Downloading is a human right.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, atleast as far as i understand this.

http://falkvinge.net/2013/02/07/court-of-human-rights-convictions-for-file-sharing-violates-human-rights/

Specifically this sentence;
'This means that people can no longer get convicted for violating the copyright monopoly alone. The court just declared it illegal for any court in Europe to convict somebody for breaking the copyright monopoly law when sharing culture, only on the merits of breaking the law. A court that tries somebody for violating the copyright monopoly must now also show that a conviction is necessary to defend democracy itself in order to convict. This is a considerably higher bar to meet.'

is pure download freedom gold.

So escapist, what you do think about all this? Discuss.

Edit, yes i do know this aint a free for all, as stated in the update of the article, but it is still a giant leap forward.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm sorry, but surely you can find a better source of information on this than a guy who founded something called the "Swedish Pirate Party" and whose Facebook profile picture has him wearing an eyepatch. I clicked his provided sources, and most of them are Wikipedia articles. The most reputible source I found was this, [http://echrblog.blogspot.in/2013/01/copyright-vs-freedom-of-expression.html] which looks a lot more reliable than this fellow. And it's not even that I think he's lying, I think it just feels like getting the pundit's opinion rather than the proper news source.

I've never liked the idea of a "pirate party" people. Yes people should be able to share open-source software and such, but to proudly go around shouting "Hey! Artists don't deserve shit for their work if we can find other methods!" just seems childish to me. Yes the debate on piracy is multi-faceted, and let's not muddle piracy and open-source stuff, but I feel like people who enter the debate as "pro piracy" are not doing anyone any favors. It would be like someone who is pro-choice going in saying they are "pro fetus killing." There are better ways than that to present yourself.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Lilani said:
I've never liked the idea of a "pirate party" people. Yes people should be able to share open-source software and such, but to proudly go around shouting "Hey! Artists don't deserve shit for their work if we can find other methods!" just seems childish to me. Yes the debate on piracy is multi-faceted, and let's not muddle piracy and open-source stuff, but I feel like people who enter the debate as "pro piracy" are not doing anyone any favors. It would be like someone who is pro-choice going in saying they are "pro fetus killing." There are better ways than that to present yourself.
I agree completly

another thing that irks me is "they should do it for free! for the art" <-hey...fuck you! of coarse every artist (should) do it for loce their art..BUT when it comes down to it, its work it requires time, effort, practice and dedication.No one expects you to do your job for free

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Good news... If it isn't fake news anyway. It does seem to be too good to be true.

Anything that helps regular people not get shafted over corporate assholes is A-OK in my book.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Vault101 said:
another thing that irks me is "they should do it for free! for the art" <-hey...fuck you! of coarse every artist (should) do it for loce their art..BUT when it comes down to it, its work it requires time, effort, practice and dedication.No one expects you to do your job for free
Exactly. Lots of artists these days go to school for at least an undergraduate degree in art. It takes time and MONEY to do what they do and make what they make. They provide a service and a product, and like all services and products they deserve money for them.

I think that piracy is inevitable and it will always find a way to happen. However, running around acting like a crusader for it is only going to do more damage. People try to use "Open Source!" and "Internet Freedom!" as shields when defending piracy, but all they're doing is muddling the concepts which gives the politicians who try to do something about piracy even more of a reason to lump them all together and not care how they legislate against them.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Good news... If it isn't fake news anyway. It does seem to be too good to be true.

Anything that helps regular people not get shafted over corporate assholes is A-OK in my book.
instead the artists can get shafted by regular people!

GM.Casper

Sep 4, 2009
ShinyCharizard said:
Well that's cool and all but people still deserve to be paid for their work.
There is plenty of other ways to get paid. Like donations. Or collecting the money first, Kickstarter style. And there is probably other possible schemes too.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
GM.Casper said:
ShinyCharizard said:
There is plenty of other ways to get paid. Like donations. Or collecting the money first, Kickstarter style. And there is probably other possible schemes too.
Donations will not fund gaming. What is wrong with just buying the game straight up?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
GM.Casper said:
ShinyCharizard said:

The internet, destroying the most basic principle of humans and economics, day by day

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
GM.Casper said:
ShinyCharizard said:
You know while I'm sure that money is an issue for some people, to me the biggest issue is that the illegal versions are in many cases infinitely superior products.

I do agree with supporting the artists (yeah even those guys whose income exceeds my own by millions)though and also live in hope purchasing products will allow the continued production of my favorite media and that financial support will give producers the freedom to create more innovative products (too optimistic?).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"yay"

As per standard, I'm not actually thrilled by this news. I don't understand why everyone's so happy that they are now allowed to take stuff they haven't payed for. Clearly, you've never tried to sell software.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Vault101 said:
Genocidicles said:

instead the artists can get shafted by regular people!
Welcome to the Martyr's Market.
Better hope the next generation is less selfish and more merciful than the last (or mine).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
Donations will not fund gaming. What is wrong with just buying the game straight up?
....[i/]pay?[/i]

PAY? for ....[b/]things?[/b]

[img/]http://www.aaron-powell.com/get/memes/what-is-this-i-dont-even-spiderman.jpg[/img]

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Are the developers and artists getting the money the deserve, pirates? If not, throw some money at them. They'll be happy if you guys do it for the things you love.

I'm honestly baffled at what makes people pirate. Just pay for it if you like it, seriously. People could have avoided this if this happened instead of pirates sticking a middle finger at one party and forgetting the other parties affected.

The reason I jumped straight to piracy is that this just gave pirates some immunity. Pirating is not stealing, I get that. I don't get what's the issue with paying SOME amount of money to support what they love. Why are they letting the very things that they love not getting the money they deserve?

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Piracy = stealing.

That's all there is to it. Don't care what a law says, if you take a product (or a copy of a product as the case may be with digital products) you are stealing and depriving the creator their hard earned profits.

I really don't get why people defend piracy. They are essentially defending theft, and are being smug self-righteous assholes at the same time.

Piracy DOES NOT help ANY industry. Just like breaking into a store and taking everything for free doesn't help. It actively harms the content creators.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
GM.Casper said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Donations? really?
'Dance, dance you monkey and if I feel like it I will throw you some coins.

And the lead time/ inherent risk in the kick starter model means that people will retreat further and further into their 'safe' genres and artists. I mean, most people are happy to pay for something different now, but less happy to pay for the potential to have something different later.

Seriously, where do you work that you would be happy living on donations?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Valkrex said:
Piracy = stealing.

That's all there is to it. Don't care what a law says, if you take a product (or a copy of a product as the case may be with digital products) you are stealing and depriving the creator their hard earned profits.

I really don't get why people defend piracy. They are essentially defending theft, and are being smug self-righteous assholes at the same time.

Piracy DOES NOT help ANY industry. Just like breaking into a store and taking everything for free doesn't help. It actively harms the content creators.
It doesn't help any industry because the industries refuse to change with the times.

They need a new business model.