Don't say that's retarded, it hurts special kids feelings NOT ABOUT CALLING SPECIAL KIDS RETARDED

twohundredpercent

Dec 20, 2011
Huh I figured the problem always was that middle school and even high school kids got the impression that making fun of the special needs kids was the okay coolguy thing to do.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
You are right. When I insult someone it SHOULD be politically correct, because when I choose to hurt another person verbally my first priority should be that greater society approves my chosen terminology.

Really gets to the root of the problem alright.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Vault101 said:
Sampling almost entire tracks from other artists and not giving them credit does not take talent.
With the right computer programs, anybody can do what he does, including children and perhaps even well trained monkeys.

OT: I see no problem with using controversial insults in jest, all it really does is reduce their impact. I think most reasonable people can tell the difference between malice and jest. And I have no time for those that will use willful ignorance to kick up a fuss.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Katatori-kun said:
PeterMerkin69 said:
Katatori-kun said:
Because some people believe they matter. Remember, meaning is co-constructed.
But isn't this an appeal to consequence? Believing it's true isn't the same as it actually being true.
No, actually, it does. The meaning of language is co-constructed. If you knowingly choose to use words that your listener interprets to be offensive, those words are offensive.

*Snip the rest*
I completely agree with your points. The way I've always looked at is that people should have the choice over how they are referred to, with potential exceptions for literal definitions. If you ignore how they want to be referred to, then you're purposefully trying to piss them off and you should be honest about that.

As an example, take someone introducing themselves as William, and then you start calling them Bill. They object and say they prefer Will or William. Now there's nothing actually wrong or inherently offensive about referring to someone as Bill, but in this case you'd still be a dick if you kept it up.

As you say, it's not about determing which words are and aren't offensive, it's about realising that you have to think about other people before you start using certain words.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Smeatza said:
Sampling almost entire tracks from other artists and not giving them credit does not take talent.
.....wha?

I haven't listed to alot of Skrillex's work but from what I can gather he only samples sound bits..specifically of crazy yelling, so please tell me where this "sampling to the point of plagarism" comes from

also sampling when done well is awsome

in fact here's a song made from nothing BUT samples

[quote/]With the right computer programs, anybody can do what he does, including children and perhaps even well trained monkeys.
.[/quote]
...so much wrong and ignorance in this sentence....

regardless of weather or not Skrillex is good, anyone who says electronic music doesnt take skill "just cus it uses them comupter machines and not real life instruments" clearly knows fuck all about music

also it doesnt take a genious to put down the few specific chords pretty much allpopular songs are made from on physical instruments

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
chaosord said:
Twilight_guy said:
Don't use the word "retarded" as an insult, don't use the word "gay" as an insult. Doing so associates the word, and the group it represents, with bad or negative connotation.
I use the word gay for happy. Does it mean something else?
Depends on your region of the world and the time period you live in.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Vault101 said:
.....wha?

I haven't listed to alot of Skrillex's work but from what I can gather he only samples sound bits..specifically of crazy yelling, so please tell me where this "sampling to the point of plagarism" comes from

also sampling when done well is awsome

in fact here's a song made from nothing BUT samples
I try not to use studio stuff as examples of talent, considering how easily one can take credit for another's success.
What I do know is that when I saw him live at a festival once he played "Let me clear my throat" by DJ Phresh, the entire way through (please note this was not a cover version of the song, but the exact same song DJ Phresh put out a decade odd ago), with not a single edit whatsoever, and didn't even give a shout out to the original artist.

A few of my friends could tell you why he's appalling within the field of brostep, but that doesn't help much on an internet forum.

Vault101 said:
...so much wrong and ignorance in this sentence....

regardless of weather or not Skrillex is good, anyone who says electronic music doesnt take skill "just cus it uses them comupter machines and not real life instruments" clearly knows fuck all about music

also it doesnt take a genious to put down the few specific chords pretty much allpopular songs are made from on physical instruments
You seem to have misunderstood. Electronic music takes plenty of skill, talent and artistry to create. Sampling is a perfectly acceptable form of creating music (I'm a big hip hop fan and the vast majority of hip hop beats are sampled).
But I would not call Skrillex's stuff electronic, or music (I'm exaggerating there but you get my point).
Skrillex is to electronic music, what Lil Wayne is to rap.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Katatori-kun said:
Because some people believe they matter. Remember, meaning is co-constructed.
Because they choose to believe they matter.* That's the point of my question about objective qualities. Barring emotional instability, they're the ultimate arbiter of what those words mean to them. I'm putting them out there; they're choosing to listen and how they respond. That simply isn't my responsibility and I refuse to be held accountable for it.

The black community claiming ****** as their own and actively dismantling its efficacy is an admirable pursuit. Whining on behalf of another because one thinks that someone said something that gives victims the option to feel emotional pain, the likes of which should be so minuscule in the grander scheme of things, looks like a laughable overreaction from my perspective.

