Don't use Zoom

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
USA
As far as I know they're in the process of setting it up. Desk phones were supposed to disappear this June. Once they make the switch Teams should basically have a dialpad as a regular phone would to let you call any number you like, not just other people with Teams on their computer. My guess is there will be some initial hitches, but I'm not opposed to the idea otherwise. Especially since I'll probably just reroute my work number to my cell phone for simplicity's sake.
I dunno, this is a pretty standard setup for a VoIP system - plus from what I read Teams is just the next evolution of Skype for Business.
I acknowledge at a minimum you're going to need at least one analog phone per building. But an entire VoIP system when you can just have Zoom for the vast majority of your staff?
Ever since the lock down, I've been working remote. Everything on either Zoom or Teams. The only people that ever called my desk phone were people trying to sell me something. Course, what will sales calls look like once everyone knows they need to reach me through Teams? (Zoom I receive email invites with links: easier to junk and delete them than dealing with my phone ringing all the time!)

Saint of M

Apr 27, 2020
Country
United States
I think its used because its free, and part of the Google line of programs, which has its own problem. The last couple months, most Organised Play games for Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons, and Star Finder have been online. Outside of a couple of games I played on Roll20, they have mostly been a combination of Zoom and Google Docks. I think skype is still a paid program.

I think its also simple to use, which is another factor.

To use gaming as an excample again, plenty of GM's and PC's are having a big learning curve with Roll20, so they find using ZOOM combined with Google Docks is much easier on many a player.

I have also noticed congregations of my religion using it for firesides and and other talks in leu of meeting in person.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think its used because its free, and part of the Google line of programs, which has its own problem. The last couple months, most Organised Play games for Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons, and Star Finder have been online. Outside of a couple of games I played on Roll20, they have mostly been a combination of Zoom and Google Docks. I think skype is still a paid program.

I think its also simple to use, which is another factor.

To use gaming as an excample again, plenty of GM's and PC's are having a big learning curve with Roll20, so they find using ZOOM combined with Google Docks is much easier on many a player.

I have also noticed congregations of my religion using it for firesides and and other talks in leu of meeting in person.
Skype only costs money if you want the full telephony package with hand set and calls to other landlines or mobile phones. To use it as a video conferencing tool over the internet requires only a Microsoft account to sign into it with.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
I don't get the sudden popularity. How many name apps already let you videochat?

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
Country
Republic of Texas
Gotta use it for work and it just came out at the time when the plandemic happened, and people needed an easy to use program. No one cares about botnet and security when it gives you convenience.

DJShaddycat

Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Seeing Zoom take off makes me very glad that I'm out of school now. It would drive me up the wall if I had to sacrifice my privacy just to attend my online class.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If I don't use it, I don't get attendance points.

Iron

BOI
Aug 13, 2020
Country
Occupied Palestine
Too late. My Uni is tangled with Chinese orgs so the semester is done through ZOOM entirely. feelsbadman