Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Ive heard this one before. Oh Bioware, when will you learn....

CriticalMiss said:
I hope there is a green ending like in Mass Effect 3, I hate those other games with their silly binary choices between red and blue endings. Maybe they will be innovative and utilise Next-Gen Technology (tm) and have multicoloured endings?
They could have purple for the morally ambiguous ending.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Only way that is possible is puzzle pieces ála Witcher 2. And it will most certainly be at most half.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
spartandude said:
CriticalMiss said:
I hope there is a green ending like in Mass Effect 3, I hate those other games with their silly binary choices between red and blue endings. Maybe they will be innovative and utilise Next-Gen Technology (tm) and have multicoloured endings?
They could have purple for the morally ambiguous ending.
Wouldn't a purple ending involve the 3rd Street Saints showing up and shooting everyone?!

OT
Looking forward to this.... come on Bioware.... don't let me down!

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
40 different endings in the same dungeon but with a different color?

I was hyped for DA2. I thought their explanation of how a random guy (not the chosen one) gets thrown into the shit without really wanting to. They fucked that up.

I was hyped for ME3. 16 different endings! Wow! your choices matter! Yea no not really.

I'm gonna give this game a pass. Read the reviews and I'll probably buy it after that. But depending on the reviews I'll buy it right away or wait for a year or so. You know. I played the first one (loved it) and the second one (kinda shit all over itself) and now... good or bad I just want to finish the series.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
TBH i suspect again they are shooting themselves in the foot due to over-hyping. What will actually happen is that there will be points in the game where a event happens and you can solve it in one of 2 or 3 ways, a good, bad or neutral way, and this will be reflected in the ending (so now you have 3 endings).

There will then be another event which can be solved in a similar situation, but now they will count the showing of the results of this combined with the last one as a separate ending, so now you have 9 endings, (good-good, good-neutral etc)

And so on, so if there are 3 ways of dealing with it, it only takes 4 "events" to make the 40 different endings , about 5 or 6 to make the 40. Don't' get me wrong this could work, but the amount of binary moral choices that are happening in games nowerdays make me cynical when they come out with stuff like this.

This is of course assuming they are not talking out of there behinds, and also assuming by 40 different endings they don't just mean different parts of the colour spectrum (although the brown ending could be funny)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Milky1985 said:
TBH i suspect again they are shooting themselves in the foot due to over-hyping. What will actually happen is that there will be points in the game where a event happens and you can solve it in one of 2 or 3 ways, a good, bad or neutral way, and this will be reflected in the ending (so now you have 3 endings).

There will then be another event which can be solved in a similar situation, but now they will count the showing of the results of this combined with the last one as a separate ending, so now you have 9 endings, (good-good, good-neutral etc)

And so on, so if there are 3 ways of dealing with it, it only takes 4 "events" to make the 40 different endings , about 5 or 6 to make the 40. Don't' get me wrong this could work, but the amount of binary moral choices that are happening in games nowerdays make me cynical when they come out with stuff like this.

This is of course assuming they are not talking out of there behinds, and also assuming by 40 different endings they don't just mean different parts of the colour spectrum (although the brown ending could be funny)
Oh I'm totally with you on over hyping their games. This game will probably be pretty good, but because they have to sell so many copies to meet "expectations" they will throw the entire marketing machine into overdrive. Part of the reason EA gets so much hate is they set the customer expectation bar so high they can only barely reach it at best. Dark Souls is an example of doing things right as far as setting the customer expectation bar.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
People keep touting the fact their game has 500 different endings. I'd rather have one satisfying ending than 40 mediocre ones where everything is homogenized because of player choice to take into account.
And because most players play the game in exactly the same way everyone will end up with the same ending anyway. Cue the complaints...

I loved the ME3 endings and I hope they don't bend over backwards to cater to the yelling haters.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Nimcha said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
People keep touting the fact their game has 500 different endings. I'd rather have one satisfying ending than 40 mediocre ones where everything is homogenized because of player choice to take into account.
And because most players play the game in exactly the same way everyone will end up with the same ending anyway. Cue the complaints...

I loved the ME3 endings and I hope they don't bend over backwards to cater to the yelling haters.
*Didn't play the game the same as everyone else. Got the same ending in Mass Effect 3*

... Bend over backwards to cater to the yelling haters, Bioware! It's leading to improvements!

In all seriousness, it DOES sound like they're listening and improving, but I remain skeptical. I've heard the PR hype before, and Bioware has gone from "day-1" to "wait and see" after one too many missteps towards the end of last generation. I certainly WANT it to be good, and keeping companions off of DLC, giving the game time to flourish, and listening to the catalog of DA2 backlash, it all points towards a MUCH better game.

But... we'll see. The burden of proof is on them.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
The dialogue wheels sound interesting, but I imagine them to be somewhat tedious during actual gameplay.

For the number of endings, whoever gave that information has to be a big moron. The number of endings mean nothing, they get the number anyway by showing a few events which are independent from each other depending on a few game events.
They are just creating unnecessary hype that will leave a lot of people disappointed when they realize that the endings are just permutations of a very limited number of events.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I think by that that would mean failure endings also, not just victory endings. Anywhere from you being fantasy Jesus or being Cassandra of Troy, or maybe even being Hitler. I think they can do it, and have at least 3 or 4 meaningful different endings.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Why don't they just promise 16.7 million endings? That's the number of colours you can get on a standard monitor.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Damn. That's a lot of colors. (Low hanging fruit, sure, but low hanging fruit is still fruit).

Anyways, this is intriguing, but I can imagine the endings could have minimal changes between them, but still technically count as "different".

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Bioware are promising a wide array of different endings based on player actions and decisions throughout the story, why does that sound familiar?
Call me sceptical but I think I'm going to wait for others to finish this before I pick it up.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So 8 voices would mean "shipping on 14 discs or something"?
Does that mean this game will ship with 7 disks due to 4 voices or is laidlaw just full of shit and if he's full of shit which seems very likely, why would anyone believe the ridiculous claim of 40 endings?

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Uh-huh. Well Bioware, considering the promises you made about ME3 that never panned out (no A, B, C ending... umm... yeah... how'd that one turn out again?)... I'll believe it when I see it.

But again, considering ME3... its incredibly difficult for me to get excited about anything Bioware does anymore.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
I can only see 40 different endings working the same way it worked in Way of the Samurai.

A lot of promising information, but let's see how it pans out.