Double Fine Reveals Spacebase DF-9

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
How many more new Double Fine games will be announced before they actually finish one of them? I can't help but think they took some of the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter money and put it in to this project, which is why they somehow ran out of money despite getting eight times what they asked for.

Plus I'd rather have Psychonauts 2 or Costume Quest 2!
People were saying this when the Massive Chalice kickstarter came up, and it's just patently untrue. They haven't done anything shady with the money. What has happened is that Tim got...overly ambitious is the nicest way of putting it. At this point, Double Fine has put in a substantial amount of their own money into the game to get it this far. I want to say the actual budget of Broken Age is past the 5 million mark, but don't quote me on that. It's been awhile since I've seen the pertinent documentary episode. They got that money from the Brutal Legend PC release, Humble Bundles, etc.

They're all working hard on the project and mistakes have been made, but they're honest ones. Nothing malicious is happening here, just common, everyday financial incompetence along with a willingness to do whatever it takes to release a quality product. Which appears to be the case, since their chosen method of prolonging their funding is to take it directly from the profits they would expect to make.

I love Double Fine as a company, but I would be so happy if they had a better business manager. Though they did hire a new one who has made the best of a bad situation, so who knows.

Also, how is Costume Quest? It's been on my mental "check it out some time" list for awhile, but I've never gotten around to it.

Sight Unseen said:
And their Massive Chalice game is still on pace last I heard (which I haven't heard much about really even though I backed it for a small amount)
Massive Chalice is looking pretty good at the moment actually. Check out the last couple of team streams on twitch or youtube. Some very nice concept art and design discussion. Even a very early working test build.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Abomination said:
Er, Double Fine... don't you have two kickstarters already running?

How about you at least finish one of those before starting ANOTHER project? I understand game development involves multiple branches and professions and there is going to be some down time but certainly some of them can be transferred back into an incomplete project to at least refine certain aspects during development?

Because this is just looking stupid.
These are my thoughts exactly. They should really think about finishing a game first.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Furbyz said:
Also, how is Costume Quest? It's been on my mental "check it out some time" list for awhile, but I've never gotten around to it.
It's pretty good, and since Halloween is coming up it would be a good time to play it! Although if you hate QTEs you might find some of the combat annoying, you get a QTE that gives a damage/defense bonus and in some battles they are almost the only way to survive. It's also a bit short but there is no grinding involved and it has a good sense of humour so most of the game is fun.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Knowing absolutely nothing about this game, I can only hope that it'll be similar to Startopia. Man, that game was awesome.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Knowing absolutely nothing about this game, I can only hope that it'll be similar to Startopia. Man, that game was awesome.
Im with you on that. My impression from the trailer is that it doesn't look as good as startopia, but it's still too early to say I guess. Oh well, I got my copy of startopia, maybe i ought to boot it up.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
"sci-fi Dwarf Fortress game."

Seriously though unless they have peoples layers of skin peel away as they are exposed to vacuum it won't be a dwarf fortress. Or have people dragging their guts behind them because the surgeon who was supposed to stuff them back in got drunk and they healed with their intestines outside of their body. Or they are invaded by a space dragon whose breath weapon becomes "frozen chunks of dwarf blood" after consuming a few of the fortress inhabitants. Or if someone takes a dark mood, grabs a baby and runs for a workshop, then comes out proudly carrying some masterwork dwarf bone jewelry.

Or my favorite fortress experience: The mining team breached the cavern and were promptly pummeled to death by a cave ogre. Then the ogre started rampaging through the fortress and was barely put down without grievous injuries to the survivors. While the ragtag remainder were recuperating a cave dragon attacked. Thinking it was the end I sent every living dwarf on the offensive. Just before he was conscripted the bone setter delivered a crutch to a survivor of the cave dragon attack who got an arm and leg torn off. Everyone except the bedridden double amputee was butchered and the cave dragon went to work murdering the livestock, because it was an asshole. The bedridden guy apparently was tired of dying of dehydration because nobody was delivering water so he got up. But I had forgotten I had conscripted EVERYONE before the massacre. So this one-armed, one-legged total badass hopped down the hallway, picked up a shield, and promptly crushed the cave dragon's skull. Then he ran the whole fortress by himself for a month until the next wave of immigrants arrived.

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Well, at least now we all kinda know what happened to all that money they got from their kickstarters. I don't mind they do this as long they do not overpromise and underdeliver when the deadline comes.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
cursedseishi said:
Here's some fun trivia buddy.
Here's some more "trivia", Buddy.

