Dragon Age Inquisition brought to you by the producers of Skyrim

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuR1Fn_b48

New video showing the world of Inquisition is out. I'm getting Deja Vu. Yes it's back to the very first Skyrim trailer! Forest shot...water fall shot...ominious dark place shot...misty statue shot!

Seriously the game looks pretty and I'm hoping it's like Origins but right now it's looking A LOT like Skyrim in the terms of the environment design.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I think Bioware said in several interviews and dev diaries that they were trying to make the world as Skyrimy as possible. I just hope a true open-world game works for Bioware and doesn't end up biting them in the ass.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Elfgore said:
I think Bioware said in several interviews and dev diaries that they were trying to make the world as Skyrimy as possible. I just hope a true open-world game works for Bioware and doesn't end up biting them in the ass.
I could be wrong, but I feel like I read a couple of devs on the BSN saying (they revamped the forums, so I can't find any of the old threads now) that it's not a true open-world game, but that it's just that the locations are larger and have more detail.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
LOL I thought the thread title was cranky but it's an understatement if anything.

Just go ahead and wear your influences on your sleeve, Bioware, your shameless bastards.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Aping Skyrim isn't going to make them a game as popular as Skyrim. What it will get is flak. Nothing in this trailer jumped out as being exceptional. It actually looks like a trailer for a generic fantasy MMO.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah I saw it too but to be honest I don't really care.
I just want the game to be fun.
And, hey, Skyrim was fun.
Plus it's better than the desaturated brownfest it used to be.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
God, I hate videos like that ... bunch of cinematic in game rendered crap that lasts about 2 minutes. I have learned nothing from that video and I am not more hyped for the game, it might as well have just been a banner ad reminding me that a third dragon age would be out in a few months.

Show me the combat or explore and area for 2 minutes instead and let me get a feel what the game is like, I don't want to be buying DA2 again!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well let's just hope it has better combat than Skyrim.
Honestly it hasn't done much to convince me to buy the game at sale or whatever. I'll probably still just end up waiting until it goes down a little in price.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Ugh...

I've never been too big on WRPGs, but I fell in love with Dragon Age: Origins.

I was heartbroken when I saw what happened to Dragon Age II.
I was mortified when I saw everyone eat up Skyrim.

Skyrim is a mediocre (at best) game with buggy and broken gameplay, wrapped in lies from Bethesda pre-release. And guess what! Everyone (not including me) went out and made it one of the most successful RPGs of all time. The first thing people do when they see something successful is try to copy it, so we are hitting the first wave of new RPGs where Skyrim's influence in unmistakable.

I'm not holding my breath on Inquisition. I'd love to be wring about what I think it will be, but Bioware's recent track record speaks for itself.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Raikas said:
Elfgore said:
I could be wrong, but I feel like I read a couple of devs on the BSN saying (they revamped the forums, so I can't find any of the old threads now) that it's not a true open-world game, but that it's just that the locations are larger and have more detail.
I'm guessing you'll travel to different "zones" from Tevinter to Orlais to Orzammer to the mountain and forest areas seen to complete quests to gain a factions loyalty.

So Orzammer would be the Dwarven quests.
Forest area might be the elves quest.
City area would be the Orlais quests.

But instead of small linear "zones" like in Origins they'd be more big and open world realms comparable to maybe one of the "zones" in Skyrim but interconnected by a world map rather than walking from then, to add a sense of scale and travelling around Thedas.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
Raikas said:
Elfgore said:
Yeah they "revamped" the forums to hope people get amnesia and trust them again. LOL!!! They can talk all they want. They won't burn me with preorder regret. I'll want to see what the gaming community says and streams of the game before I consider buying it.

alphamalet said:
...I'm not holding my breath on Inquisition. I'd love to be wring about what I think it will be, but Bioware's recent track record speaks for itself.
Preach it brotha!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Delightful! I loved Skyrim's enviromental design. Hell, the general art direction as a whole was marvellous.

Of course, I do hope that DAI finds and keeps its own personal spirit at the end of the day. I love Skyrim, but I've already got that, thank you very much. Do your own thing, Dragon Age.

Azwrath

Feb 23, 2012
First, after seeing everyone agreed, i thought, great, another game set in some viking land. Then i looked at the trailer. And to my surprise the only thing it has in common with Skyrim are the nice graphics and a few shots of mountains and snow. And even those don't look that "skyrimy".

Seriously, look at the video again, pause it and then check out random shots. Besides the overall graphical techniques used, there is nothing that looks like skyrim.

The only difference between this and the older Dragon Age is that the zones seem more open and that awesome huge troll thing. It's pretty much how i imagined Orlais in the other 2, a temperate region with a bit more spark and color then Ferelden.

Wait! Ok, i admit, i was wrong. After looking at the trailer for the 5th time i noticed the dragon at the end. Oh my god! How could they copy so much from Skyrim...

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
To me its going back more to what they had with Origins then Skyrim, for Skyrim is one giant sandbox, but Inquisition sounds like it will be a bunch of smaller zones that aren't corridors which is what I thought of Origins.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Hell yeah! Gief!

Also, Inquisition will have seperated open world zones, so no, not like Skyrim. Think DA:O but with the ability to go anywhere in a huge zone instead of following a single road.

Besides combat will be the tactical type, not like TES at all, and BioWare needn't really try hard to outdo Skyrim's story.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I actually hope it's more like DA2 except, you know, less shit.

God was it shit, yet somehow weirdly interesting.

I guess it could be a little like DA:O as well except, you know, less dull.

God was it boring, yet somehow weirdly engaging.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Fdzzaigl said:
Besides combat will be the tactical type, not like TES at all, and BioWare needn't really try hard to outdo Skyrim's story.
True, but considering recent history can BioWare out do even Skyrim's story?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Grimh said:
I learned to appreciate it more the second time around, by playing as someone who just doesn't give the slightest fuck about anything or anyone around him. Invested, I was not.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Looks brilliant! I also think I saw Bianca in one shot there, hooray for that.

I've pre ordered this game, DA2 was a disappointment but I still liked it.