Why do we have to determine whose beliefs take precedence over another? Such a claim would serve zero purpose in this discussion. We're not talking rules and laws, we're talking whether or not a certain word choice makes one a complete dick or not. What makes one a dick is not some inherent aspect of the meaning of the word, but that they knowingly use words that hurt others.
This has nothing to do with laws or rules. One could argue that you're contributing to the creation of a taboo, the casual equivalent of a law, but I'm not even doing that. I'm simply asking you to justify your dick shaming with something other than, "because."

In the interest of fairness, if there is a man of straw concealed anywhere in my posts, it's that I'm arguing from the assumption that you're arguing from a position of reason or rationality or justification beyond "becuz." If instead this dick shaming is your own personal emotional reaction to insensitive language, and there's nothing else to it then that, then... shame on me, I guess?

The reason determination matters within the context of this discussion is because I could just as easily call them pussies to rationalize my own behaviour. Then you could call me a dick. And we could go back and forth forever. This gets us nowhere.

Let's try a parable: I'm having guests over for dinner. One of my guests is unbeknownst to me, a vegetarian. If I serve them a main course with meat in it, I'm not a dick, because I didn't know. If this guest had offhandedly mentioned to me once that they were a vegetarian but I forgot, I wouldn't be a dick. But if I intentionally put meat in ever dish, knowing they were a vegetarian, and when they protested responded with, "Deal with it, that's how we cook in my house" then I'm an irredeemable dick. The issue is not whether or not vegetarianism is inherently right or wrong, it's that I've intentionally chosen to take actions that I know will put other people under duress.
First World Problems, amirite?

If I were that vegetarian, I would laugh in their face and go make myself some nice chana dal. Any reaction beyond that seems petulant, childish and arrogant. And completely unnecessary. Sure, the host is a dick, but what does that really mean to me? I'm just not seeing it.

If you question the validity of the duress people feel when hearing them, you are a dick.
If you don't question them how do you know that defending them is a good idea?

Don't take this as an appeal to authority or anything like that, call it idle curiosity, but do you have any personal experience with the phenomena that supposedly cause these kinds of reactions in victims? And not just a drunk uncle or something like that, everyone's got one of those. I mean direct, personal exposure to homophobia, or physical abuse, rape, discrimination, or disability. Anything to give you personal insight into what it's like to be hurt or offended by loose-lipped cads? Because, I've got to say, as someone who's been there, I really, really don't get it. Intellectually, I understand how it could bring up painful memories, but even that's so far removed from the injury itself that it's beneath my ability to even acknowledge it.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I personally have always found the term "special" more ridiculous and vaguely offensive than just flat out calling mentally retarded people what they are. Let's be honest here: being mentally retarded is a generally negative thing; I'm not saying retarded people are bad, but the condition of being retarded is not one I'd ever want to be in. Most people that I've met who qualify as being retarded, know that they are, or they at least know that they're in a situation that most other people don't have to deal with. So calling somebody who is retarded "special" just seems silly.

Not to mention the fact that people are using the term because of the stigmas attached to it, people are always going to use terms referring to mentally handicapped people as insults, no matter what that term is.

On another, slightly different note, I hate when people classify something as discrimination simply because you acknowledged something about somebody else. For instance, acknowledging that somebody is black, or referring to a gay person as, well, gay. It's like people don't even want to acknowledge that somebody else is different; which is really ironic when the same people turn around and preach about the merits of individuality.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
Katatori-kun said:
If you know someone is going to react with pain to the words you choose to words, but choose to use them anyway, you are indeed responsible. And if you're not prepared to accept that responsibility, then you're going to get judged for that. There's no way around it.
This is the same as saying I'm responsible if I throw a fifty into the street and the person who chases after it gets hit by a truck. The greedy idiot made the decision to walk into traffic, not me.

It's not your business to question what affects someone else.
cite?

Yes, actually. But you're once again trying to twist this into a contest that can be won.
Everything's a contest, but that's not what I'm doing here. I'm trying to get a better handle on your perspective because the emotional pain from words you're defending is completely beneath my understanding. Defending people in that situation is inconceivable to me. I do have ulterior motives, though. This isn't something I've argued a lot before and I like to do my homework before I get myself into contests.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I have always heard these terms used not as the actual meaning of the word but as a synonym instead. IN gaming mostly in MMO's or multiplayer game, calling someone a "retard" refers to the fact that hes actually stupid but they don't want to use that word. "That's gay" meaning "That's lame".

Most people don't react to such terms but some do get insulted by this fact. Depends on the tone it is said as well.

amadhatter

Apr 15, 2010
All my associates watch Retarded Policeman videos, so the word is more socially acceptable.

http://youtu.be/7Qrq48DSqlo

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
A Satanic Panda said:
Really? I thought the term "Mentally retarded" was medical, not just slang.
Retarded hasn't been a real term used by the medical community at large for decades.

Moderated said:
1: I was saying how gay people had a leg to stand on, while the people behind this cause don't.
Both are saddled with the title. The reason's kind of irrelevant.

2: Those people are douchebags.
Which in no way changes the fact that the term is still used fairly commonly, which is what his argument was in the first place (after you claimed the contrary).