Doom Eternal previews indicate its going to be masterpeice

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I'm just wondering if they are planning on rebooting Quake. Arena shooters are making a comeback, so it would make sense to revisit a classic. Or make more arena shooters cuz people are tired of COD like shooters.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Squilookle said:
Specter Von Baren said:
What would we get if Yoshi and B-cell performed the fusion dance together?
Non-stop threads raving about Metroid Prime and Splatoon, maybe? I dunno
it's actually so sad that i don't even have to post in a thread for you to mock me.

are you guys really THAT obsessed with me? god damn...

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Marik2 said:
I'm just wondering if they are planning on rebooting Quake. Arena shooters are making a comeback, cuz people are tired of COD like shooters.
I would love to see some evidence of that.

Yoshi178 said:
Squilookle said:
Specter Von Baren said:
it's actually so sad that i don't even have to post in a thread for you to mock me.

I can't speak for the others, but in my case I'd say you come across in a rather positive light.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Squilookle said:
Specter Von Baren said:

Just compensating for all the time we threw you into a pit for that little bit more jump distance.

Plus that booty.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I will say that Doom (2016) was one of the best FPS of the decade, but not the best game of the decade. Doom 4 is certainly better than a majority of the AAA FPS from the 2010s. I love the story of Doom 3 and Doom 4. With that said, there's not much left that could be done with Doom 3's story. The games and expansion closed all of the plot threads. EU novels add nothing and are at best ignorable. Doom Eternal I'm not that worried about the bigger focus on story. As long as they don't do what Machinegames did with Wolfenstein: New Colossus, I am okay with it. I just think it's cool that angels are finally showing up. I never expected that happen in a Doom game. You know what need? A crossover with Dante, Bayonetta, and the Doomslayer. I'd be down for that.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Worgen said:
Where does it say that in game? Cause I only remember stuff about them finding him and him being a legend that demon parents would tell their kids to scare them. So thats kinda the opposite from him being just a normal dude, like he was in the original doom.

Its buried in one of the exposition dumps way near the end. And IIRC, in the ingame codex/wiki thing, not the Doomslayer narration altars. Its a rather choppy delivery for sure, as you can play through the game and then suddenly you're freeing these weird Crusader Knights for no apparent reason to proceed unless you read the Codex thing.

The part where the Seraphim gave him super speed/strength IIRC is one of the narrated Doomslayer altars. I think the armour being forged is covered in another Codex.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marik2 said:
I'm just wondering if they are planning on rebooting Quake. Arena shooters are making a comeback, so it would make sense to revisit a classic. Or make more arena shooters cuz people are tired of COD like shooters.
Um, you do know that Quake Champions is a thing, right?

Or "was" a thing, I guess.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Squilookle said:
Probably, but I'm sure the Yoshi half of the psyche could convince him that a life spent only praising one shooter is not a life worth leading, so adding another shooter where a girl is covered head to toe in armour is probably a compromise he's willing to take. ...maybe.
Well, B-Cell likes Portal 2 despite a female protagonist. But that's also a game where she never speaks and is hardly ever seen, so it's easy enough to just pretend it's a guy. So your suggestion could also work here too

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hawki said:
Marik2 said:
Um, you do know that Quake Champions is a thing, right?

Or "was" a thing, I guess.
Been out of the gamimg loop for awhile. I've been on a bit of a binge on games I never had the chance to play. I used to casually watch playthroughs.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Meiam said:
Yoshi178 said:
Squilookle said:
Specter Von Baren said:

Just compensating for all the time we threw you into a pit for that little bit more jump distance.

Plus that booty.
how original of you... *rolls eyes*

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Apparently the game's journalist who couldn't get through Cuphead's tutorial released a new embarrassing video of himself playing this game.

I wonder if this is a joke or he's really that bad but yeah, took him 10 minutes to go through a single area lol.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Dreiko said:
Apparently the game's journalist who couldn't get through Cuphead's tutorial released a new embarrassing video of himself playing this game.

I wonder if this is a joke or he's really that bad but yeah, took him 10 minutes to go through a single area lol.
this is what happened when COD/BF fan try real FPS. gaming journalism at its finest.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
B-Cell said:
Dreiko said:

this is what happened when COD/BF fan try real FPS. gaming journalism at its finest.
This might blow your mind, but people can like more than one kind of FPS at the same time. Even COD and Battlefield fans are capable of enjoying Build or Unreal Engine shooters as well, for example

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Good question, and one I can't answer due to my experience being to limited to know the full extent of said over-reach, if any.

What I can tell you is that game publishers don't pay for good reviews.

