downloadable only games

Dr.Poisonfreak

Apr 6, 2009
do you think its a good idea or would you prefer to see games released on disc with DLC as optional, my argument on this is that if ur xbox or ps3 gets wiped and all your games are download only, you lose your games and your save files

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
if ur xbox or ps3 gets wiped and all your games are download only, you lose your games and your save files
Then the download providers should be able to give you your games back. LIke steam keeps a record of what games your account has.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
No problems if you can save the games onto an external hard drive, or SD card or something, but as you said, I would be pissed if I lost all my games if my console crashed. This is stil something that people might be reluctant to try, because lots of the appeal to buying games is the box art, and instruction manual, and all that other jazz, which actually gives you a feeling of owning something, where digital distribution is rather impersonal.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
if ur xbox or ps3 gets wiped and all your games are download only, you lose your games and your save files
Then the download providers should be able to give you your games back. LIke steam keeps a record of what games your account has.
PSN and Xbox Live both allow you to redownload anything you have already bought....
and even if your system just dies, they are still linked to your account and you can transfer that to another PS3/360

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
PSN and Xbox Live both allow you to redownload anything you have already bought....
and even if your system just dies, they are still linked to your account and you can transfer that to another PS3/360
Then where's his problem, I wonder?

super_smash_jesus said:
No problems if you can save the games onto an external hard drive, or SD card or something, but as you said, I would be pissed if I lost all my games if my console crashed. This is stil something that people might be reluctant to try, because lots of the appeal to buying games is the box art, and instruction manual, and all that other jazz, which actually gives you a feeling of owning something, where digital distribution is rather impersonal.
And you actually own something physical rather than some electricity computery stuff.
When I give money to someone I want a box and a disc thanks.

Dr.Poisonfreak

Apr 6, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:

super_smash_jesus said:
And you actually own something physical rather than some electricity computery stuff.
When I give money to someone I want a box and a disc thanks.
thats my point , i just forgot to type that bit out, the main reason why i prefer cd's to electronic downloads

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Files dont make as nice a collection without a box, tis one of the only reasons i've mostly stayed away from download games

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I hate the idea of download only games, I want to have the boxes and display my proud little geeky collection on my games stand.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
I think it was the loss of save files, and as far as I know you can't transfer them from one 360 to another without a memory card.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
I think it was the loss of save files, and as far as I know you can't transfer them from one 360 to another without a memory card.
Ahh. That's why you want a PC for games, I stick my save files onto a USB stick every month or so for the games I care about.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
Ahh. That's why you want a PC for games, I stick my save files onto a USB stick every month or so for the games I care about.
True, I do the same for my PS2. My external HD also doubles as the World's Largest PS2 Memory Card, at 400gb.

Dr.Poisonfreak

Apr 6, 2009
Clashero said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
True, I do the same for my PS2. My external HD also doubles as the World's Largest PS2 Memory Card, at 400gb.
Win squared

ntomlin63

Mar 19, 2009
I prefer a box as well. I want a disc, an instruction manual that I may or may not read and other neat little things like a map or dossiers on the characters or somesuch. I think if a game is going to be download only they should be a heck of a lot cheaper than they seem to currently be.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
megapenguinx said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
I do the same for the PS3

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dr.Poisonfreak said:
I nod my head in agreement now