Dragon Age: Inquisition Crashing on PS4, Sony Releasing Patch

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
It's Sony that's messed up with update 2.00, not Bioware as far as I can tell, but bioware is the one getting all the blame.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Are we surprised that there are bugs in a beta? Really? Do you not understand the concept of beta?
Apparently a lot better than you do - this isn't a beta, it's simply copies of the finished game that reviewers get access to slightly earlier. And even if that weren't the case, the problem is with the PS4 OS, not the game which is why it's the former that is getting fixed.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Little Gray said:
Lightknight said:
"a number"? Sure, there were a few games that had bugs but it wasn't common to launch a broken game.

The vast sea of a majority of titles worked and still work. No problem. Companies were actually motivated to put out working titles because of that threat.

Now it's barely a threat unless it poses a significant danger to reviews. It isn't that they can't patch it up, it's that they aren't motivated to do so.

I understand that games like Skrim/Oblivion/Morrowind are basically works in progress meant to serve as basically a development engine for modders and everything. But at least their community delivers and only on the PC where I was always able to patch their games.
While it may not have been common to launch a broken game it was also no more uncommon then it is now. The PC especially had a lot of extremely broken games. Bethesda especially has always released extremely broken games. Fallout 1 & 2 were barely even playable on release and had to have hundreds of bugs patched by fans and not developers. The only difference now is that they actually patch them.
Do you have some numbers to back up your claim rather than anecdotal stuff? From what I've seen I almost never played a single broken game on a console. I think there was one final fantasy game on the gameboy that had an issue and that was about it.

The PC appears to have always had that problem so if you were PC only then I'd understand.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Fixing the problem before it gets released to consumers? Wow, that reminds me of my childhood when there was no other option.
Eh, to be fair, you can't forsee every issue a game design might have in the market. So it had a bug, nothing's perfect. At least they are quickly responding to the problem and fixing it. The fact that it seems to be a PS4 exclusive problem suggests that it was some unforseen issue with the platform architecture, that slipped through during testing. Which is always possible. I'm just glad to hear they're fixing it quickly.

Lightknight said:
Little Gray said:
Lightknight said:
Do you have some numbers to back up your claim rather than anecdotal stuff? From what I've seen I almost never played a single broken game on a console.

The PC appears to have always had that problem so if you were PC only then I'd understand.
To be fair, what you just said in bold was as much an anecdotal statement as his claim above. xD

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:
Fixing the problem before it gets released to consumers? Wow, that reminds me of my childhood when there was no other option.
Eh, to be fair, you can't forsee every issue a game design might have in the market. So it had a bug, nothing's perfect. At least they are quickly responding to the problem and fixing it. The fact that it seems to be a PS4 exclusive problem suggests that it was some unforseen issue with the platform architecture, that slipped through during testing. Which is always possible. I'm just glad to hear they're fixing it quickly.
Look, I've worked for years as a software QA engineer. You can't foresee every itsy bitsy low priority bug, sure. But if you can't foresee P1 and P0 issues then you're (royal "you" here) shit as QA. Garbage, in fact.

They test the game, write down the bugs, and the project manager determines the severity of the bugs. Every week or however long they come back to the table and review which bugs have been fixed, which bugs have been introduced/reintroduced as a result of the fixes, and which bugs are still outstanding.

The project manager then decides based on the established timeline whether or not the severity of the outstanding bugs warrants pushing back the launch date.

If they weren't aware of a p1 or p0 issue then there was a tremendous flaw in their QA process. If they were aware then they packaged the game knowing full well that the issue needed to be fixed before launch.

Lightknight said:
Little Gray said:
Lightknight said:
Do you have some numbers to back up your claim rather than anecdotal stuff? From what I've seen I almost never played a single broken game on a console.

To be fair, what you just said in bold was as much an anecdotal statement as his claim above. xD
Sure, I was showing the relative nature of your anecdotal evidence by showing a contrary one.

The widespread belief is that games largely released working before there was no such thing as patching. Now patching broken games is practically standard.

So the burden of proof is on you to dispel the popularly held belief.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Dominic Crossman said:
It's Sony that's messed up with update 2.00, not Bioware as far as I can tell, but bioware is the one getting all the blame.
That is how I am understanding the article as well, there wasn't the problems with the PS4 version until Sony released patch 2.0. To me that means Sony screwed up by releasing faulty software. So "back in the day" there is a very good chance this wouldn't have happened because the version of the game BioWare would have made would not have to worry about a console developer releasing a broken patch to their console which has caused multiple reported issues.

I am expecting the patch to be mostly a system update and not a patch for the game itself.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Sure, I was showing the relative nature of your anecdotal evidence by showing a contrary one.

The widespread belief is that games largely released working before there was no such thing as patching. Now patching broken games is practically standard.

So the burden of proof is on you to dispel the popularly held belief.
It wasn't my anecdotal evidence, it was the other posters, hence my use of the pronoun his not mine. I think that might be a slipup during my quote trimming if it appeared to be by the other poster.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Hope it will be fixed by launch but i think i'll delay ordering this anyway, pending results. Still and all the game looks good and worth waiting for.