Or at least, in the 5 years I worked in the biz, I was never offered, nor did I ever hear of anyone outright being offered money for a positive review. I suppose they do try to influence you with goodie bags filled with merch[footnote]90% of which I usually threw out because its useless junk that would just take up space[/footnote], and carting you off on all expenses paid day trips to preview events in major cities [footnote]Which weren't as fun as you might think. Most the time you travel to and fro in one day, and while on site you spend a lot of time sitting around waiting to your job. Free time to do anything else was rare. I fondly remember the one for Hitman Absolution in Paris tho. That was the one in the luxury designer loft apartment that had the huge pair of tits on the wall. They also fed us in a posh restaurant on Montparnasse. Idiots told us to order whatever we wanted. I got the most expensive steak. Was great fucking steak. Thanks, dumbshits![/footnote]. Which I guess could be considered attempts at bribery. Or my favorite thing, sending a PR rep to the office to stand right behind while you play and lean over your shoulder to give suggestions. Were almost invariably attractive women. Everyone in the office agreed Ubisoft's was the hottest.

I feel like I'm losing track of the point.
Ah, the tried 'n tested marketing method of placing pretty people in the vicinity of the product to explain product; those people have done their homework a little there! Classic and simple, but effective enough.
I now notice I failed to add in the last post it was written with the mind's anti-capitalist switch left firmly on from whatever was going on beforehand, so was actually thinking more about corporate lobbying in other sectors as opposed to the common theories more associated with groups we do not speak of that most certainly don't rhyme with waiter-bait. There is more nuance involved than such people often assume. In a way it almost comes across as an attempt at press grooming, in a sort of amusing adulty half-consenty sort of way. Though I'd personally just take more pleasure in tearing the product down afterwards, after the buffet is depleted and the bar is dry, but that isn't professional behaviour and is why they don't let me do funerals anymore.

(There was never a point, it was all misdirection from the start. Teehehe! [small](A metaphor for life, you could say).[/small]

-

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Squilookle said:
B-Cell said:
Dreiko said:

This might blow your mind, but people can like more than one kind of FPS at the same time. Even COD and Battlefield fans are capable of enjoying Build or Unreal Engine shooters as well, for example
my point is, Gaming journalists are full of casuals and mainstream gamers. and sadly these people are telling us what is good or what not. Thank goodness for youtubers like Gmanlives who are expert on video games.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
B-Cell said:
my point is, Gaming journalists are full of casuals and mainstream gamers. and sadly these people are telling us what is good or what not. Thank goodness for youtubers like Gmanlives who are expert on video games.
Yeah because industry professionals have no fucking idea what they're doing. But this random youtuber with a minor subscriber base knows so much more than professional critics.

Casuals? Their full time job is gaming! How the fuck is that casual?

Mainstream gamers? What does that even mean? Is Doom Eternal going to be some underground secret game that only the "Real" gamers know about? Oh wait.....nope it's a mainstream AAA fuckfest.

As usual, your post is stupid nonsense.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Chimpzy said:
Ah right, interesting to learn the difference between Western and Japanese oversight of press criticism. Would be curious to know whether that extends to other examples of corporate over-reach western business loves to indulge in as they exercise their "free market" tendrils, and if so, what particular cultural roots lie in how those potential differences manifested over time.
Good question, and one I can't answer due to my experience being to limited to know the full extent of said over-reach, if any.

What I can tell you is that game publishers don't pay for good reviews.

Or at least, in the 5 years I worked in the biz, I was never offered, nor did I ever hear of anyone outright being offered money for a positive review. I suppose they do try to influence you with goodie bags filled with merch[footnote]90% of which I usually threw out because its useless junk that would just take up space[/footnote], and carting you off on all expenses paid day trips to preview events in major cities [footnote]Which weren't as fun as you might think. Most the time you travel to and fro in one day, and while on site you spend a lot of time sitting around waiting to your job. Free time to do anything else was rare. I fondly remember the one for Hitman Absolution in Paris tho. That was the one in the luxury designer loft apartment that had the huge pair of tits on the wall. They also fed us in a posh restaurant on Montparnasse. Idiots told us to order whatever we wanted. I got the most expensive steak. Was great fucking steak. Thanks, dumbshits![/footnote]. Which I guess could be considered attempts at bribery. Or my favorite thing, sending a PR rep to the office to stand right behind while you play and lean over your shoulder to give suggestions. Were almost invariably attractive women. Everyone in the office agreed Ubisoft's was the hottest.

