they're wrong, it just irritates me increasingly every time I hear this thing get praised. Yes, this is seriously one of the worst anime I've sat through, just for the amount of anger it fueled in me. It was such an infuriating sit for me. The style was repetitive, and paced painfully slow, the characters lacked any believability, the dialogue was comprised of the most trite philosophical drivel you hear in almost every anime, coming out of the mouths of every character, including the children, a flashback every five seconds, and it's clear that the anime's main concern was not to tell a cohesive, believable story, but to shove as much symbolic schlock down your throat until you choke. It throws so much twists and new plot points that not even the anime could keep up with itself. Sure, there are some nice things I can say. It made me laugh a few times, and at first I found the character behaviors to be strangely charming, but as it went on it started taking itself way too seriously, and all those good feeling quickly "disappeared" like those fucking kids in that fucking child broiler. I tried watching Revolutionary Girl Utena afterwards, which is from the same creator, because I wanted something to like, but I didn't even like that "classic"

Nerawareta Gakuen [http://myanimelist.net/anime/14293/Nerawareta_Gakuen]- This was probably the angriest I've been watching an anime since Penguindrum. The movie looks pretty, but the story was... well, there wasn't any. Not even any of the synopsis I've read can tell you what the movie's about. It's just a sequence of horribly told events. When the movie isn't boring as hell, it's bafflingly bad. The main character's an idiot, and his love interest is overly abusive even for a tsundere. The other main character is probably the most interesting but even he's forgettable, and his love interest has nothing to do with anything in the movie. There's a student council in this movie make the student council in Kill la Kill look reasonable. The film also has this strange hatred for cellphones. This was just another infuriating sit.

Those are the ones that really get on my nerves. The other bad stuff I've seen I usually enjoy for their shittiness. Such as:
Mars of Destruction
Garzey's Wing
Master of Martial Hearts
Skelter Helter
Panzer Dragoon
Sleeping with Hinako
School Days

You may not know this, but I love watching shitty anime.

EDIT: I'd like to add two more to the shit list:

Amnesia [http://myanimelist.net/anime/15085/Amnesia]- A reverse harem anime from our good friends Idea Factory, the guys who brought us such masterpieces as Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven. While I see what this anime is trying to do, the execution is god awful. It's one of the most boring things I've bothered sitting through, and features one of the worst female leads I've ever seen in an anime. I've never seen a more useless, bland, idiotic empty husk of a heroine in my life. She has no personality or character, does nothing, doesn't say anything meaningful, and has such a passive reaction to everything around her. Have a guy lock her in a cage, and her only reaction is "well, uh... okay.". Have a guy nearly strangle her, threatening to kill her, and the minute he stops and apologizes, she reacts with "No... I'm fine." It's not a case that she has no memories, it's that she has no character whatsoever. Throughout the entire anime, she simply waits for shit to happen to her and rolls with it. She doesn't even have a name, for Christ's sakes. Also, the designs are just odd. The main characters dress like chess boards going through their goth phase, and no one ever addresses it. It's not like this takes place in a world of fantasy or scifi either, it's the normal, modern day world, and the guys (mostly) act normally. It's really distracting. The designs of the eyes are weird as well.

