Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Aims to Fix Shoddy PC Controls

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Waiting...on it...to be pushed.

I still haven't really gotten into the game because of issues with performance/controls, so this is sorely needed for me. >.<

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Next patch maybe they can fix the tactics for companions and might consider buying this.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Somethingfake said:
I'd really like it if they fixed a game *before* releasing it. You know, just to shake shit up. For once.
Bioware, or the WHOLE DAMN INDUSTRY... because they're a drop in the bucket at this point.

Right now, games launching FINISHED are the exceptions rather than the rule. Probably the last company that really does it is Nintendo, because they have this crazy idea that they should release a game when it's ready and complete.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Stability's a priority, sure, but the only thing that's going to make a major difference for me is the addition of auto-attack - at least in the crappy 'tactical' cam. If it's never added, the combat will still be a complete hassle.

Actually putting Tactics back in to the game would be nice, too, but I don't know how feasible that is.

...also letting 360 players actually install the play disc should've been a given, but clearly they let the tea boy and cleaners work on that version, so I'm not exactly confidant of that changing.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
BioWare Forum Post said:
Priority 2 ? Features and content

As massive as Dragon Age: Inquisition already is, there were some things the team wanted to get in at launch, but we just ran out of time. We?ll be creating these new features and content and adding them into your game over time because we love our DAI players. Multiplayer will also be receiving regular content updates.
That should have been Required before any release and is Bioware indirectly saying Publisher (EA) wouldn't let us actually finish the game before it was released, if you don't have enough time, delay the release, then you'll have the time.

I'm coming to the conclusion no game from EA, should be bought until they release the "Definitive" (Meaning actually Finished) Version.
Ubisoft has long been there for me and EA's apparant progress, in comparison, is more Ubisoft getting worse rather than any EA improvement.
Publishers with an "exclusive client" required to run there games, more often restricting trade forcing purchase only from them, a monopoly, in other words, it's anti-consumerism at it's worst. Treating their customers like dirt on their shoes, EA and Ubisoft have these abominations, not a surprise they are the two worst publishers.

I don't care that the game may no longer be the hot and fashionable game, however old the Game may be, it will still be new to me and more importantly as good quality as I can get. Year after year, these publishers churn out broken overhyped games, until customers say I will not buy before release and after only when I'm satified it's actually playable.

I pity the devs who put such efforts into a game only to be scuppered by a forced release, some games in such a bad state they never recover from it. Assasin's Creed Unity is applauded for the quality of Revolutionary Paris, yet forever tainted by faceless characters and lack of basic finish. Tainted by Publisher greed

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Trishbot said:
Somethingfake said:
I'd really like it if they fixed a game *before* releasing it. You know, just to shake shit up. For once.
Bioware, or the WHOLE DAMN INDUSTRY... because they're a drop in the bucket at this point.

Right now, games launching FINISHED are the exceptions rather than the rule. Probably the last company that really does it is Nintendo, because they have this crazy idea that they should release a game when it's ready and complete.
I also generally find BioWare games are complete and working when released unlike other games, the one game of recent memory that didn't have a major issue is Alien: Isolation, but I don't have any first hand experience with it either. With Shadows of Mordor I had a captain that just wouldn't stay dead and kept coming back, Destiny with its broken loot system, Assassin's Creed: Unity, and there are probably more I can't think of.

Yes its frustrating to have controls that don't work the way we expect with Inquisition, but at least they are there. I don't have a magic eight ball to understand why there have been so many DX issues with the game, but I am thinking its not just issues within the game itself, but issues with drivers as well for I can't think of another reason why its only impacting certain people. My experience with a friend who also bought Inquisition is they were having the comment DX issue and I took over my video card to their house and the game worked fine with my card and not his and both were variants of a 670 card. I can't explain why my EVGA card works fine, but their MSI doesn't aside from there is some minute difference between them that nobody thought would be a problem.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
BioWare Forum Post said:
Priority 2 ? Features and content

As massive as Dragon Age: Inquisition already is, there were some things the team wanted to get in at launch, but we just ran out of time. We?ll be creating these new features and content and adding them into your game over time because we love our DAI players. Multiplayer will also be receiving regular content updates.
That should have been Required before any release and is Bioware indirectly saying Publisher (EA) wouldn't let us actually finish the game before it was released, if you don't have enough time, delay the release, then you'll have the time.

I'm coming to the conclusion no game from EA, should be bought until they release the "Definitive" (Meaning actually Finished) Version.
Ubisoft has long been there for me and EA's apparant progress, in comparison, is more Ubisoft getting worse rather than any EA improvement.
Publishers with an "exclusive client" required to run there games, more often restricting trade forcing purchase only from them, a monopoly, in other words, it's anti-consumerism at it's worst. Treating their customers like dirt on their shoes, EA and Ubisoft have these abominations, not a surprise they are the two worst publishers.

I don't care that the game may no longer be the hot and fashionable game, however old the Game may be, it will still be new to me and more importantly as good quality as I can get. Year after year, these publishers churn out broken overhyped games, until customers say I will not buy before release and after only when I'm satified it's actually playable.

I pity the devs who put such efforts into a game only to be scuppered by a forced release, some games in such a bad state they never recover from it. Assasin's Creed Unity is applauded for the quality of Revolutionary Paris, yet forever tainted by faceless characters and lack of basic finish. Tainted by Publisher greed

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Vault101 said:
I bareley ever use tactical but whenever I did I was like "uggghhh! why can't I just pan around with the mouse like anormal person!!??" which I know you can but its tedious...it felt like I needed to use a controller

I also kind of wish I could have free mouse control with the camera, its annoying trying to get the proper view so I can close a fade rift

EDIT: oh look..its rolling out on my birthday...thanks Bioware!
I know, right? The game takes one step closer to perfection! ^^

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am glad for the patch but would it kill them to give a more specific time. Simply saying it is
out today is not exactly helpfull.