How they conduct themselves in regards to asset allocation between projects doesn't mean dick to kickstarters. If money from Kickstart Project X goes towards any other project then the Kickstarters have a right to be annoyed. They're not paying for the other project, they're paying for Project X.

Double Fine doesn't have the best track record of financial management either.
Sight Unseen said:
The kickstarted money is NOT going towards these other projects. It is being spent only on the project for which they earned it.
Good, then develop as many other side projects as they like. But don't spend a cent from the kickstarter funding on side projects.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Idlemessiah said:
This looks pretty cool. Like if FTL was a space station and isometric. I doubt I'll bother with the alpha but I think it'll be a solid piece worth buying when its finished.
I've played the prototype (it came in one of the humble bundles a while back), and it's pretty much nothing like FTL. Dwarf Fortress with less features and a user interface that is actually comprehensible is more like it. It even has the feature where you designate areas for certain functions, so instead of, say, building a med bay, you'll assign someone as a doctor, designate their place, and they'll go to work setting it up for you.

As far as it goes, I'm glad it's getting made. The prototype had me intrigued, but it was an obvious proof of concept with very, very few features. I figured at the time it was something that had been rejected, since the only prototypes I recognized were early builds of games that had been out forever, but I guess it was just super early in development. Makes me wonder if any of the other prototype-only games in the bundle will get fleshed out eventually.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I must be missing something but I can't tell why people are defending Double Fine's mismanagement by explaining their mismanagement.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I'd really like to see a costume quest 2 myself to be honest (too much to ask for a psychonauts sequal).

Costume quest though they could probably bang out pretty fast. Obviously they can't have it ready by holloween this year (or it would have been released already or at least talked about), but maybe they could make one by next year.

Sadly it sounds like they are working on a ton of other stuff already.

I'm not sure why they have not worked on a new costume quest since it was cheap/fast to make and sold quite well. Using mostly the same engine and just expanding on it a bit, they could probably make part 2 almost as fast as they made the expansion pack....and make a tidy profit as well.

Why does DF not ever really make sequels to games everyone liked?

And to the person asking if Costume quest is a good game. It's a fun/quirky game. Not to long..but decent length with the expansion as well. It's extremely cheap usually quite often (sales all over the place for it) especially right before halloweens. I would certainly buy a sequel right away at full price....if that says anything.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
cursedseishi said:
Ignorance. How cute.

1) Resource allocation does actually mean something to kickstarters, at least it should. Considering that we as the backers are technically investors, all matters of the project are relevant. Just because a bunch of idiots think "Hey I'm buying this game!", doesn't make it true. And before you ask, yes I am one of the backers for one of their projects. So please, do not assume you speak for everyone, you only make yourself look stupid.

And like I said in the post you snipped down, in case you forgot. More people = More money. And when stretch goals for projects can include bringing in named individuals, it does actually become relevant for its backers. Take a gander at Shadow of the Eternal, for instance. That more than proves that concept alone.

2) You keep talking about them using money from one project for other projects, yet like everyone else who says the same thing, you have absolutely no proof besides the same inane conjecture those same individuals tend to throw about. So before you open your mouth, so to speak, please make sure you're not about to put your foot in your mouth. I've seen your foot, and you've stepped into some major bullshit.
That's some major hostility. Did you miss the second part of my quote? I said if they aren't spending the money in other areas I have no issue.

I never claimed to have proof they are, just suspicion that I voiced.

I guess voicing suspicion is ignorant when there's no proof of how things are going either way.

I'll be certain to call someone ignorant for raising a concern in the future.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Plus I'd rather have Psychonauts 2 or Costume Quest 2!
Or Iron Brigade 2.

I definitely think they should try to concentrate on what they were already working on instead of starting new ones.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
So its a reimagined Startopia? Ok .. it could be good if they haven't gummed it up with a bunch of useless options.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Desert Punk said:
My this reminds me rather a lot of Space Station 13, if SS13 had been taken further in its development.
This is what I was hoping as well, but looking at the screenshots makes it look more like The Sims in space than SS13.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, a low-cost Startopia? Cool, I guess, though I'm kinda inclined to join the chorus of people screaming "Finish a game already!"...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Looks like something I'd be interested in, but I'm not a fan of Steam's "Early Access" program.
I never got it either. I understand putting down money to try out what's essentially an alpha build, but I cannot wrap my head around the logic that one would pay significantly more than launch price for an incomplete game.

I can imagine Minecraft would never have had the popularity it got if their alpha release cost a full $60.