Dragon Age Inquisition will have Microtransactions

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
"However, if you do want to speed up your progress, you can spend real-world money to purchase the game's virtual currency, known as Platinum. Costa assures fan, though, that, "Nothing is behind a paywall."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-has-multiplayer-first-detai/1100-6421934/

sigh.......

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
kiri2tsubasa said:
Or you can do what I did in Mass Effect 3 and play. I never spent a single penny on Multiplayer and I manged to get all the characters, all of the weapons, and managed to get about 70 or so percent to level X equipment/weapons. You can do that without paying a single bit of money.
And what if they decide to "innovate" it too much like they did with Dungeon Keeper?

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
EA is pulling ACTUAL cash shop in addition to inevitable miniature DLC? Soon they'll seriously agree with Darth Kotick on "sucking fun out of games".

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Never played the Dragon Age games, but I have the first on PC. This has just given me reason to never even start it, if this is where it ends up. Not a fan of companies charging extra money and shoehorning in multiplayer because making a good game is too hard for them.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Auberon said:
EA is pulling ACTUAL cash shop in addition to inevitable miniature DLC? Soon they'll seriously agree with Darth Kotick on "sucking fun out of games".
Well from what I hear they're implementing something like borderlands Golden Chests where you get random high level loot except you pay real world money.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
is this just for the mulitplayer (ala mass effect 3) or does it affect the campaign too?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It's for the multiplayer, who gives a shit.
If they pull a Dead Space 3 and put them in the single-player game, then we'll have a reason to be pissed.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
And no one was shocked at all. Anyone who says otherwise is either blissfully ignorant of both EA business strategy and Triple A market trends or is lying. I do and don't envy the former.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So did Mass Effects multiplayer, yet I was never tempted to buy them. I just earned credits the hard way, by playing the game and having fun. Falling into micro-transactions is someones own fault.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Honestly, I am okay with this. Mass Effect 3 kept its MP fresh for a long time with a steady stream of free DLC and I never once felt like I needed to buy with real cash. Combine this with the fact that it will have zero impact on SP *YAY* and no multiplayer achievements *DOUBLE YAY* I am actually looking forward to MP somewhat. Unfortunately, the inclusion of MP means I will have to get it on consoles, if only to play with my friends.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
You know, after Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3...

It doesn't really bother me. Yeah, it's a ass-hat move, but at the same time... I don't remember the micro-transactions deducting anything from those games for me. Multiplayer was entirely playable without buying a thing, and Dead Space only added silly things that didn't really add much. (Asides smarmy droid voices)

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Of course it does, it's EA, right?
I mean, was there ever any doubt?
Hope, maybe, but doubt?

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
DirgeNovak said:
It's for the multiplayer, who gives a shit.
Wait, Inquisition has multiplayer...?

[Googles furiously]

Wait, random levels, loots drops...They're turning it into Diablo?

Gah!

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Dragon Age Inquisition is an EA game. Acting surprised or angry that there are microtransactions in an EA game is like acting surprised or angry when discovering that the meat filling at Taco Bell doesn't contain any actual skeletal muscle.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ObserverStatus said:
Dragon Age Inquisition is an EA game. Acting surprised or angry that there are microtransactions in an EA game is like acting surprised or angry when discovering that meat filling at Taco Bell doesn't contain any actual skeletal muscle.
And /thread.

Seriously, this is EA we're talking about. If people can't see the pattern then I'm not too hopeful for humanities future.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
If it's for the MP, who cares?

If it's for the SP then a heartfelt string of swears and curses for EA.

If it's for the MP, which somehow arbitrarily effects the SP, then WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
The big surprise to me is not the cash shop which has been in every EA Bioware game since DA origins but that it has multiplayer at all. Usually they drop this kind of info a little farther back in the dev cycle, not 2 months from launch. I rather (against my will) enjoyed ME 3's multiplayer. It was far more fun than I thought it would be and kept the game alive for me a lot longer than normal. If it's well enough executed I may give this a run as well, but really it's looking a bit like it might be WoW light or something.

The cash shop here like in ME 3 doesn't bother me. If someone wants to trade money for time I say give them the option. Not everyone has 100+ hours to grind up a multiplayer character. As long as content is not locked completely behind a pay wall I see nothing to complain about here.