Doomfist is Definitely Coming to Overwatch - He's Already Live on the PTR

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Doomfist is Definitely Coming to Overwatch - He's Already Live on the PTR

All the rumors have panned out, as Blizzard has added long-awaited character Doomfist to the Overwatch PTR.

We told you yesterday that Blizzard was officially teasing Doomfist for Overwatch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170683-Blizzard-Officially-Teases-Doomfist-for-Overwatch], and it looks like the company isn't willing to tease anymore, because Doomfist is now available on the PTR.

Doomfist is an offensive hero who specializes in melee combat. He does have a Hand Cannon for dealing ranged damage, but he makes his money with his cybernetic fist. He can charge his enemies using Rocket Punch, which knocks them for a loop, and he can also jump into the air and land fist-first using Meteor Strike.

As usual, you can find the full PTR patch notes and instruction on how to get in on the fun over on the official Overwatch blog [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20861969].

[gallery=7547]

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
inb4 "It's not Terry Crews!" lol

He's a cross between Vi and Galio, from League of Legends. I'm totally okay with this, 'cause melee bruiser-types are my thing :D

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Loved that trailer music.

Not actually sure why everyone's been wanting this guy, but whatever, hopefully he's fun to play.

EDIT: Okay, having seen some gameplay footage of him, that does look like fun. His mobility is crazy. Like Tracer/Genji level. He's a fair bit squishier than he looks though, which is probably just as well.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
linkblade91 said:

He's a cross between Vi and Galio, from League of Legends. I'm totally okay with this, 'cause melee bruiser-types are my thing :D
But Leona is a support, not a bruiser. :^)

Zhukov said:
Loved that trailer music.

Not actually sure why everyone's been wanting this guy, but whatever, hopefully he's fun to play.
I think most of the hype came around the notion that he might be voiced by Terry Crews...which clearly isn't the case.

He's a fair bit squishier than he looks though, which is probably just as well.
It is surprising considering that trailer, at least, would make him seem like a new melee tank considering how he just face-tanks Genji and Tracer without even flinching. I mean Tracer's bullets were literally bouncing off of him with no effect at all.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
RJ 17 said:
linkblade91 said:

But Leona is a support, not a bruiser. :^)
Hush you :p

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Wow, Talon is really lopsided as a team. 3 Offenses (One of which is sort of a support barely) 1 Defense, no tanks, no proper supports.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Souplex said:
Wow, Talon is really lopsided as a team. 3 Offenses (One of which is sort of a support barely) 1 Defense, no tanks, no proper supports.
No wonder all their ops keep failing, they've been playing with an awful comp this whole time!

Feb 7, 2016
I used him for a bit in PTR (until people kept insta picking Hanzos and Widowmakers in No Limits mode while everyone else just wanted to enjoy the new character. Seriously, go play fucking quickplay for that.), and he's certainly fun to use for a while. He certainly seems a bit too squishy if in the middle of combat, but I'm sure everyone can work through it with some time.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Am I the only one reminded of Strangler Bao from Shadowrun Hong Kong?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qDivPhRpvXM/VhFAJ5wsbAI/AAAAAAAAUKg/XaC8t-RJTzw/s0-Ic42/024.jpg

Well, it looks neat to play, I'll give it a look.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Played around a bit, the biggest pitfall is that he is in the same boat with the last 2 heroes, they don't completely fill a role. I really wish the Overwatch team would stream line heroes into a role instead of this varied approach.

I'm sure people will play around with him for a bit but he'll fall into the same pit as Sombra and Orisa. I mean it's the same problem all over again, an interesting kit but it falls short of the heroes who are hyper tuned for a single role. They don't fit in the team comp well enough/often enough to justify the pick.

It's like Sombra, why pick her if you can play Tracer?
Or Orisa, why pick her if you can play Rein?
And now Doomfist, why pick him if you can play Genji?

SoliterDan

Jun 27, 2017
Wake me up, when they'll add some Ainus, Ukrainians or Mari

https://uraloved.ru/images/lichnosti/narodi/mariyci-1.jpg

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Ever since I saw the posters for Doomfist it reminded e of Sieger from Samurai Shodown

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nz3/character/ss6/sieger-samurai-shodown-6-tenka-artwork.jpg