Doom Co-Creator Believes Cloud Gaming Will Be Successful

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doom Co-Creator Believes Cloud Gaming Will Be Successful

id Software's John Carmack says that there is "no question" that cloud gaming will play a significant part in the industry's future.

At the keynote of this year's QuakeCon in Dallas, id Software's technical director and co-creator of Doom John Carmack says that he is confident that cloud gaming, such as that offered by services like OnLive or Gaikai, will be an important model in the future.

He said that he hadn't had any personal experience with the services available, and he wasn't sure when the market would be able to sustain cloud gaming, but he believed that it would solve a lot of problems that plagues games at the moment. He cited issues like DRM and cross platform development as just two things that cloud gaming would sidestep, and said that it would be a great boon to Linux gamers, as it would mean that they wouldn't have to wait for ports.

It's hard to disagree with Carmack, as he's not suggesting that cloud gaming will make platforms obsolete, just that it will be a great fit for some people. There will always be those who prefer having physical media, but just the same, there will be those who will enjoy the convenience that cloud gaming will offer.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65117]

Jul 22, 2009
Well as long as you don't think hard copies will become obsolete then yes cloud gaming will probably rise and play a part in the future of gaming.

But I still want my limited edition steelbook cases ¬_¬

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Does He know something we don't?

Cloud gaming sidesteps DRM in the same way that the atomic bomb sidestepped a land war in Japan.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Even if it does work I wouldn't use it because I like to own physical copies of my games, not rent digital copies.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
Even if it does work I wouldn't like it because I like to own my computing power, not rent it from someone else.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Uhm, I hate to sound like a moron, but...what is cloud gaming? I've looked at KoreyGM's post so is it similar to how MMO's work with being mostly server based?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
MikailCaboose said:
Uhm, I hate to sound like a moron, but...what is cloud gaming? I've looked at KoreyGM's post so is it similar to how MMO's work with being mostly server based?
All the game info is stored on a server, it's streamed to your tv, computer, ect. and takes far less computing power to get the same results, however it currently takes a monster internet connection and still has lag issues.

Also as I understand it with the OnLive service that basically started all this you don't own your games you pay full price to rent them for three years, and even if a service did let you own it you still only have it till they decide to remove the game from their servers.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
KoreyGM said:
MikailCaboose said:
All the game info is stored on a server, it's streamed to your tv, computer, ect. and takes far less computing power to get the same results, however it currently takes a monster internet connection and still has lag issues.

Also as I understand it with the OnLive service that basically started all this you don't own your games you pay full price to rent them for three years, and even if a service did let you own it you still only have it till they decide to remove the game from their servers.
...that sounds like a major train-wreck.
Give me my physical copy, I'll deal with possible computing problems.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Physical copies? No.
Cloud gaming? No.
Digital download copies? Fuck yeah!

I want to own my games, without the hassle of finding more shelf/drawer/desk space.

ZRShinigami

Jun 30, 2010
Well it would be nice switching completely to Linux, and not having to spend money every 6 months for comp upgrades. But i just want to know who is going to reimburse me when their server crashes and they lose all my save games.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
In order for cloud gaming to work, everyone everywhere will need at minimum of a 500mb/s flawless internet connection, and the ISPs will have to remove any and all download caps. If not then the gaming industry will loose more money then they thought possible.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
oktalist said:
Does He know something we don't?

Cloud gaming sidesteps DRM in the same way that the atomic bomb sidestepped a land war in Japan.
All I can say. Lmfao. Bad comparision though, some might take offense.

Either way, I am certainly NOT interested into Cloud Gaming as of this date. I rather prefer popping a DVD into my tray still and when I break it, blame myself. When their servers are kapuut, goodbye money.
I don't think that is how it works but point taken. I like the idea of cloud computing because it allows someone like me who lacks the correct computer (ala a Mac) to play many games like Crysis or even many others. I would love to use my computer screen (which with all macs is HD) to run a fast and fun FPS. Plus, if lag exists then a TBS or even a RTS would work for me.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Sure it will eventually be successful...so will space travel. But it's still a pretty long way off.

On hurdle to get over is the major hardware makers (both console and PC) who want everyone spending money for the next big machine, not just getting a fast internet connection and playing anything they want. Cloud gaming is definitely going to turn to industry upside down, and established powers like Microsoft and Sony probably won't like that much. Hell, nVidea and ATI might just go out of business if nobody needs a top of the line graphics card anymore.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Nah thanks.

I like my content to be accessible locally thanks. Not to rely on having a steady internet connection being connected to a server that could go down at any time if for some reason it's poorly maintained.

Even digital downloads aren't exactly in my good books right now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
it wont work as a real retail model but it might work as a rental service, unless consumers suddenly decide they dont like owning things

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
If people want to spend 60$ for a download and pay a monthly fee every month and always have to worry about server issues, by all means, go right the fuck ahead.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Until internet speeds are practically flawless in reliability for high performance capacity, it really seems like a very problematic endeavor until that is an easily achieved norm. The high bandwidth usage to provide the service is going to peeve ISPs, who are already clamping down by placing limits. And as greedy as some are to want gaming to be essentially a downloadable renting system, the big ISPs are of course also wanting the most profit with the least impact. One can speculate that for a higher bandwidth allowance, you're going to be paying a higher internet premium on top of whatever costs are related to the gaming.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
When I saw "Doom Co-Creator Bullish On Something Ludicrous" my thought before clicking was "I wondered how long it was gonna take John Romero to say something stupid again---I hope he doesn't try to make me his *****."

Then I saw it was Carmack. Stick to building rockets, Johnny. (hmm, that last sentence made me hungry for a cheeseburger.)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
High Internet Speeds are lies perpetrated by people who don't like cloud gaming, most experts compare the lag of muliplayer gaming on OnLive to that of console counterparts. The United States has average speed(speedtest.net) twice that of what the minimum required for OnLive.