Don't Watch Dis-Topia, Watch Dat-Topia

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
blackaesir said:
Hey and Eddard Stark and Taye Diggs are in it.
Did... did you just refer to one of the other actors by his name but the other by another role he's played?

"Sean Bean" isn't even that difficult of a name!

(Although he's always 006 Alec Trevelyan to me, with Boromir a close second.)

FiatCelebrity

Aug 25, 2010
Is liking Equilibrium an internet joke that I'm not in on? Seriously, Gun Kata is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of. It was even more dumb to watch. I don't remember face-palming more often watching any movie ever.

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
Nineteen Eighty-Four is really underappreciated. Probably one of the best book-to-film transitions ever done.

blackaesir

May 16, 2014
Chris Ingersoll said:
blackaesir said:
Hey and Eddard Stark and Taye Diggs are in it.
Did... did you just refer to one of the other actors by his name but the other by another role he's played?

"Sean Bean" isn't even that difficult of a name!

(Although he's always 006 Alec Trevelyan to me, with Boromir a close second.)
Yes, yes I did, and I am not the least bit ashamed of it, because its not like I don't know Sean Bean's name. That wasn't actually the joke.

If it makes you feel better, I looked on IMDB for a solid two minutes at Taye Diggs profile before determining that there was nothing as cool for him as there was for Sean Bean, aka 006/Alec Trevelyan, Boromir, Richard Sharpe, Eddard Stark and about a bajillion other roles (he plays a lot of SAS operatives). But thems the breaks. I always liked Taye Diggs in Equilibrium, but he hasn't really done anything else like it. He can't even compete with Michael Jai White in the B-Movie action category.

And yes... he is is always Alec Trevelyan to me too.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
dharmaBum0 said:
Nineteen Eighty-Four is really underappreciated. Probably one of the best book-to-film transitions ever done.
In a way, every dystopian story "borrows" from George Orwell's 1984. That thing's over 60 years old by now.

OT: Good choices, Bob. I've watched Daybreakers (on your recommendation) and Equilibrium, and love 'em both. I read a retro-review of Tank Girl on Comics Alliance saying it would work better as an animated feature, drawn by one of the original creators.
That Rowdy Roddy Piper one is funnier when you recall that he thought another movie he did, they Live, was a documentary.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
FiatCelebrity said:
Is liking Equilibrium an internet joke that I'm not in on? Seriously, Gun Kata is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of. It was even more dumb to watch. I don't remember face-palming more often watching any movie ever.
In the words of The Joker from The Dark Knight "Why so serious?" Sometimes film makers want to put something so stupidly awesome on screen just for the sake of it. I mean without that we don't have Pacific Rim. :) In my opinion there isn't enough movies with Gun Kata in the theatres.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Never quite got why Equilibrium was so popular. For one, the dystopian setting steals from more than just the Giver (Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451 are bigger sources). And sure, the Gun Kata would be fun, but the action scenes are so poorly shot and edited, its completely ruined. But I seem to be the minority here, since most people I know love the shit out this movie.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
At first this seemed a lot like Jim Sterling's list of games with a better story than Beyond Two Souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAo6gidj9U

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Didn't see the first 2 films. While Tank Girl sounds awesome on paper, it really isn't. Daybreakers was ok, but it didn't really blow my mind. Equilibrium is like that one student that everyone talks about. He's so smart and cool. Then, you meet him and end up realizing that he's not that special.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Seracen said:
Tank Girl...really? I never cared for the film, though it had quirky amusement from time to time. Also a fan of the main actress (lots of voicework in games and animation), and the incomparable Malcolm McDowell (who was a pleasure to meet in person as well). But no, I would never suggest watching the movie.

