Dota 2 community adds over a million dollars to this year's International prize pool in 14 hours.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

Base prize pool: 1.6 Million dollars.
14 hours after the Compendium and Point Boosters are released: 2.67 million

For the uninitiated, the International Compendium is an interactive digital book that Dota 2 players can purchase that contains a bunch of competitions and contests regarding the event, and the every Compendium bought adds money to the prize pool. For every stretch goal reached, Compendium owners also benefit from the listed prizes at each goal. You can also "level up" your Compendium this year for further upgrades to the base prizes, either by buying XP packs or completing objectives listed in the Compendium itself. 14 hours after the Compendium was released last night, the prize pool has been increased by over a million dollars. Last year it took the Dota 2 community months to be able to reach a similar amount, with The International 3's prize pool capping at around 2.8 million. This year I can easily see it reaching the 4 million dollar stretch goal, with the distinct possibility of it going the full distance to 6 million.

Basically, Valve is urning reel moni!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
bleh, i guess the dota 2 community is very passionate about their game, they must have atleast 1 redeeming quality, no offense to Dota 2 players, but my experience with your kind hasnt been the most... enjoyable

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
bleh, i guess the dota 2 community is very passionate about their game, they must have atleast 1 redeeming quality, no offense to Dota 2 players, but my experience with your kind hasnt been the most... enjoyable
And we thank you for your input of coming into a thread about a game you dislike and insulting the people who play it.
Just saying that if you find the community less than favorable I find your choice to do this something... odd.

OT: Yeah, it's really impressive. I'm liking the new compendium stuff too, wondering how high up it'll go this year. What was it for Ti3, 3.2 mil? I can only imagine there'll be more.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I'm loving the compendium, I'd have likely watched the games anyway but having this really gets you more involved a lot more with the predictions and prizes and what not. That's besides all the items and boosts that come with it.

Also I'm going to bed now, and I'm almost certain the new game mode goal will have been reached when I awake. Not that it will be patched in game by then but still, quite looking forward to a bit more of a laid back game mode, hoping the games are shorter for when I only want a quick one.

Also we will absolutely demolish last years total, just because of the selling of compendium levels. Last year the only way to advance the goal was to buy more compendiums, however with Valve selling compendium levels people can spend as much as they want and have it effect the same account. People have already spent like $400+ on the stuff to get to "max" level.

One day into the compendiums release, and with qualifiers starting on Tuesday, I'm very much looking forward to TI4.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
And we thank you for your input of coming into a thread about a game you dislike and insulting the people who play it.
Just saying that if you find the community less than favorable I find your choice to do this something... odd.

OT: Yeah, it's really impressive. I'm liking the new compendium stuff too, wondering how high up it'll go this year. What was it for Ti3, 3.2 mil? I can only imagine there'll be more.
well i do find commendable they show so much support for their own game... when they are not down voting it on metacritic

like i said im pleasantly surprised by this, but my overall opinion of the fandom remains the same, and you certainly didnt help

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

We got to 2.8 Million last year, with the 3.22 Million dollar goal being "We'll add Techies," basically.

This year we're absolutely hitting 4 million dollars. 6 Million? Possible but unlikely.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

well i do find commendable they show so much support for their own game... when they are not down voting it on metacritic

like i said im pleasantly surprised by this, but my overall opinion of the fandom remains the same, and you certainly didn't help
I just find it rather curious that you came into the thread to give the most backhanded of compliments. There's a lot of things I don't like that other people do and generally when they're discussing it I keep some kind of distance because of... well, this kind of thing happening.

Admittedly I haven't had the best of days so I'm probably jumping down your throat for no reason, apologies, but your decision just befuddled me somewhat.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

like i said im pleasantly surprised by this, but my overall opinion of the fandom remains the same, and you certainly didn't help
I just find it rather curious that you came into the thread to give the most backhanded of compliments. There's a lot of things I don't like that other people do and generally when they're discussing it I keep some kind of distance because of... well, this kind of thing happening.

