Double Fine's The Cave to Offer Subterranean Adventure

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Double Fine's The Cave to Offer Subterranean Adventure

Play as a spelunking time traveller in Ron Gilbert's new game.

Ron Gilbert and Double Fine are taking us into a cave unlike any we've ever seen in the upcoming adventure game, The Cave. Most of us imagine caves as the dank, dark places filled with bats and bears that they are. Apparently, Gilbert and Co. imagine caves that have personalities and are filled with amusement parks, castles and weapons of mass destruction.

Set to release in 2013, The Cave sounds like just the kind of quirky game you'd expect from Gilbert, the creator of Maniac Mansion and the Monkey Island series. The downloadable title puts players in control of a motley crew of spelunkers as they navigate the pitfalls of a personified cave. A teaser trailer available on the Double Fine site [http://www.thecavegame.com/] shows off a bit of the puzzle-oriented gameplay, with characters seen flipping levers, dragging boxes and riding a whole lot of elevators. The side-scroller appears to feature a healthy dose of platforming and exploration as well.

Of the seven characters in the game, you'll choose a team of three as you work your way through the adventure. The diverse roster includes a dim-looking hillbilly, a scientist in a clean white lab coat, a futuristic time-traveler and others. Each offer unique abilities that players will have to combine in order to get through puzzles met along the journey.

[gallery=726]

The Cave has been announced for release on PSN, XBLA and PC, and is due sometime next year. In line with its move toward taking fewer financial risks following substantial income declines last year, Sega will be handling publishing duties.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Is this the result of the recent Kickstarter campaign? It looks cool but a little underwhelming for the huge amount of funding they built up.

EDIT: Looking at the Kickstarter page, it appears this is not the game made from that. Good.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Oh. I could've sworn they were making Psychonauts 2, but this one looks interesting.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Is this the result of the recent Kickstarter campaign? It looks cool but a little underwhelming for the huge amount of funding they built up.

EDIT: Looking at the Kickstarter page, it appears this is not the game made from that. Good.
If it were this would have been the fastest turn around ever.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
ThaBenMan said:

3 Million is a crap budget by today's standards.
Most decent games have a budget well over 10 million. There are naturally exceptions, but don't think that you can make a game grand game with a small budget.

But yeah, I think this game looks fine, and sounds like a lot of fun to play. Especially because of all the different characters that you can choose from. This certainly adds to replay value I think, since this means that you can have a totally different experience with all those different characters.

Puregrrr

Nov 21, 2009
Shut up and take my money! I don't care what it costs. I want to play this game immediately.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The concept sounds very similar to The Lost Vikings or Trine, but since this is Double Fine, I expect this to be utterly awesome.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Hmm, let's be honest here. This is probably still the most conventional game Double Fine has ever made. Doesn't make it look less fun though and, knowing Double Fine, it probably will be.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Double Fine is one of those groups that I have no idea how they got to be popular. They seem to have pumped out a single, perhaps overlooked game, and now people are constantly all over their feet with praise.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
You said Ron Gilbert, stop selling now. I'm already in. Worked for DeathSpank, if this is only half as entertaining, I'll be satisfied.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Double Fine is one of those groups that I have no idea how they got to be popular. They seem to have pumped out a single, perhaps overlooked game, and now people are constantly all over their feet with praise.
Double Fine as Double Fine haven't done a huge amount. It's what the people involved have done that keeps us interested. Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert basically are adventure games. Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango. Name a classic adventure game and at least one of those two was probably involved. And if they weren't it probably still used SCUMM (King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Sam and Max, etc.). Throw in a few games in other genres like Total Annihilation and Psychonauts, and it's clear that they're not just one trick ponies either.

People are excited about Double Fine because they're excited about the people who defined an entire genre going back and doing it all over again. Even if their new stuff can't match up to what nostalgia tells us their old games were like, they'll probably still be some of the more fun games around.