I feel like I'm losing track of the point.
Oh man the fancy dinners... In my industry they seriously started saying "no taking clients to dinner, it could be construed as bribery". Like. Are you fucking kidding me, if I seriously get awarded work because I paid for a guys dinner then its probably shit work anyway.

WE TAKE CLIENTS TO FANCY RESTAURANTS BECAUSE WE GET TO EXPENSE OUR OWN MEALS TOO, THAT'S THE ONLY REASON. God, I had a place as a go-to where entrees started at 50 bucks, and the fucking water was 5 per glass. I'm never going to get to go there again goddamit. And for the record, the three bottom feeders I would take out just about never gave us work anyway and when we got work from their companies it was uniformly projects those dbags had nothing to do with.

Feb 7, 2016
B-Cell said:
Squilookle said:
B-Cell said:
Dreiko said:

I like Gmanlives, but he's not an "expert on video games". He just works for himself, and doesn't have to worry about answering to a company nitpicking his every thought in hopes of homogenizing reviews and articles for the largest broad appeal.

I didn't get very far into the whole gaming journalism thing, mostly because I got bored, but I did get to poke my nose a few places.

Gaming websites need to make money. They need it to keep the site running, and to pay the people working for them. So they need those workers to pump out articles, and FAST. It doesn't matter how much you played the game, are you able to make a comprehensive article about the game before everyone else?

Some sites have lessened on that, and that's good. If they want to compete with the booming (and quite frankly, crowded) youtube gaming circle, they're going to have to start allowing more freedom and, heaven forbid, opinions on the games they're making articles about. Give their writers more time with the games, and either eliminate, or lengthen deadlines.

I didn't write a lot of articles in my time, only about 30 in total, but there were quite a few where I was writing them back to back, sometimes on games as long as 50 hours, and I was expected to do it in varying amounts of time. Sometimes a whole week, sometimes a few days, and my writing became sloppy as a result. There were a couple times where I only spent 2 hours with a game because honestly, that's all I had time for (to be fair, I wasn't getting paid much, if at all, and it was a hobby for most of it).

I'm not saying there aren't bad journalist who phone it in now and then, or that there isn't those that would rather preach instead of inform, but I am saying to cut gaming journalism as a whole some slack. Not everyone involved in the field is a hack sellout as individuals. Most often it's poor direction and management that culminates in bad writing overall.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DeliveryGodNoah said:
B-Cell said:
Squilookle said:
B-Cell said:
Dreiko said:

I like Gmanlives, but he's not an "expert on video games". He just works for himself, and doesn't have to worry about answering to a company nitpicking his every thought in hopes of homogenizing reviews and articles for the largest broad appeal.

I didn't get very far into the whole gaming journalism thing, mostly because I got bored, but I did get to poke my nose a few places.

Gaming websites need to make money. They need it to keep the site running, and to pay the people working for them. So they need those workers to pump out articles, and FAST. It doesn't matter how much you played the game, are you able to make a comprehensive article about the game before everyone else?

Some sites have lessened on that, and that's good. If they want to compete with the booming (and quite frankly, crowded) youtube gaming circle, they're going to have to start allowing more freedom and, heaven forbid, opinions on the games they're making articles about. Give their writers more time with the games, and either eliminate, or lengthen deadlines.

I didn't write a lot of articles in my time, only about 30 in total, but there were quite a few where I was writing them back to back, sometimes on games as long as 50 hours, and I was expected to do it in varying amounts of time. Sometimes a whole week, sometimes a few days, and my writing became sloppy as a result. There were a couple times where I only spent 2 hours with a game because honestly, that's all I had time for (to be fair, I wasn't getting paid much, if at all, and it was a hobby for most of it).

I'm not saying there aren't bad journalist who phone it in now and then, or that there isn't those that would rather preach instead of inform, but I am saying to cut gaming journalism as a whole some slack. Not everyone involved in the field is a hack sellout as individuals. Most often it's poor direction and management that culminates in bad writing overall.
I agree with most of what you said, but because of how up its own ass gaming journalism gotten, I can't trust or take majority of them seriously. Especially the fiasco with DmC (2013) when most of them encouraged and enabled a developer to mock and harass their own target audience! And then try to spin their own narrative about fans not liking the game because of reboot Dante's hair, when it was way more complicated than that. I've never seen people in a medium abandon certain games so hard to act like certain games were never great just to impress their piers in the film industry to be taken more seriously (God of War). Gamers have this problem too, but the journalists taken to the 9th degree. The YouTube scene ain't much better and there assholes out in the field that are just as bad, or became worse in some cases.

I do thank you for sharing. You have a great day.