Double Fine Blooper Becomes Middle Manager of Justice Beta

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Double Fine Blooper Becomes Middle Manager of Justice Beta

Double Fine has learned that when Apple says September, it means it.

Middle Manager of Justice does not have a launch date, and if by chance you downloaded a copy not so long ago from the App store, congrats! You are now a beta tester. This comes to you courtesy of Double Fine project lead Kee Chi, who submitted the super hero management title to the App store for tentative release in early September. Chi found out too late that when Apple says September, it means it.

When Double Fine realized that more work needed to be done, Chi didn't want to remove Middle Manager of Justice from Apple's submissions queue. That might have meant making a completely new App Store submission, with all the launch delay that implied. Double Fine didn't even know whether Apple would let it launch in September, and certainly never thought Apple would release the game into the wild without telling Double Fine first. Then Chi got a phone call asking, was he aware that the game had gone live, in every territory?

"It wasn't what I wanted the world to see quite yet," said Chi, adding that at Double Fine "we pride ourselves on putting a solid product out there, so having something out there that was buggy and not quite ready yet was really frustrating." In a lemons-into-lemonade epiphany Chi decided to reach out to those who had bought the game, asking players who had spotted bugs to send reports to Double Fine. Double Fine would do its best to make sure that players who had bought early would be inconvenienced as little as possible. Said DF Kee in an official Double Fine message board post, "if you've already have purchased something in game, please note that it will still work when the game is updated. You can keep playing if you wish, but you should really wait for the full release in the coming weeks."

No word yet on an actual release date for this title. Within the next few weeks is as far as Double Fine cares to go at this point.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/177345/Double_Fine_turns_an_iOS_slipup_into_an_accidental_beta_test.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29#.UE3StVFAWhv]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Doesn't surprise me at all, when working with Apple it's their way or fuck off

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
Newsflash: if it's so complicated to get a program approved on a platform, however popular it may be, that you have no desire to get it re-approved, and because of that in the end your customers will suffer (and your brand, by extension), move to another f**** platform.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I have a feeling this is really going to bit them on the arse. The people ho bought the game ate not going to post "bug reports", they are going to complain and say very nasty things.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The only thing I got out of this article is that Double Fine made a game I wasn't aware of...how did that happen?

Nice recovery on Double Fines part too

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
and certainly never thought Apple would release the game into the wild without telling Double Fine first.
They're used to dealing with publishers and gaming industry folk, where Apple is a major dick, so I can understand their confusion.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Rainboq said:
Doesn't surprise me at all, when working with Apple it's their way or fuck off
Does this mean I get too compare Apple to Microsoft now??

I hope so, Apple is just as evil as Microsoft but with minions of ultra-loyal Mac Pride 'activists'.

Illessa

Mar 1, 2010
luvd1 said:
I have a feeling this is really going to bit them on the arse. The people ho bought the game ate not going to post "bug reports", they are going to complain and say very nasty things.
*shrug* the NeoGAF and DF threads where they asked for feedback seemed perfectly civil when I skimmed them, and included several people who dived into bug finding and reporting with glee. You can get away with a lot when you're upfront about the fuckup, and have a reputation for openness and taking customer reports into consideration (seriously, check out DF's official forum or the Steam boards for their games, the devs are all over and are super honest and helpful).

Sadly I'll be waiting for the Android version.