Don't Watch Dis-Topia, Watch Dat-Topia

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Don't Watch Dis-Topia, Watch Dat-Topia

These five dystopian movies might not be masterpieces, but they're all better than -- or at least as good as -- The Giver.

Read Full Article

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Wow, I'd never heard of the first 3 movies on that list up until now. Really obscure stuff right there. I have seen both Daybreakers and Equilibrium though, and didn't particularly like either.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
We tried Equilibrium a while back. When they came into the room searching for art in the first scene, I turned to my wife and said 'if it's the fucking Mona Lisa, we're turning this off'.

Ten seconds later, we turned it off.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Noami Watts. is. my. Waifu. And I didn't even know she was in Tank Girl. It has been some years, though, since I saw the movie. I hope this counts as a defense.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Tank Girl...really? I never cared for the film, though it had quirky amusement from time to time. Also a fan of the main actress (lots of voicework in games and animation), and the incomparable Malcolm McDowell (who was a pleasure to meet in person as well). But no, I would never suggest watching the movie.

Daybreakers and Equilibrium are those not-so-sleeper hits. They are amazing films that most dystopian/action buffs (rightly) know of, but never really got the acclaim that films like Matrix got. Daybreakers had a really smart resolution at the end as well, and neither movie felt pretentious (which is hard to do for many of these films).

blackaesir

May 16, 2014
Mcoffey said:
I've been meaning to watch Tank Girl, and now that I know there is a kangaroo Ice-T it must happen.

Flatfrog said:
We tried Equilibrium a while back. When they came into the room searching for art in the first scene, I turned to my wife and said 'if it's the fucking Mona Lisa, we're turning this off'.

You missed a fun movie.
Seconded!

To elaborate, there is plenty in it that is kinda generic. It also borrows heavily from some other distopian literature, pulling in random elements from 1984 and Farenheit 451, but it does so mainly as a setup for an awesome action movie. Bob is not wrong, the Gun Kata stuff, while totally unrealistic, looks really really cool.

Hey and Eddard Stark and Taye Diggs are in it.

Hot Madness

May 20, 2009
Flatfrog said:

That's a shame, it's one of the best action movies to come out in the past 20 years.

As for the other, I couldn't get into Daybreakers, I am of two minds on Tank Girl, and I never go to see Hell Comes to Frogtown or Rollerboys

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I've been meaning to watch most of these movies for years, but I have seen Daybreakers and thought it was just ok. Then I realized the "cure" for vampirism in the movie is a none-too-subtle metaphor for Baptism (you go through the "fire" of sunlight then get bathed in water) and suddenly the whole thing seemed incredibly preachy and judgmental.

Yeah, I get that the vampirism in this instance was a metaphor for both consumerism and general feelings of alienation in modern society. But I could really have done without the "You need GOD or sooner or later you'll turn into a blood crazed monster with an insatiable lust to kill!" message.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Mcoffey said:
I've been meaning to watch Tank Girl, and now that I know there is a kangaroo Ice-T it must happen.
Oh heck yeah go see it - it's a ridiculously fun movie. I loved it to pieces back in the day. There are some brief animations done in more-or-less the style of the original comic. Would've loved to've seen that for a whole movie, too.

Also bear in mind that it's timestamped with period music, so I can't promise it's aged well if you're not approaching geezer-hood (as I am).

Also, a vague thank you to MovieBob for confirming for me that Prayer of the Rollerboys was not an early 90s hallucination.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Equilibrium is a badass film! I've seen Daybreakers but it really didn't do anything for me.

Elijah Newton said:
Also bear in mind that it's timestamped with period music, so I can't promise it's aged well if you're not approaching geezer-hood (as I am).
I imagine some of the music hasn't aged well but some of it still stands up well for it's age.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
If Equilibrium and Day Breakers are not in your movie collection... seriously, you should remedy that!!!

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I loved Daybrakers but I found Equilibrium really boring until the last 10 minutes. Not seen the others.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
I'd completely forgotten Tank Girl existed until Lori Petty turned up in season 2 of Orange is the New Black, been meaning to try it again, see if I still love it. Such a fun movie, though it's the movie I've seen with the fewest people in the theatre. Saw it with my sister and it was literally just us in there.