Admittedly I haven't had the best of days so I'm probably jumping down your throat for no reason, apologies, but your decision just befuddled me somewhat.
well sorry if i worded it wrong

"its nice the dota 2 community shows support for their game, my general negative opinion about them remains the same"

there, it sounds too robotic for my taste but i guess this is an acceptable compromise, keep in mind its all my opinion based on my experience with the dota 2 community, i dont think ive ever had a positive interactions with people in the community, hell, just look at this:

a few months back there was sort of like a phishing epidemic in the steam trading scene, after getting fed up with all the stupid bots adding me i tried to do something about and made a thread alerting people in the TF2 community hub

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/0/558749824383937290/

many replies talking about the pphishers and such

one time i got added by a bot account that belonged to a person that didnt play TF2 but played Dota 2, realizing the Dota 2 community must be having troubles as well i made a thread in the Dota 2 community hub

http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/558749824918114303/

only 1 response, and not exactly helpful, read for yourself

and lets not even talk about when i tried to play dota 2 for the first time and i dared to mention i had played LoL before

this is all just my experience, maybe youve had it better

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

well gee sorry if i worded it wrong

"its nice the dota 2 community shows support for their game, my general negative opinion about them remains the same"

there, it sounds too robotic for my taste but i guess this is an acceptable compromise, keep in mind its all my opinion based on my experience with the fandom, i dont think ive ever had a positive interactions with people in the fandom, hell, just look at this:

a few months back there was sort of like a phishing epidemic in the steam trading scene, after getting fed up with all the stupid bots adding me i tried to do something about and made a thread alerting people in the TF2 community hub

one time i got added by a bot account that belonged to a person that didnt play TF2 but played Dota 2, realizing the Dota 2 community must be having troubles as well i made a thread in the Dota 2 community hub

and lets not even talk about when i tried to play dota 2 for the first time and i dared to mention i had played LoL before

LOL!!! This happened to me. It was a respectable account with value far greater than my own so I didn't think it was a scam. I added the friend on the site and realized something was off. After searching around I realized the link was a letter off and I quickly reset all the passwords and everything then proceeded to report the guy. I think that may not of been a bot, but rather a victim... however I don't care enough to follow up. >=> I'm still sad that I lost my old password :<

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the best thing about this is that everything dota2 related is now in glorious purple.
and i really want to keep the new effects, purple dagon is just nice.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
blazearmoru said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

well gee sorry if i worded it wrong

there, it sounds too robotic for my taste but i guess this is an acceptable compromise, keep in mind its all my opinion based on my experience with the fandom, i dont think ive ever had a positive interactions with people in the fandom, hell, just look at this:

LOL!!! This happened to me. It was a respectable account with value far greater than my own so I didn't think it was a scam. I added the friend on the site and realized something was off. After searching around I realized the link was a letter off and I quickly reset all the passwords and everything then proceeded to report the guy. I think that may not of been a bot, but rather a victim... however I don't care enough to follow up. >=> I'm still sad that I lost my old password :<
it happens bro, good thinking from you chaging your pass before those assholes could steal it, i never really fell for it, the first time a bot added me i was like "ok..." because of the oddly specific message, when im about to click the link i realize its a fake, and it only got worse from there, bot after bot after bot, and i quickly realized they were all victims when i noticed their backpacks were actually valuable, it was the zombie apocalypse of phishing

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
TheKasp said:
I myself put 5$ into the pricepool (sold my last valueable TF2 stuff a few weeks ago and had enough in my steam wallet) and I am just amazed as to how gigantic the growth is in comparison to last year. It helps that the price pool is not limited by the amount of players the community has but how much they want to invest, saw already people who invested around 500$ into it.

Last years pricepool which was collected from april to august is already surpassed. Mini Pudge courier to go!

NuclearKangaroo said:
Well, it is nice to see people write such lengthy posts about phising in trading, and the response is not warranted at all, I want to say one thing:

The steam community forum of DOTA2 is a wretched pool of idiocy and hate. You won't help anyone there, you won't find anything aside from frustration and you'll even have a slight chance of getting dumber.
you might be right, still im not eager to try again and reason with the dota 2 community, ill lower my tone tough, the next time i decide to critize em

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
TheKasp said:
I myself put 5$ into the pricepool (sold my last valueable TF2 stuff a few weeks ago and had enough in my steam wallet) and I am just amazed as to how gigantic the growth is in comparison to last year. It helps that the price pool is not limited by the amount of players the community has but how much they want to invest, saw already people who invested around 500$ into it.

Last years pricepool which was collected from april to august is already surpassed. Mini Pudge courier to go!

