DOTA, DOTA 2 & League of Legends, WTF Are They Exactly?

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Can someone fill me in on these games? I am seeing their names pop-up everywhere but I have no idea what they are. League

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Their MOBA's, Massively (or Multiplayer) Online Battle Arena's. Your and your team pick heroes and fight the other side to take out their base.

Check youtube, I know for a fact there's a ton of videos about each one there.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Can you explain a little bit more? Battle as in strategy, roleplaying, fighting, etc?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
mikey7339 said:
Can you explain a little bit more? Battle as in strategy, roleplaying, fighting, etc?
MOBA is a subgenre of Real Time Strategy. Think of it as a reverse Horde Mode of sorts. You pick a hero, and your goal is to destroy the enemy stronghold. To do this, you need to protect your cannon fodder minions as they advance across the map, while killing your opponents. As you kill more, you level up and get better abilities to either bolster your team or damage your opponents.

It blends RPG leveling systems with RTS gameplay.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Top-down isometric roleplaying/fighting/rts games, sorta. Really, they're a genre of their own

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
mikey7339 said:
MOBA is a subgenre of Real Time Strategy. Think of it as a reverse Horde Mode of sorts. You pick a hero, and your goal is to destroy the enemy stronghold. To do this, you need to protect your cannon fodder minions as they advance across the map, while killing your opponents. As you kill more, you level up and get better abilities to either bolster your team or damage your opponents.

It blends RPG leveling systems with RTS gameplay.
So...do you build bases like in an RTS or are you just playing as a hero like Arthas in Warcraft 3?

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011

There's WTF of LoL and DOTA 2 that should help explain things in easier detail.

Basically what it boils down to is you and your squad mates are each assigned lanes to defend from other heroes and small mobs called creeps which you can kill for money. The strategy come in in trying to kill or force the opponent hero back to their base to let you push that lane (travel further down towards the enemy base.)

You have to take into account things like what your opponents picked, what build you want (item wise anyways) when you want to fight the person and when you want to hide and gank them.

It's mostly a fighting / strategy game.

DOTA was a mod based off of Warcraft 3 so it's you just focus on your character, the bases and towers are all pre-positioned.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Yeah, it's a wierd genre of its own that evolved out of a mod on the 'ol Starcraft one but popularized on Warcraft. It's sort of an action/rpg game with strategy involved that runs off of an RTS base.

This video on the history of Dota might help. (It's part one out of 3 though)

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Lagao said:
Heres an easy explanation.

Its the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Also arguments over who fucked up ensues by the losing team.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
And this answers the question as to whether or not I should give these games a shot (no). Thank you for your time folks.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
mikey7339 said:
And this answers the question as to whether or not I should give these games a shot (no). Thank you for your time folks.
Not if you want to deal with people who are reasonable no. Though you will find a few good guys every now and then.

You can, at least for DOTA 2, don't know about LoL or HoN, play with Bots though to help get a hang of it.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I call them Aeon of Strife games due to their roots.

It also makes sense (to me at least...):
Aeon = a long time or eternity
Strife = conflict

Aeon of Strife = Conflict of Eternity or Eternal Conflict, which is what these games are.

MOBA is a term coined by Guinsoo, and ARTS is a term coined by GabeN.

If anyone has the right to term the genre, it's Eul, who created Dota.

I personally dislike the work MOBA. It sounds kinda childish to me.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
they're all kinda good with a horrible community that give more than enough reason to never look at the game

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Aircross said:
I call them Aeon of Strife games due to their roots.

MOBA is a term coined by Guinsoo, and ARTS is a term coined by GabeN.

If anyone has the right to term the genre, it's Eul, who created Dota.
Wait you know the root is AoS but consider Eul to have right over the genre because of DotA?

OT: They are fun games if they fall to you taste but find some friend to play with as it helps deal with the community/avoiding it