Dota 2's Gameplay Amazes Announcers

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008
Dota 2's Gameplay Amazes Announcers

The first footage of Valve's next game features Europeans yelling about monster murder.

Valve is hosting a Dota 2 tournament at GamesCom this week, and you can drool over some fancy footage of the ongoing event right here. The video captured from a competitor's screen shows off a handful of heroes before the commentators start flipping their lids over the multiplayer action.

It's hardly detailed or explained clearly through the announcers' excitement, but it gives the general idea of what Dota 2, Valve's sequel to the Defense of the Ancients mod for Warcraft III, is all about. Namely, that a bunch of cool creatures are clobbering each other with fireballs. The video should also give the unfamiliar a clearer understanding of the action/RPG/real-time strategy combo that is the "multiplayer online battle arena" genre.

If you like what you see, you can register for the DOTA 2 beta from the official website [http://dota2.com/tournaments/international/], where the tournament live stream starts up again around at 10 AM CET. That's about 3 AM EST on our side of the pond, so enjoy that while the rest of us are sound asleep.

Dota 2 is set to release on PC this year.

Source: RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/first-dota-2-footage-escapes-gamescom/]

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
We need some football announcers for this.

That would make the game atleast 20% cooler.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Wow... the redesigns for these classic characters look freaking amazing.

Props, Valve, props.

Also would like to smack every youtube commenter who put something like "not quitting LoL/HoN for this herp derp" out, as if it's impossible to play a little of both.

I'm well invested in LoL, but Dota looks amazing so far and is a goddamn Valve title. Besides that, it's rumored to be F2P as well. I see no problem in playing both games. I mean, different pool of characters, play both and add a little variety; it's not that hard.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
"Paused by the Referee", sometimes interrupted by mostly bad games with a couple of good moments.
Gorgeous graphics.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
i was watching the replays on the dota website, I fell asleep, but thats because there was no commentary, it was 50 mins long and i was really tired

I really hate the way it took nearly 12 minutes for everyone to pick/ban their characters in the start before the game, i really hope this was just an esports initiative because they were probably figuring out their strategy on what they wanted to ban and chose but I imagine when I start playing it, im gonna get bored and quit if every game starts off with 12 minutes of faffing about

I get frustrated enough when someone takes ages picking the unit on SC2 team monobattles, even the 1 min breaks between COD matches hack me off

Call me impatient but i just want to play the game! staring at menu's isnt my idea of fun...

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
TitsMcGee1804 said:
i was watching the replays on the dota website, I fell asleep, but thats because there was no commentary, it was 50 mins long and i was really tired

I really hate the way it took nearly 12 minutes for everyone to pick/ban their characters in the start before the game, i really hope this was just an esports initiative because they were probably figuring out their strategy on what they wanted to ban and chose but I imagine when I start playing it, im gonna get bored and quit if every game starts off with 12 minutes of faffing about

I get frustrated enough when someone takes ages picking the unit on SC2 team monobattles, even the 1 min breaks between COD matches hack me off

Call me impatient but i just want to play the game! staring at menu's isnt my idea of fun...
I'm sure they'll have a free pick mode as well as ban/draft pick. LoL does. Draft pick is usually reserved for ranked games.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
TitsMcGee1804 said:

There are game modes: you will be able to play faster ones. The one you are seeing there is Captain's Mode. The faster modes such as Single Draft, All Random etc will surely be added if they aren't already.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
Innegativeion said:
I'm sure they'll have a free pick mode as well as ban/draft pick. LoL does. Draft pick is usually reserved for ranked games.
Reveras said:
There are game modes: you will be able to play faster ones. The one you are seeing there is Captain's Mode. The faster modes such as Single Draft, All Random etc will surely be added if they aren't already.
I see, I have never played a dota style game before so im new to the mechanics

At the very least i would have loved to hear the team discussing their strategy on like picking and banning, a little bit like the F1 drivers and their teams in the pits communicating, and it lets you listen in now and again. It would make DOTA 2 shoutcasts much more fun

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
TitsMcGee1804 said:

I think the main reason why it took them this long to choose their heros was because there is a lot of money involved, $1'000'000 for the first place I think. So they plan everything really carefully and don't want to rush things. I guess that's why the first streamed match took over one and a half hour.

elcher

Mar 19, 2011
Why are the commentators yelling so much and even more important, why is the sound quality so bad?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I'm not all that much into these Dota games but it didn't look like they brought something new to the table.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Reveras said:
I see, I have never played a dota style game before so im new to the mechanics

At the very least i would have loved to hear the team discussing their strategy on like picking and banning, a little bit like the F1 drivers and their teams in the pits communicating, and it lets you listen in now and again. It would make DOTA 2 shoutcasts much more fun
The problem with this is that the only team that speaks English is MyM because they have an American player and possibly some of the other teams with international players. But for the most part, English is not spoken.

Beryl77 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:

I think the main reason why it took them this long to choose their heros was because there is a lot of money involved, $1'000'000 for the first place I think. So they plan everything really carefully and don't want to rush things. I guess that's why the first streamed match took over one and a half hour.
Nope, that's just -CM mode. IceFrog changed it to make it longer a few versions ago, and now it averages 12 minutes to pick. Luckily, its pretty much only used for serious games.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Meh, looks like League of Legends with more 'realistic' graphics and crappy character names.

Think I'll be sticking to LoL.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I missed DOTA but enjoyed LOL. I was hoping this would be an improvement over LOL but it actually looks identical gameplay wise and with more realistic but less pretty graphics.

Also agreeing with everyone else who's said the character names are lol wtf awful. Ancient Apparation isn't even a name more an over-dramatic description.