Dragon Age Inquisition Banned in India due to Portrayal of Homosexuality

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Mezahmay said:
Huh. I thought India had a much more diverse gender identity structure than the largely binary structure in the West. While that doesn't prevent them from having negative perceptions of homosexual behavior, it strikes me as inconsistent from a Western perspective.

*looks into the issue for a moment*

Huh. So they do recognize a third gender for crossdressers and transgender folks who don't identify with their gender assigned at birth, yet homosexuality is still a crime. Progress is funny sometimes.
This was exactly what is was thinking, i never exactly figured India to be particularly progressive or anything, but I was surprised to learn they were so hung up on this type of thing.

Aaron Sylvester said:
That's the least of India's problems.

Most of the country is still living below the poverty line and is traditionally backwards, running on caste systems [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India], status, etc. The government and politics are immensely corrupted no matter which state you're in. Mindsets often revolve around religion and/or superstition.

The country has a BILLION problems and I honestly don't see it ending well on the path that it's going, the population spiralling out of control and issues relentlessly getting worse. Pretty much one look at any city will show that everyone only cares about living for today and/or going overseas the moment they have the opportunity.

Gay acceptance is a far-off distant thing, the country first has to take baby steps towards whatever little progress it can manage.
It may be one of the lest of their problems, but homosexuality itself isn't exactly a big problem either. You would think for a country with such severe overpopulation problems they would be a little less worried by groups of people whose sexual activities aren't going to result in procreation.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, seeing as the cast system still unofficially exists, gang rape reports are often hushed up, and child prostitution still exists freely on the streets, this isn't exactly a surprise. The nation is getting better, but you're fighting thousands of years of culture. We haven't even won that battle over here. It's going to take time.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
small said:
ironically this is a side effect still being felt from the days of colonial rule where it was made illegal
Yes, clearly it was the evil British that caused all of the problems. It's not like they were ruled by Muslims before the British came that are know for their 'tolerance' of homosexuality.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Sounds like the Indian government was looking out for their countries best interest....said no one ever.

Have they allowed previous Bioware RPG's? I'm assuming they simply choose to pick on this game arbitrarily while allowing things like Mass Effect or even Dragon Age Origins into the country.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
albino boo said:
small said:
ironically this is a side effect still being felt from the days of colonial rule where it was made illegal
Err try reading some history. Before the British took over the majority of the country was ruled by the mughal empire. The rulers of which were muslim, initially they were liberal, but emperor Aurangzeb imposed Sharia law in the 1660s.
It's colonial era laws that get used to enforce it, but I find it funny how this is the same chunk of land that produced the Karma Sutra.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hazzard said:
albino boo said:
small said:
Err try reading some history. Before the British took over the majority of the country was ruled by the mughal empire. The rulers of which were muslim, initially they were liberal, but emperor Aurangzeb imposed Sharia law in the 1660s.
It's colonial era laws that get used to enforce it, but I find it funny how this is the same chunk of land that produced the Karma Sutra.
You are factually incorrect, how can colonial era law enforce sharia law when the British had no colonies in India 1660? During the period of rule of the East India company the British did not change the law that governed the mughal empire. The East India company power came from the fact it was a feudatory of the Mughal empire. The emperor was still officially in charge. Please try to know some history before posting.

Westonbirt

Nov 7, 2013
Mezahmay said:
Huh. I thought India had a much more diverse gender identity structure than the largely binary structure in the West. While that doesn't prevent them from having negative perceptions of homosexual behavior, it strikes me as inconsistent from a Western perspective.

*looks into the issue for a moment*

Huh. So they do recognize a third gender for crossdressers and transgender folks who don't identify with their gender assigned at birth, yet homosexuality is still a crime. Progress is funny sometimes.
People make the error of looking at issues with a strictly western POV, adding or subtracting "progressiveness points" on a spreadsheet and then making a little conditional format thing.

This part of Asia has a history of accepting a certain type of MTF transgenderism (and BTW Pakistan too). This doesn't mean they are accepting of homosexuality or more broad gender identity concept dear to western social justice, it is a specific cultural happenstance. India is still, like the former USSR or China, very much conservative and puritan ; it's just that what they want to conserve is not exactly the same.

