Dr Who: Into the Dalek

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Thats episode 2 done. After last week?s busy and action-filled arrival of Capaldi, this episode was more of a slow burn and it gave a better chance to see this the new Doctor. Indeed, up until the invasion of the bad Daleks, it was quite a wordy affair, with the Doctor giving long explanations of his plan. It showed that, despite the advance in years, this regenerated Time Lord is sprightly in body and mind and building some charisma . However, his habit of suddenly stopping in mid flow does sometimes give the impression that this is a Time Lord with early onset memory problems. An idea completed with Clara's gag ?I?m his carer.?

At my count this episode marked the 4th actor to have appeared in Spaced and Dr Who.

Theme song for this episode

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
albino boo said:
At my count this episode marked the 4th actor to have appeared in Spaced and Dr Who.
It's going to happen, I can feel it .... Nick Frost as the next Doctor.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sea Sponge said:
albino boo said:
It's going to happen, I can feel it .... Nick Frost as the next Doctor.
Hmm I'm going to have to start a new internet and Dr Who tribalism. Evil betrayer of the true faith of spaced, its clearly Mark Heap who is the next Dr.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That was a very good episode. Second episode and another callback to another Doctor. First episode referred to a Tenant episode, this one was a great callback to Christopher Eccleston's first Dalek episode.

What a grim ending. It's finally come full circle for the Doctor. The Daleks said that 9th Doctor would be a good Dalek, and now the 12th doctor is finally a Dalek.

"You would make a good Dalek."

"You are a good Dalek."

I'm liking the dark turn this doctor is taking. First there is the ambiguous death of Robot Man, and now his utter hatred sabotaged his attempts to do good.

And who the hell is lady in Heaven?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
And another Game of Thrones actor says 2 lines then is quickly dispatched. What does Doctor Who have against this show? Also, what happens when the Doctor meets Mr. Pink, a soldier guilt-ridden over a friendly fire incident? I think the lady in heaven is another timelord, or something similarly as old. She seems to be gathering companions in much the same way that Tennant did - starts innocently enough until they all figure out what they have in common, then she'll have an army. Or she could be an evil fish lady looking to feed all these new people to her children. The way she clops her teeth together tells me there's a bestial nature behind that smile.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
They took a really really dumb idea and turned it into something shockingly good. There were a few moments that reminded us how dumb it was but overall it was very good. I called bullshit on this darker doctor idea, especially after last weeks dark doctor moments were barely shown, but they actually are doing a good job of making him darker while still kid friendly to see.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I actually really enjoyed that episode. It was far more focussed than the previous one, the Doctor and Clara both got some fleshing out, and the journey to the centre of a dalek plotline was actually surprisingly well written. It did strike me as odd that a character who'd barely talked the whole time ended up pulling the whole heroic sacrifice routine, but apart from her the characters made sense, which is unusual in recent Who.

Also, Pegg for next Doctor, Nick Frost can be the companion :D

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I always enjoy the episodes that put us in the future with starship trooper looking guys running around and spaceships. Combine that with Daleks and I am very happy.

I still got to get used to this new doctor though, I know I will eventually just like when David Tennant left but I miss Matt. :(
I like this episode though, it sort of holds The Doctor accountable for all the Daleks he has killed, we have seen him try to commit genocide on them over and over and I think thats why he was so resistant to the idea of a good Dalek, if Daleks can be something other than evil what does that make The Doctor when hes tried time and again to annihilate their race? We see the burning hatred he has when the dalek looks into his mind and sees all of his hatred, and that hatred is justified to the doctor as long as the daleks stay evil so....Yeah I can understand his reservations.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Not quite sure why, at any point between "the Dalek is evil again" and "we can make it good again", no one thought "let's open the leak we just repaired that kept the Dalek docile". Probably would've saved them quite a bit of trouble. Other than that, I enjoyed it. Still confused about the whole "Heaven" thing and interested to see where they go with it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@Fieldy409:
I think you're forgetting that The Doctor helped MAKE THE DALEKS!

He, basically, GAVE THEM time travel.
He, helped, with their CREATION.

If anything I'd like to think this Doctor finally GETS IT.
The burden for so much death and misery is party on him.

He's practically the Mother of Daleks.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'm honestly getting sick of the Daleks, they're in episodes far to often, and Moffet is getting worst with character pieces.

I was disappointed, and I blame Moffet and his writing style for it.

small

Aug 5, 2014
the series is slowly loosing me. this doctor seems to of swallowed the same asshole pill that colin bakers doctor took.

also hes turned into a boring old fart who is quite willing to let people die and make jokes about it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
yankeefan19 said:
Not quite sure why, at any point between "the Dalek is evil again" and "we can make it good again", no one thought "let's open the leak we just repaired that kept the Dalek docile". Probably would've saved them quite a bit of trouble.
Yeah...also annoying that the Daleks kept saying "Seek Locate Destroy" when the people they were seeking and locating were 2M in front of them and shooting at them.

And, Christ, enough with that Heaven arc-plot bullshit.

Though, this week's had a story, not just throwing random stuff at the screen and hoping people like it. The bits with Pink were pointless, though.

Encurtidos

May 1, 2011
Its seems that the 'heaven' bit is where the people that volunteer to die for the doctor go. Perhaps drawing back to Tennants rally with Davros asking Tennant how many people die?
And Tennant realizes he manipulates people into taking their own lives. All in all, this new doctor seems to be a darker older version of Tennant.