Dragon Age Comic Delayed to April

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dragon Age Comic Delayed to April

The Dragon Age comic [http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/960/] series originally scheduled to launch next month has been pushed back to April, while the second issue in the series won't hit shelves until June.

Announced in Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97077-Dragon-Age-Comic-Book-Hits-Stores-in-March], but will instead focus on the powerful Circle of Magi, which unwittingly unleashed the Darkspawn on the world centuries ago. "Now magic is carefully controlled, taught behind the sacred walls of the Circle of Magi, and monitored by the ever-vigilant Templars," publisher IDW said in the original announcement of the series. "It is in this arena that a new generation of Mages in training will arise, warriors of sorcery who will defy the rules of the Templars and change the course of the world forever."

Sounds ominous! Unfortunately, Dragon Age fans are going to have to wait a little longer than they thought to find out what's in store for the world of Thedas; IDW now says the debut issue won't be coming out until April, while the follow-up is scheduled for a June release. Also interesting is the fact that, according to Big Download [http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/02/22/dragon-age-comic-book-launch-delayed-to-april/], best-selling author Orson Scott Card is still "expected" to co-write the series along with Aaron Johnston.

And now, here's a little insight from someone who used to buy a lot of comics. When the first issue of a new series gets pushed back a month and the publisher admits that it'll take another two months to come up with the second issue, things are not going well. Add to that the fact that Card, best known for the Ender's Game [http://www.amazon.com/Enders-Game-Ender-Book-1/dp/0812550706/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279312196&sr=1-1] series of books, is now "expected" to write the series and it's probably fair to say that the Dragon Age comics may be in for a very rocky ride.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The only Dragon Age comic I care about was the Penny Arcade ones.

Bioware had them do some as a promotion.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I would get this, but I don't like buying stuff that gives to Orson Scott Card and his homophobic groups.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Doug said:
I would get this, but I don't like buying stuff that gives to Orson Scott Card and his homophobic groups.
I've got no experience of him, but I've heard a lot about his... views. And the "irony" is that BioWare games tend to allow homosexual relationships and are noted for it.

However, this comic series could be good so hopefully I'll be able to get it in good ol' Blighty.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
coldalarm said:
Doug said:
I've got no experience of him, but I've heard a lot about his... views. And the "irony" is that BioWare games tend to allow homosexual relationships and are noted for it.

However, this comic series could be good so hopefully I'll be able to get it in good ol' Blighty.
Well, I've heard his views and seen that TV ad he appeared in on YouTube, and he's pretty clear were he stands.

And yes, it is rather bizzare - Dragon Age features bisexual characters and the second novel
had at least one couple who turned out to be gay.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
TraumaHound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yeah, Gabe's (Mike Krahulik) art works really well here, I'd love to read a full DA comic (even just a one-shot) with his art in it.

The original comic: http://dragonage.bioware.com/pennyarcade/

The new comic (still in development): http://dragonage.bioware.com/awakening/comic/
That...was...awesome!

I always wondered if Gabe and Tyco, already knew some of the game spoilers before hand, because the witch of the wilds comic seems....dark.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Really? Gotta look these up!

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Doug said:
coldalarm said:
Doug said:

Well, I've heard his views and seen that TV ad he appeared in on YouTube, and he's pretty clear were he stands.

And yes, it is rather bizzare - Dragon Age features bisexual characters and the second novel had at least one couple who turned out to be gay.
I've not read the second novel yet! D:

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
coldalarm said:
Doug said:
coldalarm said:
Doug said:

And yes, it is rather bizzare - Dragon Age features bisexual characters and the second novel
had at least one couple who turned out to be gay.
I've not read the second novel yet! D:
Erm...*Forget**forget*forget* to be fair, I didn't even think about it til it happened.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Doug said:
Erm...*Forget**forget*forget* to be fair, I didn't even think about it til it happened.
No problem :) I've almost finished the first novel and I'm really enjoying it.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Is it only me that find it extremely ironic that they picked him, of all people, to do the Dragon Age comic?

A very, very strange choice.

Edit: Okey, someone pointed it out. And no, I won't buy it. Shame really.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
coldalarm said:
Doug said:
No problem :) I've almost finished the first novel and I'm really enjoying it.
Indeedie! I was very impressed with both novels, and the game itself. Of course, its Bioware, so I should have really expected good writing :)

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
Might want to issue a correction, Andy.

From the BioWare BioFeed:

biofeed: Despite the incorrect rumor, the IDW Dragon Age comic book is NOT delayed. Look for it in March at fine comic book retailers near you.

http://twitter.com/biofeed