Don't Starve: Console Edition Review - PlayStarvation

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Don't Starve: Console Edition Review - PlayStarvation

An engrossing - if demoralizing - survival adventure.

Read Full Article

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I'm enjoying it. I got it from PS+. It is very demanding, like you say. I've currently saved my progress at Day 18, I'm doing well, but one slip up, and everything I've done could be lost. It's that risk vs reward thing isn't it? Winter is coming... i'm trying to prepare, but for a newbie, it isn't easy... I have a feeling i may not survive to see the second summer. I'll give it my all though.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
The early game grind was just too much for me in this one. I prefer playing a rogue-like blind, but it takes way too long to get your base resources together. It's hard to try something new that might kill when you have to waste another couple hours to back to that point again. In the end you either spend a ton of time with the game, often doing the same basic stuff over and over, or consult a wiki.

I guess the problem is that it is just way too easy to start with. In something like Nethack you can roll new characters over and over again just learning how to survive during the first few levels. There are tons of ways to die and little consequence to experimenting since you'll be back in no time. Same thing for something like Spelunky. There's little downtime in Spelunky since minor mistakes can kill you in the first set of levels. Something new and crazy happens all the time in that game. Also the random stuff you find in both games seems much greater than in Don't Starve and makes a much bigger impact on that playthrough.

Restarting in Don't Starve just feels like you've been put on the basic-resource-gathering chain-gang. Oh boy, I get to pick more grass and twigs! Let's collect poop for 15 minutes to make a farm. The game does mitigatet this a bit by offering ways to avoid a restart, but it still just feels like a grind to me.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
This review has made me want to play Don't Starve. And I generally don't like roguelikes or Minecraftey-type games. Thanks Jim!

Greg

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
I've loved this game on PC since it went on Early Access. I'm pretty excited to see how the PS4 version holds up next time I'm near my console. I'm worried that not being able to click the shit out of everything will get tiresome.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Somewhere on the way through testing, it dropped the wrong straw on the camel for me. Probably around the time they decided the health renewal from food would be trivial. When it got to where taking a couple of hits meant that you were likely to remain injured until you died, it crossed the border into "we're going to punish you for exploring"- and that's something, in my opinion, that no game should do.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
ShadowGandalf01 said:
I'm enjoying it. I got it from PS+. It is very demanding, like you say. I've currently saved my progress at Day 18, I'm doing well, but one slip up, and everything I've done could be lost. It's that risk vs reward thing isn't it? Winter is coming... i'm trying to prepare, but for a newbie, it isn't easy... I have a feeling i may not survive to see the second summer. I'll give it my all though.
Good luck, winter did me in on my longest run. I died trying to kill animals because there was an extreme food shortage for me. All in all I love this game, but it isn't for everyone.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I so love this game on PC... Steam says I played it for 62 hours but I'm sure time spent playing this while offline isn't counted.
People should really check it out.

JMO Got Game

Lifelong Gamer
Jan 12, 2014
This is one of those games that I obsessively play for a couple weeks and then come back a month later and obsessively play again! The more you progress in this game the more you appreciate and enjoy it (even if you get sick of it) because you're constantly learning something new -- you come across a new creature, or you suddenly realize how a certain consumable is affecting your stats.

After playing it for a while the first time I even categorized the game in an "unused" group on Steam, thinking I'd never touch it again. But after watching a let's play on YouTube it inspired me, and boy, am I glad I jumped back in the saddle.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I bought it for $5 over Christmas and put about 12 hours into it... and it's probably all I will put into it. It's really enjoyable in the beginning, but what I really wanted to do was simply survive and set up a safe place to live. Once you've gotten enough food to survive (I have to alter the world so there are more of the yak things around for manure) it's pretty boring for me.

There are a good number of mods for it on the Workshop though, and it does increase the quality of the game. Not exactly what I wanted (I kept looking for mods to... happy up the color scheme) but good. Well worth the money I spent on it. may go back to it someday, we'll see.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
I really love this game. I've put probably close to 20 hours into since it released 10 days ago, and I never game that much. It hooked me, and even dying and having to restart didn't bother me too much. That all said I can really see how this game could bore you. It is repetitive, especially the beginning days, but each time you die you learn a little more, and can progress faster. Something that took you 10 days to do the first time, may take you 2-3 now.

Another thing, with all the different characters it really does give you some replay value. Each have their own positives and negatives, which only add to the complexity of the game.

If you have PS+ you need to play this