Dr.Who

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Criplecrab said:
I can't remember what season or episode but you want to start with the first David Tennant episode. Its a christmas special so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
You realize you're skipping an entire season of Christopher Ecccleston? He's the reason the series got rebooted in the first place and has crucial intros such as Rose and Jack and hell F***ING Daleks.

lobster1077 said:
I saw my first episode of Dr.who last week. The Killing of Hitler I think it was, it was quite excellent. I'm am interested in seeing more of the series. What episode or season of the show is a good starting point?
Start with the reboot with Christopher Eccleston, the first episode wasn't great but everything after that is awesome. You'll learn the times they use CGI for monsters are gonna be moderate but they REALLY shine when the monsters and etc are real props/costumes.

Also, it's "Doctor Who" not "Dr. Who". It might seem small but trust me, his name isn't "Who".

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
"The Time Warrior" from the Jon Pertwee era is a great place to start. It's a historical, which is rather uncommon in Dr. Who after William Hartnell and it is the debut of Sarah Jane Smith the longest running companion character ever (even without counting her two spinoff series).

Edit: I just got be that guy and voice the opinion that starting with any modern (Christoper Eccleston and up) iteration of the Doctor makes you a philistine. Go back to the Tom Baker era at least and you will get allot more out of viewing the show.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
thebobmaster said:
I'm a bit of an optimist, so I'd say he is finally learning. Remember his reaction with the TARDIS interface in "Let's Kill Hitler." As for what he saw...my guess is the same as yours. After all, he is the person he hates the most (see: "Amy's Choice"). Maybe he is the person he fears the most.

As for the topic at hand, I'd recommend starting with Rose, the very first reboot episode. That's where I started, and I regret nothing.
the minotuar didn't feed on fear, it fed on faith. So what does the doctor believe in?

OT I liked the 9th doctor, he's hellva lot better than matt in my opinion. Kinda glad they are giving Amy a rest, loved the original episode with Craig.

Dantness

Apr 11, 2011
I'd say start at the beginning, as that would be ideal. But David Tennant is a good place to start. So maybe just skipping the first season? It's my favorite series, so I highly recommend continuing your discovery.

Nov 28, 2007
rekabdarb said:
thebobmaster said:
I'm a bit of an optimist, so I'd say he is finally learning. Remember his reaction with the TARDIS interface in "Let's Kill Hitler." As for what he saw...my guess is the same as yours. After all, he is the person he hates the most (see: "Amy's Choice"). Maybe he is the person he fears the most.

As for the topic at hand, I'd recommend starting with Rose, the very first reboot episode. That's where I started, and I regret nothing.
the minotuar didn't feed on fear, it fed on faith. So what does the doctor believe in?

OT I liked the 9th doctor, he's hellva lot better than matt in my opinion. Kinda glad they are giving Amy a rest, loved the original episode with Craig.
Ah, but that faith was generated by forcing the people to turn to whatever they believed in in their fear, which is why Rory only found emergency exits. He had nothing to be afraid of, and therefore, nothing to require him to turn to faith.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I started with the Matt Smith episodes, which is Series 5 of the new series I believe. I live in the U.S. and have been trying to get up at 11:00 A.M. (On BBC America, Central Time) to watch the David Tennant episodes but I haven't been able to get myself up at that time (I have problems sleeping at night), the show's on in the afternoon as well, but I have other shows on at that time. Might check out Torchwood on Friday's. Can any Torchwood fans tell me if the show is hard to follow random episode by episode? I only ask because I know Doctor Who is largely episodic and the BBC America reruns are on Friday's and Saturday's (Can't make the Saturday episodes and I missed the first two episodes last week.).

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
OP, the only acceptable answer is "Rose". It's the first episode of the revival, and if you start anywhere else you're not going to have an appreciation for the differences between Doctors. Also, you're going to feel lost when numerous reoccurring enemies show up and everyone acts like they've known them forever.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
riverand said:
Shadu said:
riverand said:
I started (this summer) with the reboot of Doctor Who started by Richard T Davies with an episode called "Rose."
It's Russell T. Davies, by the way.

I agree that Rose is a great place to start. It's where I started. I highly recommend starting there.
HA HA!! Did I write Richard?? What a nut!! :p

Thank you for fixing that!
Haha, Richard, Russell. What's in a name, right? Ha, but no worries. I wasn't sure if you knew or just had a brain fart. I figured I'd mention it either way. ;P

Edit:
chaosyoshimage said:
Can any Torchwood fans tell me if the show is hard to follow random episode by episode?
Sort of. The first two series, pretty much until the last two episodes of each season. Children of the Earth (series 3, technically, and five parts), absolutely not. Miracle Day (series 4, done on Starz, 10 episodes total) is also a no. But the first two seasons are rather episodic, and are very much "alien of the week."

So, no, it's not hard to follow if you just catch random episodes as long as you stick to the first two seasons.