Down Under

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Milky_Fresh said:
What I want is an open world horror game in central Australia. It's fucking scary there. Would make an awesome Survival-Horror FPS type thing.
Alternatively, a zombie game set in Melbourne. You play as an indian uni student, and the zombies are all young anglo-saxon australian men [http://memegenerator.net/Aussie-kid/ImageMacro/1234148/Aussie-kid-BLOKE-MAKES-EYE-CONTACT-WITH-YOU-******-BASHING-TIME]. Objective is the survive the night.
I think the zombie addition is not needed to make that scary

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
ilikepie59 said:
I dunno, our SASR is pretty epic (it's a real shame "kickass" and especially "badass" don't work too well in an Aussie accent)

OT: I wince at Australian accents in anything that is originally not Australian. Even if they're originally Aussie, it sounds fake next to all the Americans. It took me so long to get used to Miranda in Mass Effect 2.

Also, it bugs me when other countries think 90% of us speak with Irwin-esque accents, even though it's almost the opposite, i.e. about 10% do. (And don't get me started on the "riding kangaroos to school" joke)

I've never even said g'day without it being a joke.
God yeah. I've been told the reason why our accent sounds weird is because people actually have to adjust it for foreign audiences. They slow it down and open their mouths more (according to a actor we know). The only non-Aussie Aussie accent I've heard that was actually really good, was done by an Irish exchange student I met at a pub.

Sergeant Schatten

Mar 3, 2010
ilikepie59 said:
Pararaptor said:
Nintendolover222 said:
I don't know, have there been any first person shooters in Australia? Seriously, all the games I've ever played have been in Europe, the Americas and Asia. Actually, why isn't there a game where you play as a member of the SASR?
Because everything military & Australian is shit.
I dunno, our SASR is pretty epic (it's a real shame "kickass" and especially "badass" don't work too well in an Aussie accent)

OT: I wince at Australian accents in anything that is originally not Australian. Even if they're originally Aussie, it sounds fake next to all the Americans. It took me so long to get used to Miranda in Mass Effect 2.

Also, it bugs me when other countries think 90% of us speak with Irwin-esque accents, even though it's almost the opposite, i.e. about 10% do. (And don't get me started on the "riding kangaroos to school" joke)

The only people who say g'day are foreigners talking to australians.
But I guess I'm not helping, I try my best to be stereotypically aussie when in another country.
Calling everybody mate, throwing crikey's left right and centre.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Sergeant Schatten said:
The only people who say g'day are foreigners talking to australians.
But I guess I'm not helping, I try my best to be stereotypically aussie when in another country.
Calling everybody mate, throwing crikey's left right and centre.
Its pretty fun though. Sort of like convincing tourists that we keep pet kangaroos.
"What you haven't seen one yet? Just keep a closer eye out next time you pass by a park. They always have to be kept on a leash though."
Ah, the joys you can find with a bus load of American High School students.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Pararaptor said:
Nintendolover222 said:
I don't know, have there been any first person shooters in Australia? Seriously, all the games I've ever played have been in Europe, the Americas and Asia. Actually, why isn't there a game where you play as a member of the SASR?
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. Our soldiers are amongst the best in the world. Especially the SASR, who are often considered to be the best special forces operatives in the entire world (and not just by us either).

Not to mention our colourful military history, and the fact that our country as a setting is unlike any other on Earth. We have a unique culture, unique landscape, unique flora and fauna... plenty of stuff that'd be perfect for a game.

Imagine... the main character could fight snakes, spiders (both the venomous and bird-eating varieties), kangaroos, koalas, crocodiles, killer lizards, blue ringers, lethal (and virtually-invisible) jellyfish the size of your thumb, great whites, bull sharks, platypus, dingos, and a myriad of other animals that eat hope and shit death.

In other words, a sim.

ilikepie59 said:

It was really obvious in Farscape too, especially when characters like Gianna (or whatever her name was) would keep switching between Aussie and American.

I watched Mad Max the other day, and all the characters (other than Max's wife) seemed to have a hybrid accent. It really pissed me off.

ilikepie59 said:

Yeah I know. Sometimes I use phrases like "dinkum" just to be annoying, but I've never known anybody who actually speaks like that.

Anoctris said:
Are you fucking kidding me?

There's a reason it's called the ANZAC 'Legend'. Our fighting spirit, skills and our achievements ARE... FUCKING... LEGENDARY... mate.

<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kapyong>Kapyong
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tan>Long Tan
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somme_Offensive>Pozieres and Mouquet Farm
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Coral-Balmoral>Coral-Balmoral
Hazebrouck

Hell, we even helped conceive the modern <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank>'Tank'.

And considering most of the current equipment we use are 2nd rate compared to our big buddy America, the 3 services do a pretty damn good job.
Agreed.

I visited <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villers-Bretonneux>Villers-Bretonneux five years ago, during an ANZAC music tour with my school. Read that, and tell me that we didn't make an impression.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
A Raging Emo said:
Left 4 Down: Under.

Featuring Keith, obviously.
I swear to you Keith will make an appearance,Valve will use him to hype up a game.

OT:Hotforwords can go down under any day.

Downfall89

Aug 26, 2009
Milky_Fresh said:
What I want is an open world horror game in central Australia. It's fucking scary there. Would make an awesome Survival-Horror FPS type thing.
Alternatively, a zombie game set in Melbourne. You play as an indian uni student, and the zombies are all young anglo-saxon australian men [http://memegenerator.net/Aussie-kid/ImageMacro/1234148/Aussie-kid-BLOKE-MAKES-EYE-CONTACT-WITH-YOU-******-BASHING-TIME]. Objective is the survive the night.
This. Is fucking classic.

OT: Lord of the Rings: Battle for Down Under. Except no one will be fighting, as no one really cares about Australia.

Nibsy

Sep 11, 2009
Anoctris said:
And considering most of the current equipment we use are 2nd rate compared to our big buddy America, the 3 services do a pretty damn good job.
Not all the equipment is 2nd rate, the Austeyr is a helluvalot better than the M16A4, at least reliability-wise.

OT: I'd like to see an open-world sandbox game (a-la GTA) set in Aus. Grand Theft Auto: Down Under.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
PurpleSky said:
A Raging Emo said:
Left 4 Down: Under.

Featuring Keith, obviously.
I swear to you Keith will make an appearance,Valve will use him to hype up a game.

OT:Hotforwords can go down under any day.
I hope they don't use the "This one time, me and my buddy, Ellis..." stories."

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Nibsy said:
Anoctris said:
Not all the equipment is 2nd rate, the Austeyr is a helluvalot better than the M16A4, at least reliability-wise.
And we have slouch hats.

Anyway, I just thought I'd contribute this:

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
kimba_lion said:
Bealzibob said:
Pararaptor said:
Thats no true, I think the kokoda track could be made into a decent game, it's already got a movie which means by american standards it deserves a game.

umm.. sorry to mess up your researching skills but im pretty sure that the Kokoda trail is in Papua New Guinea... just thought i would let you know
I know the Kododa trail isn't in australia, But last I check (I'm not a historian) but we had a rather valiant campaign through the track to fight back the ...japanese (I assume it was the japanese) during WW2.

I should really know this like the back of my hand as i've studied it at school a billion times. I suppose I prefer to forget it as when i think about it, it makes me feel guilty for living such a plush life.

StrangerMouse

May 16, 2010
Boogiepop Phantom Down Under. YOU KNOW IT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Also, I have lived in Australia all of my life, but I do not posess an Australian accent. At. All. People tell me I sound halfway between Liverpudlian and South African.