Diabolik Lovers [http://myanimelist.net/anime/17513/Diabolik_Lovers]- Another reverse harem from Idea Factory, both of which are from 2013. While there's a few steps up from Amnesia; The main girl here is better than the excuse for a heroine in Amnesia, and the episodes are only 15 minutes, but this one is somehow worse. This is probably the most vile, wretched, hateful anime I've seen all year. Throughout the whole anime, this helpless girl is constantly being harassed, threatened, forced upon, verbally abused, and treated horribly by these vampire boys, while also getting enough blood sucked out of her to give Elfen Lied a fun for its money. All the male characters are completely unlikable with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, one of them even straight-up refer to the girl as "*****-chan". What's more is that the girl, despite being treated like shit, constantly tries to get involved with them, and never tries to escape. There's a part where she gets a silver knife that can kill them, but she never uses it against them. And no, there isn't a single part where she connects or opens up to any of them. There's not a single part where they grow fond of her and start treating her kindly. This isn't like Beauty and the Beast. Any moment where it seems like the male characters are displaying some kind of likable trait, they immediately destroy it by sucking her blood and talking shit to her for the millionth time. This whole anime was just unpleasantness throughout. I felt disgusted watching it. It wasn't like Amnesia where I was mostly bored, this was pissing me off. The fact that this is suppose to appeal to girls and is trying to sell itself as a romance is astonishing to me. The fact that the girl does nothing against these horrible, horrible males and somehow gets infatuated by them is beyond idiotic. The fact that Kill la Kill is getting pegged for sexism while this goes largely unscathed is absolutely insulting.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I'm told that it's suppose to be a classic and really thought provoking but I just found Serial Experiments Lain rather boring. The general consensus is probably that I just didn't get the anime but I don't really think that's the case. I found it maddeningly boring and just seemed to tried to hard to be a cerebral anime. I had to struggle to get through it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Attack on Titan, the anime honestly had a great start but as time went on there was less and less action and more talk. The ending itself left the possibility that there would be a second season (I've read the manga and there should) but I feel like it'l end up just like HSOTD which had a great start and decent action but never got a second season and the anime aired back in 2010 and the OVA in 2011 which was a slight extension.

What I tend to look for in anme is a decent pace of action, character development and overall story, Animes Ghost in the Shell have a CSI theme going but still keeps up the pacing and action, Outlaw Star and Cowboy bebop back in their days along with Trigun could do the same, but something like Attack on Titan just dragged on for me and felt like a slog of episodes with nothing but a few terrified and surprised people and then eventually a titan would show up.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Anything based off of a video-game. Unless you are a fan of the series it was based off of. All the ones I put myself through were pretty terrible, but all worth it for me because I get to see more personality of characters I'm invested to going in.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Aw, I liked Anohana a lot >.>

There was a bit too much crying, however. I will give you that.

OT: I have seen a lot of shit anime, but one that sticks out in my mind is Rin. Holy shit is it bad. Do you enjoy when your protagonist is torture raped/killed every episode? Sometimes, more than once? Well, I've got an anime for you, my friend!

Also, why the fuck were all the characters naked for the entire last episode? Fucking schlock. Stay away.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Tony2077 said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Never watch Clannad. Ever. Trust me... ;-;
i am going to have to ask you why?
Feels! Feels everywhere! >.<

Well, I suppose if you want to feel like you got kicked in the chest, you should go watch it.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
SomeLameStuff said:
Tony2077 said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Never watch Clannad. Ever. Trust me... ;-;
i am going to have to ask you why?
Feels! Feels everywhere! >.<

Well, I suppose if you want to feel like you got kicked in the chest, you should go watch it.
i don't mind feels not sure about the kicked in the chest part

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Fortune Arterial.

The most generic anime I have ever seen. Downright terrible jokes, terrible romance, and just so damn boring.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Genocyber

An anime that tried to cash in on the violent cyberpunk craze of the 80's. It's one of the most revoltingly meanspirited things I've ever seen. This would be excusable if it had an interesting story, or just one you could simply follow. But it just makes shit up as it goes along, and awkwardly fumbles from scene to scene with no pacing or context whatsoever.

It's pure shit!

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
hmm...

How about every yaoi anime ever? Most of the time it's overly dramatic soap operas with barely any interesting characters and highly inaccurate sex scenes; going in dry would hurt anyone, squeak.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Guilty Crown.

It feels like bad fan-fiction written by some highschool kid with himself as the protagonist.

After 12 episodes of the most utterly horrible main character I've ever seen in an anime not dying and being replaced by someone even remotely likable I gave up and stopped watching.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Time to roast a sacred cow here:

Dragon Ball Z. Good Lord, what a boring show.

The plot moves at a glacial pace, with way too much pointless filler between fights. Even the fights themselves are tedious. The combatants spend most of the time floating in place while grimacing and yelling like they're suffering from a chronic case of constipation. What's worse, when one of them starts charging an ultimate-bullshit beam attack, the opponent does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent it, instead opting to stay in place and stand there all idiotic and slack-jawed. Just fly up there and punch him already, dammit!

Go watch Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged instead. It covers the main plot points more succinctly and is way more entertaining to boot.