Edit:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something is fucked withthe graphics options now. Even when the options are set on Ultra the quality is set at medium. Textures are worse, face detail is worse, scars are gone completly and hair looks like a big shiny plastic helmet. DO NOT DOWNLOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT 2:
Biowear are still working on a hotfix but they have told us of a Command Line we can add to get our graphics back. Instructions are in the spoiler

Hey Everyone,

We're working on getting a hot fix out for the PC graphics issue as soon as possible. In the meantime, here is a workaround you can try:

To start, make sure the quality setting you choose is equal to the setting set for Mesh Quality inside Options>Graphics

You will need to add a new command line parameter. To do this:

Through Origin:

Right click on the Dragon Age Inquisition title
Go to game properties
Type the command line parameter in the Command Line Properties box.

Through shortcut:

Right Click Shortcut
Go to Properties
Under target go to the end of the field and type the command line parameter into the box

Once there, add the following command line parameter: -ShaderSystem.ShaderQualityLevel

In this instance, should be one of the following:

Ultra
High
Medium
Low

An example of how to set your quality to high would be: -ShaderSystem.ShaderQualityLevel High

Please note that once the hot fix is out, you will need to go back in and remove this workaround from your command line.

It?s also important to note that pre-patch 2, all users on PC were being forced to use the Ultra shader quality. This means that those of you playing on lower settings will notice a decrease in quality, particularly players using low or medium settings.

To achieve the same visuals as pre-patch, users on lower settings will need to change their settings to Ultra, which should likewise be used in conjunction with Ultra mesh quality. Mismatching the mesh and shader settings will result in other visual artifacts like overly shiny hair.

Please be aware that changing settings to Ultra may impact performance on some machines.

Sorry about any frustration this may have caused.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Gizmo1990 said:
I am glad for the patch but would it kill them to give a more specific time. Simply saying it is out today is not exactly helpfull.
If its like any other patch/DLC they probably will have it go live around 10am PST.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
People seem to confuse "Patch" and "Fix" a hell of a lot.

A patch is something that basically improves on something that might simply not work as well as it should. Still usable, but its annoying to use because of the minor errors it has (like with this tactical view thing on DA:I)

A fix is something that is done to make something that does not work...actually work. Like the trouble AC: Unity is having at the moment.

It's good to see at least 1 company can churn out a game and have it working decently.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Sanunes said:
Gizmo1990 said:
I am glad for the patch but would it kill them to give a more specific time. Simply saying it is out today is not exactly helpfull.
If its like any other patch/DLC they probably will have it go live around 10am PST.
Thanks. I will remember that next time. 6pm is not too bad.

maneyan

Sep 22, 2014
I wish more people would show some understanding for just how tricky it is to hunt down every last bug in games. I mean this game is played on millions of computers which in turn have tens of millions of different combinations of RAM, CPU, hard drive etc. From the character creator to the credits there's thousands of "moving parts" that needs to be perfect and many features after a while become so familiar to the programmers that they don't even think of it as an issue. Then it's tossed out to millions of people out there who each have their own preferences and sensitivities and will complain about different things. Even if they playtested it it won't be obvious that this or that might be a problem unless they had tens of thousands of game testers, which won't happen.

The game was functional on launch, I have logged almost 180 hours since it came out and while they were issues there were no dealbreakers overall, all features were in it that needed to be in it (no, an extra armor on launch is not a "core feature", it's a fun little extra) for the game to be enjoyable. To call the game "unfinished" because a few features among thousands was a bit clunky just strikes me as petty-minded. There, I said it, now feel free to call me a corporate whore.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
maneyan said:
I wish more people would show some understanding for just how tricky it is to hunt down every last bug in games. I mean this game is played on millions of computers which in turn have tens of millions of different combinations of RAM, CPU, hard drive etc. From the character creator to the credits there's thousands of "moving parts" that needs to be perfect and many features after a while become so familiar to the programmers that they don't even think of it as an issue. Then it's tossed out to millions of people out there who each have their own preferences and sensitivities and will complain about different things. Even if they playtested it it won't be obvious that this or that might be a problem unless they had tens of thousands of game testers, which won't happen.

The game was functional on launch, I have logged almost 180 hours since it came out and while they were issues there were no dealbreakers overall, all features were in it that needed to be in it (no, an extra armor on launch is not a "core feature", it's a fun little extra) for the game to be enjoyable. To call the game "unfinished" because a few features among thousands was a bit clunky just strikes me as petty-minded. There, I said it, now feel free to call me a corporate whore.
Quiet, you. Games should be delayed for years while they fix every bug with the countless number of hardware and software combinations. I'd rather wait three more years for them to "finish" the game than to just a wait a few months for problems to be fixed after proper playtesting by the general population. It has absolutely nothing to do with an irrational hatred of Bioware and unrealistic expectations for extremely complex open-world games operating off of a brand new engine.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
It's out!

On to the downloadening!

Fairly sizable? 274.79 MB.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
maneyan said:

If you have a game that crashes constantly just because the computer runs on an nvidia graphics card then that is not an acceptable release version.
Yes, debugging takes a lot of time and bugs are not always easy to find, but this was a problem that occured on nearly every computer using an nvidia graphics card and it happened very frequently with barely 5 hours between crashes. That's hardly a hard bug to find and it is a serious one. This is a professional company that's charging 60 euros for this game and releasing it in a state where it crashes frequently for half their customers on pc is unacceptable.