DOOM Includes a Permadeath Mode that Even the Devs Can't Beat

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I really like the look of this although my days of Hardcore challenges are over. The last game I beat on the hardest setting was COD4. And Ninja Gaiden was the last "hardcore title" I beat on the hardest setting.

I just don't have the same spare time I used too.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:

fix-the-spade said:
What I really want is a Doom classic mode for the multiplayer, disable all those melee and movement sync animations, 1.5x movement speed, no loadouts, pick up guns, no Demon, no stupid damage number popping out of people's eyebrows. That would make me ecstatic.
While we're at it, maybe we should make the graphics 2D too and get rid of any jumping. And let's bring back sprites. Everything except the bare level is a sprite now. Actually, you know what, let's get rid of the Railgun and the Heavy Machine Gun weapons as well because those weren't in the original Doom either. Just weapons from the original Doom and nothing else.

>_> Look, I understand wanting a game to stay true to itself, but we need to and should progress. Doom 4 at its heart is still very much a run-and-gun game in the vein of the original Doom's and Serious Sam, so calm the hell down. (pun intended)
Progress doesn't just mean you blindly accept every change as an improvement. Criticism and scrutiny towards changes is a major aspect of progress as it allows us to identify which changes are truly an improvement, which ones are a dead end, which ones work with other changes, etc.

Arnoxthe1 said:

I've just been seeing a lot of hate directed at Doom 4 which really ticks me off considering that this is finally another AAA game that isn't total ass but actually pretty darn good. In any case, it seems a lot of actual passion went into it. As contrasted to The Division which is such a bland generic shooter that it's downright embarrassing, and Halo 5 which shoves its always-online idiocy and completely stripped down Custom Games options down your throat with a lackluster story and no split-screen. All the complaints about Doom 4 that I've seen have been literally 95% BS. The only thing I've heard that was kind of a legit complaint was the executions. (Which were in Brutal Doom yet everyone loved that to pieces.) And you can completely ignore those if you want. You can even turn off the graphical effect the enemies have which shows when they can be executed.

Okay, cards on the table, I haven't actually played the new Doom, nor am I really all that interested in doing so, but with that said ...

I really think that's a rather absurd thing to say, and not just because of your use of the word "literally" that makes my skin crawl. You don't have to agree with people's criticism, but disregarding it completely as "bullshit" is just ridiculous. While I haven't played the game, I've seen footage of it as well as arguments from both sides, and I can say it's certainly not as black and white as you're making it out to be. Plenty of people have very substantial and well articulated gripes with the game that aren't just a matter of "it's different therefor it's wrong!"

Just saying, you're being unnecessarily dismissive here.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
I really think that's a rather absurd thing to say, and not just because of your use of the word "literally" that makes my skin crawl. You don't have to agree with people's criticism, but disregarding it completely as "bullshit" is just ridiculous. While I haven't played the game, I've seen footage of it as well as arguments from both sides, and I can say it's certainly not as black and white as you're making it out to be. Plenty of people have very substantial and well articulated gripes with the game that aren't just a matter of "it's different therefor it's wrong!"

Alright, fine. I found a really good FAQ by kunanka12 in the Youtube comments section of all places for Doom 4. Here, it explains everything very nicely:

"Glory Kills are annoying, take the immersion out of the game, the yellow/blue flashing is stupid, it lock you into a two second cut scene, etc."
SOLUTION: You can turn off the glory kill highlights in the options menu, in-game upgrades can speed up glory kills, or you can simply NOT do them.

"I don't like the weapons, player upgrade system."
SOLUTION: Marty said in the video that you can beat the game using the vanilla weapons and base stats only.

"The game play is too slow for it to be DOOM (This has been a frequent one)."
SOLUTION: There is a power up in the campaign (Haste) which can greatly increase your speed, or you can use the upgrades to increase overall speed and/ or increase speed after a glory kill sequence

"The weapon wheel slows down the game."
SOLUTIONS: If you're playing on console, figure out which weapon is where so you can quickly switch. If you're playing on PC, you don't have to worry about that you're using the number keys to switch weapons.

"The game is not difficult enough, and there aren't enough enemies."
SOLUTIONS: The first level they showed is the second mission, there aren't going to be too many enemies. Notice how in the second and third levels there was more enemy variety and quantity. Marty Stratton said there can be up to 30 enemies on screen at once. And in the hardest difficulty, demons respawn when you backtrack, there are no checkpoints, the AI is overly aggressive, and you restart the ENTIRE game if you die.

"The game isn't scary enough"
SOLUTIONS: Go play Doom 3 or Doom 64.

"This game looks like HALO"
SOLUTIONS: Is that really a BAD thing? Halo took some things from Doom, Doom took some things from Halo. All is fair in love and space marines.

"This game has been consoliezed"
SOLUTIONS: PC will have an abundance of advanced settings and the FPS won't be locked at 60.

Mar 30, 2010
Aaannnddd just like that the next six months of my life roll out before me, the late caffeine-fuelled nights, the swearing fits, the temper-tamtrums like I'm suddenly 30 years younger, the broken controllers littering my living room. You do know how expensive Xbox One controllers are, don't you id?

I can't fraggin' wait for next Friday! :)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Grouchy Imp said:
Aaannnddd just like that the next six months of my life roll out before me, the late caffeine-fuelled nights, the swearing fits, the temper-tamtrums like I'm suddenly 30 years younger, the broken controllers littering my living room. You do know how expensive Xbox One controllers are, don't you id?

The members of the "PC master race" probably don't. ;)

Also, the game releases on May 13th. That's two Fridays away I'm afraid.

Mar 30, 2010
Hawki said:
Grouchy Imp said:

The members of the "PC master race" probably don't. ;)

Also, the game releases on May 13th. That's two Fridays away I'm afraid.
Ah, I refer to this coming Friday as this Friday, and therefore next Friday (the one after that) is the one in two weeks' time. I should have been a bit clearer.

Still, Doom soon, that's all that matters. :)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
FirstNameLastName said:

Alright, fine. I found a really good FAQ by kunanka12 in the Youtube comments section of all places for Doom 4. Here, it explains everything very nicely:
That doesn't really address the multiplayer concerns people are having over the two weapon limit, poor weapon handling and feedback, poor sound design, the weightlessness of the combat, loadouts having an effect on the gameplay, no weapon pickups at all, the speed (and no, a perk after glory kills is NOT a solution), the halo-esque melee combat, the two maps we got in the beta were rather poor quality, the clunky double jump, the exp system, or the perks.

"This game has been consoliezed"
SOLUTIONS: PC will have an abundance of advanced settings and the FPS won't be locked at 60.
That's...not what being consoliezed generally has anything to do with. A lack of graphics options would just be lazy porting.

The multiplayer portion of the game in general feels like a Frankenstein of modern console shooter trends, rather than being Doom. It doesn't even feel like a good version of any modern shooter, it feels like a company designed the whole thing by committee. Rather than being a successor to the Doom franchise, it feels like a checklist.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
While this is a welcome addition, the game still looks like a slow, tedious slog and the multi-player is still absolutely terrible. One neat feature is not enough to outweigh the mass of bad design decisions they've made.