It also helps not to conflate all the ideologies that are or have been present at any point in India's history or the relative liberalism that large city centres can project due to their storied and inherent cosmopolitan tolerance.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I'm talking ab
albino boo said:
Hazzard said:
albino boo said:
small said:
You are factually incorrect, how can colonial era law enforce sharia law when the British had no colonies in India 1660? During the period of rule of the East India company the British did not change the law that governed the mughal empire. The East India company power came from the fact it was a feudatory of the Mughal empire. The emperor was still officially in charge. Please try to know some history before posting.
I'm talking about laws like Section 377, law may not be the right word, but I'm splitting hairs here.
It was implemented under British Rule and it's rules like that which are used to justify punishment of Indian Homosexuals.

With proper control over India and the end of the Mughals new laws would have been put in place. I never said it was Sharia law that was punishing homosexuals. Stop making it out to be Islam that dominates India, Sharia law is not used in India, instead they have the Muslim Personal Law.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hazzard said:
I'm talking about laws like Section 377, law may not be the right word, but I'm splitting hairs here.
It was implemented under British Rule and it's rules like that which are used to justify punishment of Indian Homosexuals.

With proper control over India and the end of the Mughals new laws would have been put in place. I never said it was Sharia law that was punishing homosexuals. Stop making it out to be Islam that dominates India, Sharia law is not used in India, instead they have the Muslim Personal Law.
Try knowing some dates. Sharia law was introduced in 1660s by the Emperor Aurangzeb https://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/History/Mughals/Aurang2.html 90 years later the Bristh where granted a firman as a fudetory of the Mugahl empire. The East India company expanded is influence, however is remained within the framework of mughal law. It was not until 1858 after the Indian mutiny that direct rule was established over the most of the territory of the mughal empire. 100 years AFTER the first British colony.

Here is a map of the Mughal Empire as you can see it dominated India

Again please try to know some history before posting.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I don't think I'm being clear, I'm saying that Section 377 enforces homophobia now, I'm not saying it enforces Sharia Law.

More on topic, Indian politicians seem to be afraid of anything outside of heterosexuality when it comes to sex.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
It's always depressing when you hear about bannings or alterations to games in the name of protecting people from some vague sort of moral corruption.

[insert overused Benjamin Franklin quote]

RICHIERICAN

Sep 18, 2014
JMeganSnow said:
Oh, if you're inclined to do something positive about it, I encourage anyone with an Indian friend who is interested in this game to give them a hand in finding some way to obtain it anyway.
Can you please give a link to this news??

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Pr0 said:
Perhaps if DA:I had rape content as part of its design, India would have been okay with that.

Please don't flame me before you look up information in regards to rape culture in India. Thank you.
Well Origins did have rape in it, so maybe you're on to something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mezahmay said:
There are a few Middle Eastern countries which are similar, that recognise at least some level of transgender identity but for which the penalties for homosexuality are harsh. I remember the old standards for transsexual care actually recognise this as thing. Which baffles me, but hey.

Pr0 said:
Perhaps if DA:I had rape content as part of its design, India would have been okay with that.

Please don't flame me before you look up information in regards to rape culture in India. Thank you.
Crap. Now the MRAs are gonna come knocking.

Laggyteabag said:
I never understood banning games with this kinda content, because in my experience with BioWare games, you will hear maybe one or two lines of dialogue about a character's sexuality, and that will be it unless you choose to pursue it. It's not even like you can accidentally end up being gay in the game, but of course, this is one of those backwards ideas that that any content that portrays someone as being gay in a good light will end up turning some perfectly straight people or children, and my god think of the children!
Hey, it's a gateway. I played/read one of those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books when I was a kid, and the wrong gender was the protagonist, and now look at me.

RICHIERICAN

Sep 18, 2014
This the only link I can find on this : http://www.hardwarebbq.com/dragon-age-inquisition-available-india-due-breach-local-content-laws/

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
If true, maybe this will at least serve as a reminder as to what censorship actually means in the real world, compared to what so many people think it means.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hazzard said:
I don't think I'm being clear, I'm saying that Section 377 enforces homophobia now, I'm not saying it enforces Sharia Law.

More on topic, Indian politicians seem to be afraid of anything outside of heterosexuality when it comes to sex.
This was the original quote
This statement is factually incorrect because as I have demonstrated sharia law was enforced long before British rule, further more India has been independent for 60 years and entirely free to set its own laws. The British have nothing to do with it.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
JMeganSnow said:
Oh, if you're inclined to do something positive about it, I encourage anyone with an Indian friend who is interested in this game to give them a hand in finding some way to obtain it anyway.
Er, while I appreciate the intent behind this suggestion, I suspect that exhorting this site's users to enable Indian nationals to break the laws of their country will be frowned upon.