Daybreakers and Equilibrium are those not-so-sleeper hits. They are amazing films that most dystopian/action buffs (rightly) know of, but never really got the acclaim that films like Matrix got. Daybreakers had a really smart resolution at the end as well, and neither movie felt pretentious (which is hard to do for many of these films).
Oh man, the ending to Daybreakers was just brutal, in the good gory way, not the bad poorly directed way.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
KazeAizen said:
FiatCelebrity said:
In the words of The Joker from The Dark Knight "Why so serious?" Sometimes film makers want to put something so stupidly awesome on screen just for the sake of it. I mean without that we don't have Pacific Rim. :) In my opinion there isn't enough movies with Gun Kata in the theatres.
I loved how Winter Soldier used a weird gun kata style in the final battle of the new Cap. It helped differentiate him as a character because it looks so odd when the other guy isn't doing it too.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
FiatCelebrity said:
Thing is it's not even that visually appealing. It doesn't really have the energy of the kind of hyper kinetic shooting Hong Kong action flicks had. If I want something that is SUPPOSED to be what gun kata was going for I'd look to Devil May Cry 3 and 4. It also doesn't help that the main character is a boring, infallible cypher. There's no tension to any of the fights as he plows through hordes with such ease that you're just bored by the end of it. Maybe it wouldn't be so stupid if the film weren't so proud of itself and played so straight. It's kind of sad when you get down to it

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Why don't more people like Daybreakers? Perhaps because it was an unevenly paced, clumsily written and confused movie that didn't really make good of its premise save perhaps for the first 15 minutes. The bloodbath at the end is kinda cool though.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I was surprised not to see A Boy and His Dog on this list Bob. A young Don Johnson and his telepathic dog scouring the wastes for food and trying to survive, only to be kidnapped by an underground society trying to steal his sperm. Freakin' bizarre and awesome if you like post-apocalypse movies.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
VonBrewskie said:
I was surprised not to see A Boy and His Dog on this list Bob. A young Don Johnson and his telepathic dog scouring the wastes for food and trying to survive, only to be kidnapped by an underground society trying to steal his sperm. Freakin' bizarre and awesome if you like post-apocalypse movies.
Yessss.

If we allow post-apocalyptic cinema you must include Salute of the Jugger AKA Blood of Heroes. You need the UK or Australian release but it is well worth the effort.

Of course if we're talking dystopia it is always worth remembering The penis is bad, the gun is good.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
octafish said:
VonBrewskie said:
Yessss.

If we allow post-apocalyptic cinema you must include Salute of the Jugger AKA Blood of Heroes. You need the UK or Australian release but it is well worth the effort.

Of course if we're talking dystopia it is always worth remembering The penis is bad, the gun is good.
I expected to see Cherry 2000, personally. The tale of a sensitive guy searching the wasteland for a replacement body for his sex droid, post soap-bubble accident. Led by a beautiful, sultry hardass while fleeing the deadly, barbecuing Sky-Ranch gang. Potent stuff indeed.

It had a lot going for it: Cool set dressing, costumes and cars; a good narrative; great turns from the scene-chewing supporting cast in a range of colourful roles, from goofy to genuinely menacing. The social commentary was also clever and fairly subtle for an 80's flick.

Of course its problems include, among other things, whether that was really Melanie Griffith acting the the lead role, or a double wearing a paper bag with her face stapled to the front ? it's a close call.

The unrequited romantic stuff was also a bit off. The male lead presented as jaded by a cynical, commodity-driven modern sexuality who retreats into an artificial fantasy. Instead of what he was in truth: a creepy, socially superior miscreant with an unhealthy fixation on an oversimplified idea of what a real relationship is. Interestingly ? make it through the light silliness of the first act and the tacit endorsement of sexploitation is dealt with head-on.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Is there a large portion of people that dislike Daybreakers? Granted, it's not perfect and you're well within your right to not think it's great. But given it was a movie with the proper vampires in the era where vampires were generally regarded as shit (see Twilight), it helped remind people of what vampires were supposed to be. And it was a mostly fun movie outside of that.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
Flatfrog said:
We tried Equilibrium a while back. When they came into the room searching for art in the first scene, I turned to my wife and said 'if it's the fucking Mona Lisa, we're turning this off'.

Ten seconds later, we turned it off.
My cousin went exactly like this when we saw it together!!
"Its gonna be the fucking Mona Lisa... i pass, none of this makes sense"
Of course, i forced her to stay, and she argued during the whole movie until the end when that guy loses his face :p
"ok it was fine"
._.

I actually watched already all those movies, MovieBob just talked about Tank Girl a while ago and i just had to see it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
47_Ronin said:
Noami Watts. is. my. Waifu. And I didn't even know she was in Tank Girl. It has been some years, though, since I saw the movie. I hope this counts as a defense.
* Looks up 'waifu' from a work computer *

* Closes link and runs for the guns when they come from him *

Bob, why TankGirl? Lori Petty is very damn annoying in it. VERY.