NuclearKangaroo said:
Well, it is nice to see people write such lengthy posts about phising in trading, and the response is not warranted at all, I want to say one thing:

The steam community forum of DOTA2 is a wretched pool of idiocy and hate. You won't help anyone there, you won't find anything aside from frustration and you'll even have a slight chance of getting dumber.
you might be right, still im not eager to try again and reason with the dota 2 community, ill lower my tone tough, the next time i decide to critize em
There will always be assholes in every group and those are the people who leave the worst impression... but if you're going to say that a fair percentage of the dota community are assholes well... I'll agree to that... but most people are also assholes. Hrm, don't take my word on this next thing but I vaguely recall some study done to check the average age group of CoD, LoL and DotA players. I forgot the results for cod but I think lol was highschoolers and dota was college+ so at least in terms of reason and logic I think aside from the fact that most people are retarded (look around the world at what crazy shit people believe) the dota community should be less terribad than the other two. Just expect resistance if you say shit without clear air tight logic and don't forget that some people are genuinely retarded and will make shit up. In the earlier case, though you had cause to be angry, you seem to have had no reason behind your criticism and you did insult everyone based on the actions of a few which would count as provoking and your actions merited and deserved resistance. However I don't think your tone was wrong as being upset is natural and necessary at times. More importantly, discussion is always nice but instead of insults it'd be nice if you had theories to solutions. =]

Edit : I apologize for the fact that what I wrote is almost illegible.

Allevil

Nov 11, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
hazabaza1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

like i said im pleasantly surprised by this, but my overall opinion of the fandom remains the same, and you certainly didnt help
You don't understand. DIRETIDE MAN

OT: Like the idea of a Compendium but this year I feel like they went over the top by allowing you to level up your compendium with compendium points which you can buy for real money. I mean, cmon Valve, how much money do you want to squeeze out of us? :(
Only as much as you want to spend, I suppose.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
blazearmoru said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
TheKasp said:

NuclearKangaroo said:

There will always be assholes in every group and those are the people who leave the worst impression... but if you're going to say that a fair percentage of the dota community are assholes well... I'll agree to that... but most people are also assholes. Hrm, don't take my word on this next thing but I vaguely recall some study done to check the average age group of CoD, LoL and DotA players. I forgot the results for cod but I think lol was highschoolers and dota was college+ so at least in terms of reason and logic I think aside from the fact that most people are retarded (look around the world at what crazy shit people believe) the dota community should be less terribad than the other two. Just expect resistance if you say shit without clear air tight logic and don't forget that some people are genuinely retarded and will make shit up. In the earlier case, though you had cause to be angry, you seem to have had no reason behind your criticism and you did insult everyone based on the actions of a few which would count as provoking and your actions merited and deserved resistance. However I don't think your tone was wrong as being upset is natural and necessary at times. More importantly, discussion is always nice but instead of insults it'd be nice if you had theories to solutions. =]

Edit : I apologize for the fact that what I wrote is almost illegible.
i understand that but MOBA games and particulary dota 2 take it to another level, there are douches in TF2, but rarely as many as in dota, plus if you decide to just fuck around in a match in TF2, youll rarely get called out for it, theres more helpful people in TF2 in my opinion, and i think dota 2 is the first community ive seen to down vote their own game on metacritic because they didnt receive,or rather received late, an update that was never promised

i dont have that cynic view of the world, i dont think everyone is stupid

my main theory about the toxicity of MOBA communities is because of the nature of the game, in games like TF2, if you end up in a terrible team, the matches are usually short and teams can get scrambled to balance things up, in most MOBAs, matches are long and you are stuck with your team until it ends, you cant even quit a match without being punished for it, you either lose your time or your patience, plus a bad teammate can have a greater effect in your match because of the smaller team sizes

that being said, some things dont add up, i also played CoH a lot, an RTS game, where a missing/terrible teammate can also make a huge difference in a match, and the community wasnt as bad as MOBA communities (dont get me wrong it wasnt great either) i also dont get why theyd throw a tantrum over diretide, the TF2 community has gone far longer without a mayor update, that was just embarassing, and after that happened is kind of hard to believe "only a few" of the community are insufferable

but well this is all my opinion some of it based on pointless anecdotal evidence

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Vocal minority. It's the obnoxious dickbrains that make themselves known the most. It seems like they're in the majority even if they're like only 1 in 10 people because they stand for over half of the communication. Still, I know what you mean. You can be 10-2-20 while winning hard and they'll still tell everyone to report you for being a retard. There's a lot of good people that play dota, they just don't talk as much. Try setting the mood by being friendly; they'll be more inclined to speak up.