Doomsday Clock Moves One Minute Closer to Armageddon

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

I vote for Doomsday clock, the Mayans' river of blood is all dried up!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MSfire012 said:
Am I the only one that thought that the Doomsday Clock only existed in Watchmen?
If it makes you feel any better, Watchmen was my first encounter with it....

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Jandau said:
One of the things on my list of expenses once I get a stable income going is definitely a wilderness survival class, camping supplies and a decent stock of some foodtype that isn't going to go bad in the next 200 years. I live a small country that nobody gives a fuck about. If shit happens (be it war, disease or whatever) I want to be able to head for the hills, hunker down in the middle of a forest and wait for the whole thing to blow over. Granted, I'm not the only person thinking like that, so my forest might get a bit packed... :p
Oh hey, it's the Fallout 3 Wilderness Survival Guide.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
This is just ridiculous.

It was two minutes to midnight when the world was about to bomb each other into submission;
And it's five minutes to midnight when, aside from an ECONOMIC recession, everything is pretty alright.

What the fuck is 10 minutes to midnight? A world where people get along just fine?
What about 15 minutes to midnight? It that a world where everybody holds hands and frolics in the meadow?

Don't even get me started on 4PM, or as I like to call it, "8 hours to midnight."

RyanBishop

Apr 28, 2010
unacomn said:
5 minutes? Pfff, call me when it's TWO Minutes to Miiiiiiiidnight.
Beat me to the punch =)

"To kill the unborn in the woooooomb!!!"

Honestly, I think this is all a bunch of bull. If shit's gonna go down, no one will care about some clock. It might be at a 30 min to midnight point when some asshole launches a nuke on Washington or Moscow or London or Paris or anywhere. Then all hell will undoubtedly break loose, and the only thing any clock will have to do with anything is to mark the time when millions bite the big bazooka.

So all in all, enjoy life while it lasts, fuck the clock, keep blastin' the Maiden!

\m/-(^_^)-\m/

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Radoh said:
I believe Dr. Manhattan said it best:
"...I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man."
Honestly, if electing President Barack Obama was enough to change the time to Doomsday, than it has really no meaning at all.
That quote made my day!!!
I can't stop smiling now.
Thank you!!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Five minutes to midnight? Well that's really worried me; things don't get much more accurate than a figurative fucking clock.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
What we really need to do is set up a global system capable of shooting down nuclear weapons, from anywhere, heading to anywhere.

I mean, haven't we all sort of decided that these things were a bad idea, and that the only reason we want to have them is to be able to scare the other guys into not using theirs?

So yeah, just shoot the damn things down whenever they take off. Hell, have it automatically shoot down every rocket or thing that looks like a rocket and isn't on the flight plan approved by the UN.

We aren't going to convince people to destroy their nuclear arsenals due to fear of everyone else, but we CAN make them useless. And we should. Let the damn things rot in their silos, or reduce them to something that has to be delivered by hand.

That way, at least maybe we'd have to discover a new form of energy to blow ourselves up with. Should buy us a minute or two, anyway. :p

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
The Austin said:
This is just ridiculous.

It was two minutes to midnight when the world was about to bomb each other into submission;
And it's five minutes to midnight when, aside from an ECONOMIC recession, everything is pretty alright.

What the fuck is 10 minutes to midnight? A world where people get along just fine?
What about 15 minutes to midnight? It that a world where everybody holds hands and frolics in the meadow?

Don't even get me started on 4PM, or as I like to call it, "8 hours to midnight."
Because Economic recession and Capital abuse are such tiny insignificant issues...

lol.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
I apologize for any following profanity:

The "Doomsday Clock" is really fucking retarded.

I don't care if the circle-jerk of a group who determine the "time" of the clock are nuclear physicists, engineers, mathematicians, or what ever; the idea of a system to predict the demise of the human race is highly and grossly presumptuous, arrogant, and offensively alarmist. It's a complete shame that all these brilliant minds are acting like a bunch of pants-wetters due to something like current sensationalist schlock that they should know better to take with a grain of salt.

It's this kind of faux high-minded superstition that tries passing itself off as "scientific" because the progenitors of the system were supposedly themselves scientists that makes me most angry.

/rant

TLDR; this isn't newsworthy. If any of you remember, these hacks were wringing their hands and screaming "It's five minutes to midnight!" FORTY YEARS AGO.

Quit teasing us, are we going to die in a nuclear holocaust any time soon or not? If you can't predict it, shut the fuck up.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
MorphingDragon said:
The Austin said:
This is just ridiculous.

Because Economic recession and Capital abuse are such tiny insignificant issues...

lol.
You know what?
You're right.

The world is probably going to end any minute now, all because of the recession.
I'm going to go hide in my bunker.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Madara XIII said:
Radoh said:
I believe Dr. Manhattan said it best:
"...I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man."
Honestly, if electing President Barack Obama was enough to change the time to Doomsday, than it has really no meaning at all.
That quote made my day!!!
I can't stop smiling now.
Thank you!!
Oh! well you, kind sir, are very welcome.
It's nice to know that in the face of ridiculous apocalypse scenario speculations I can still put a smile on some faces.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
I don't trust a clock that's been stuck on less than 20 minutes to midnight for the past 65 years (at least), and alternately moves towards and away from midnight.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Strazdas said:
Daverson said:
5 minutes from midnight? Barely even looks like dawn from where I'm sitting.

It's amazing how those who are supposed to be the most intelligent amongst us can be so open to alarmist ways of thinking.

(Who thought of the clock symbolism, anyway? Doesn't that imply the end of the world by human hands is inevitable? Bit of a defeatist attitude if you ask me. Sure, you could argue eventually the universe has to end, but that's hardly what this clock was designed for, was it?)
well for one i wouldnt call facing the fact that we can destroy ourselves in a matter of 5 minutes alarmistic. All it takes is 5 minutes of madness and our planet is doomed. we must ensue this madness doesnt come.
The end of this planet by human hand is inevitable. the only question is when and will we be able to survive that. At least so far society show no signs of it being avoidable.
I don't think you understand, the doomsday clock isn't a physical measure of how soon Armageddon could occur, it's more like DEFCON, a measure of how close the world is a geopolitical catastrophe (ie, nuclear war)

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't think any nation's willing to risk MAD. The fact that we didn't end ourselves during the cold war should be more than enough evidence of this.

While global warming is definitely something we should seek to avoid, it's hardly the end of the world scenario some people make it out to be.

Economic collapse? Not going to happen. We've had worse economic problems than this (bear in mind, this is only a recession, not even a depression), and we've got through them fine. Even if it does, at worst, it'll be the end of a few nations, not humanity. We lived fine before we had economies before, it's hardly like being without them will suddenly kill us stone dead.

If anything, saying the only way we can die as a species is by our own hands is nothing short of pretentious, for all we know, by the time you're reading these very words the planet's already been struck by an asteroid travelling close to the speed of light, and you've only got seconds before you're choking on radioactive space dust.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Radoh said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Just a guess but I'd say that clock is about as acurate as this one:

But, that clock is extraordinarily accurate.
What time is it?
Calibration time.
if its Calibration time all the time when is it Reyn time?

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Greg Tito said:
The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists agreed the world is less safe than it was two years ago.
You'd be very careful out there folks, cause we're at TERROR ALERT ORANGE [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKNI-9eFv8I#t=1m54s] today, so look sharp!