Stalking the Digital Tundra
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Because it is optional and only cosmetic stuff and something you can't even seen since the game is in first person.

This exaggerated hardline response to never buy anything again because of this is ridiculous.
It's not about the skins themselves, it's the fact that they specifically promised not to do it and then did it. If they hadn't said anything about DLC or microtransactions and then added them to the game I wouldn't really care. As you said, they're optional cosmetics.

I didn't particularly care when lootboxes were added to Crash Racing because it was for cosmetic items and Activision hadn't previously stated they would never have lootboxes in the game.

It's not a hardline response to not buy from them because they added cosmetics to the game, it's because they specifically went back on their word by doing so meaning that I can never take anything they say about a game at their word.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
When Devs are too lazy to release DLC, but no greedy to just keep updating the game or stop updating the game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
When Devs are too lazy to release DLC, but no greedy to just keep updating the game or stop updating the game.
They just recently released a second DLC for the game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You know i think it is high time we move on from being upset over microtransactions. The business model has proven too profitable and the general moron who continues to pay for ultimate team packs and pink Darth Vaders has made the greedy corporation even more so.

And in regards to Doom. The game has been out for over a year completely microtransactions free. It has been discounted several times as low as 20 bucks and frankly the life cycle of the game is basically done. So added MTs to a game that is fading out as a continued experience brings a tiny bit of life back to the multiplayer or makes a few more sales...then fine i guess.

I dont think this was a Microsoft decision at all. I think Bethesda did this all on their own. Maybe as a way to show Microsoft the kind of longevity their games have (Skyrim) and generate some revenue considering the only kther money source atm is Fallout 76 and who the fuck is paying Fallout76?

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
You know i think it is high time we move on from being upset over microtransactions. The business model has proven too profitable and the general moron who continues to pay for ultimate team packs and pink Darth Vaders has made the greedy corporation even more so.

And in regards to Doom. The game has been out for over a year completely microtransactions free. It has been discounted several times as low as 20 bucks and frankly the life cycle of the game is basically done. So added MTs to a game that is fading out as a continued experience brings a tiny bit of life back to the multiplayer or makes a few more sales...then fine i guess.

I dont think this was a Microsoft decision at all. I think Bethesda did this all on their own. Maybe as a way to show Microsoft the kind of longevity their games have (Skyrim) and generate some revenue considering the only kther money source atm is Fallout 76 and who the fuck is paying Fallout76?
76 has had a surpsiing bit of renaissance, oddly enough. I still wouldn't be diving in on it though (particularly because of ludicrous overmonetization).

Also, Elder Scrolls Online. I'm prettysure ESO is dwarfing every other Betehsda project by a sizable margin in cashflow terms.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
76 has had a surpsiing bit of renaissance, oddly enough. I still wouldn't be diving in on it though (particularly because of ludicrous overmonetization).

Also, Elder Scrolls Online. I'm prettysure ESO is dwarfing every other Betehsda project by a sizable margin in cashflow terms.
Yeah maybe, and I don't know what kind of revenue this stuff in Doom is gonna bring considering it isn't really a live service game. So it's really hard to say. That being said, I still think it's not really a big deal because I don't think cosmetic Mt's are going to bring in new players to buy the game, nor will it bring people who've already been there, done that, back to replay as a lady doom or whatever.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Funniest thing about this is that I saw a thumbnail for a Youtube video (Doom Eternal - A Middle Finger To The Modern Gaming Industry) with "$450M No Microtransactions" on the bottom and just laughed.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I mean, let's not forget World of Tanks and their "gold ammunition".
I wish I could. Although "gold ammo" is at least accessible without paying money - you just have to grind a bit. The overpowered tanks you can buy with real money really are bullshit though. I'd been running down my WoT play for years, and finally gave up and deleted it last year. The tanks have increasingly become bullshit, not playtested adequately and released broken and not fixed for months and months.

I actually couldn't give a shit about microtransactions like skins. If people want to pay money for extra decoration, I absolutely do not see what the problem is. It's money for in-game advantage I resent.