Download Demos To Your 3DS Starting Tomorrow

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Download Demos To Your 3DS Starting Tomorrow

Diving further into the internet age, Nintendo has revealed plans to stock the Nintendo 3DS eShop with actual game demos.

Presumably this sort of thing was an inevitability from the second Nintendo revealed the online functionality of the 3DS handheld, but who can actually tell what Nintendo ever has planned?

Thus, this news comes as a pleasant surprise. Even more pleasant is the initial slate of big-name demos the company has revealed for the service.

As of Thursday, January 19, 3DS owners will be able to download a trial version of Capcom's Resident Evil: Revelations. Come January 26, they'll be able to sample Sega's Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Then, at some nebulous point in the future, the eShop will also see demos for Konami's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D and Ubisoft's Rayman Origins.

Granted, it's a slow trickle of demos, but it's certainly better than the "nothing" that fans of Nintendo handhelds are more accustomed to when looking to try out prospective future purchases.

Though, if Nintendo really wanted to boost this new service, it would offer playable demos of some of the older, smaller titles found in the eShop. Kids these days have never heard of Link's Awakening, but if Nintendo offered a free, one-dungeon demo of the game, they'd realize that it's one of the best titles in the Legend of Zelda canon.

Seriously kids, that game needs more love. Go buy six copies and report back once you've finished all of them.

Source: USA Today [http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2012/01/nintendo-launching-3ds-game-demos-thursday/1?AID=4992781&PID=4164945&SID=o7wkba5cijqg]

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Sweet! Though I'm still waiting for those Ambassador games to go up for sale. I want me some of that Fire Emblem.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Qitz said:
Sweet! Though I'm still waiting for those Ambassador games to go up for sale. I want me some of that Fire Emblem.
I read the notification about them(I happen to be an Ambassador, don't laugh) and it says that Nintendo has no plans to release the games for the public. I dunno if the situation has changed though.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Ddgafd said:
I read the notification about them(I happen to be an Ambassador, don't laugh) and it says that Nintendo has no plans to release the games for the public. I dunno if the situation has changed though.
They've put a couple of them for sale in Japan already, Legend of Zelda and Super Mario both coming out for non-ambassadors. Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/super-mario-bros-updated-for-3ds-eshop-release-in-japan/]

Could just be a few but I hope they'll, eventually, put the older waves out still. Even if they do go for $6 a pop.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i think i speak for all 3ds owners when i say this: " illin' ".

to be honest, i don't regret my purchase of the 3ds, and i got it at 250$. now i don't regret it even more.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Links awakening was the first zelda game I played! I still love it the most!

I also love the new demo idea! It's going to be Legen-dary!!

Also, it would be weird if Nintendo don't release the Ambassador games eventually! People surely want to buy them, and they are already ported... Surely it's a quick and easy cash in for them?

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'm excited. I think this will be a useful feature and help people to find games that they like. I know there are some I'd love to check out.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I'll be sure to test out Revelations. But can Nintendo hurry up and put Harvest Moon (SNES) and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past (GBA or SNES) on the Virtual Console for the DS? It's on the Wii's VC so why the fuck not?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
I'll be sure to test out Revelations. But can Nintendo hurry up and put Harvest Moon (SNES) and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past (GBA or SNES) on the Virtual Console for the DS? It's on the Wii's VC so why the fuck not?
Because the DS/3DS aren't Wiis. They'd have to create DS compatible emulators. Maybe they've already got those, but given how emulation works, and how difficult it is to get one to run efficiently, they can't just re-use the ones created for the Wii virtual console.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Azure-Supernova said:
Because the DS/3DS aren't Wiis. They'd have to create DS compatible emulators. Maybe they've already got those, but given how emulation works, and how difficult it is to get one to run efficiently, they can't just re-use the ones created for the Wii virtual console.
Well that's kind of what I'm questioning. Homebrewers managed to crack it on the GBA (save a few issues with the resolution), nevermind the DS. The eShop is just barren save for all the chaff they're trying to sell and a few Game Boy titles. The power is there and they've finally got a handheld that can properly handle the native resolution of the SNES, I'm just wondering why they haven't done it yet, yet they've managed to put the time into the GB, GBC, GBA and NES.

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
Played the RE: Revelations demo. There were a few times where I freaked out and accidentally whip-lashed my top screen, which then in turn caused me to pause the game and inspect the hinges to make sure I didn't break anything (which was also a very scary and tense moment).

It's a good demo. It feels like the "Lost in Nightmares" DLC for RE5, which was good and tense. Not sure what I think about the new item-searching mechanic, but I'm sure it will grow on me. The demo's definitely sold me though, I'm buying this game as soon as it comes out!

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Snake Eater demo would help Nintendo a LOT. While we're at it, why not release demos of your most anticipated games, such as Kid Icarus, and Kingdom Hearts? You know, when they're ready? Don't you start releasing demos for titles such as Imagine: Housewife (or whatever) and stuff like that in lieu of good titles.
Or, as stated before, why not release demos of already successful titles from the past? I remember playing SSBB and playing a Kirby and Zelda demo. Of course, the demo lasted like, what, 5 seconds? So, you know, Nintendo, don't do that. That was kind of a troll move.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Fine by me, but if they want to get in my best graces, it's time to jumpstart the virtual console. There's just so litle in there.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
... Nintendo bringing DEMOS

No Impossible, Nintendo doesn't understands online! [seriously what is the backdraw here, what is the negative point that will kick you in the balls, look you can download demo versions .. like any other service on the planet already offers. WOOOO]

They are not late to the party they never read the invitation! Did they hire someone young and that owns something else but Nintendo Consoles?

Call me a Cynic but they really really don't understand Internet. Or network, or services... wow I can upload my score in this Pokemon game and compare to someone in japan. Yup i can compare my score with 274384-284-28474-312 ... erm?

But sure Demos, Nintendo show the world you are at least able to look past 1990 .. would be nice. I question what limitations the Demos will have, a counter that limit the times you can play them? lacking content? Lacking the ability to save your game [that is how they do it on Xbox Live and PSN]

Nintendo you got a ball now, not the ball, but a ball.. roll with it!

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Downloaded the Resident Evil Revelations demo yesterday and played it, it's looking great! More demos will definately help them get more sales, so do it Nintendo, more demos!