Dragon Age: Inquisition Wins GOTY at SXSW

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Fireprufe15 said:
Can someone explain this to me? According to the awards, it doesn't have the best graphics, best design, best gameplay or best narrative, yet somehow it is the best game? How does that even make sense.
It does if we go by a "Jack of all trades, master of none" principle, it's not really the best in any one thing, but is overall better than the rest.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I feel like I live in this weird world where I played Bayonetta 2 and nobody else at these awards even knows it exists.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Karadalis said:
LetalisK said:
Karadalis said:
What? No... no im not simply salty because flirting with the female dwarf scout didnt go anywhere and i was left with militant feminist and silly french accent diplomat i didnt really care about... not at all.
Silly Italian accent! Didn't the ridiculous poofy outfit give it away? Because god forbid we make a fantasy game with unique cultures when we can just rip off stereotypes of renaissance europe.

OT: Meh, okay. DA:I is one of those games I don't enjoy, but I don't begrudge others for enjoying it. Just not my cup of tea, though I can see how it is for many people.

Off-topic: Speaking of SXSW and Austin, anyone know how Austin is in the summer? From what I've read, it sounds kinda miserable, but reading =/= believing.
Italian?

Well in german she sounded rather french to be honest. Just like the rest of Orlay or whatever that silly region is called.

Just wish the companions would have been a tad more believable? Likable? Less over the topish?

Rather liked DA:O choice of companions more... had better chemestry
It may be a language thing. At first I thought she was doing a French accent, but her accent seemed off somehow. Then I noticed how she dressed and realized she just wasn't doing an over the top Italian accent like I'm used to in other games. Basically unlike the Orlesians hitting you over the head with their accent. I know one of the creators said Antiva is based on...Venice or some other renaissance Italian city state, but the accent was supposed to mimic spanish. Eh, I think without a certain cadence and a little subdued, it's kind of hard to tell, but I get more of an Italian vibe than spanish.

What did you make of Cassandra's accent? I'm not quite sure where to place it, but was it some kind of a subdued German accent? It would keep with her motif. I'm curious what it was like for your version.

slacker2

May 22, 2011
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clue me into what is technically impressive about Destiny

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Woo woo Transistor won something!

Most of the other stuff is kind of bs, like Far Cry 4 winning "best visual achievement" and Destiny for "technical achievement", but a significantly better display than the BAFTAs.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
slacker2 said:
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clue me into what is technically impressive about Destiny
?Absolutely bugger all. It is a plain old shooter with mechanics that have previously existed, featuring semi-MMO elements that have also previously existed and none of it is in the least bit technically impressive. They had to give it an award for SOMETHING, though, otherwise a bunch of people would be angry at them, I suppose.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
DA:I has many strong qualities that made it my choice for the best game last year, but it's gameplay and story felt detached when compared to Shadow of Mordor and The Wolf Among Us, respectively. I suppose the gameplay is as a result of controlling 4 characters at a time, and given the scale and playtime of the game, story decisions must be careful and deliberate to prevent players from feeling the they made decisions too hastily.

It's unfortunate that we have so few games even worth talking about from 2014, but at least it's never been easier to play older games.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
LetalisK said:
It may be a language thing. At first I thought she was doing a French accent, but her accent seemed off somehow. Then I noticed how she dressed and realized she just wasn't doing an over the top Italian accent like I'm used to in other games. Basically unlike the Orlesians hitting you over the head with their accent. I know one of the creators said Antiva is based on...Venice or some other renaissance Italian city state, but the accent was supposed to mimic spanish. Eh, I think without a certain cadence and a little subdued, it's kind of hard to tell, but I get more of an Italian vibe than spanish.

What did you make of Cassandra's accent? I'm not quite sure where to place it, but was it some kind of a subdued German accent? It would keep with her motif. I'm curious what it was like for your version.

Tough one... could be german but also could be something slavic... but definatly a northeast european accent.

Didnt like cassandra that much till i found her weakness for bad romance novels... but all in all she is a very poor character considering who she is suposed to be. Shes way to emotional and her temperament goes through with her way to often considering her position... you would think they would have someone calmer as a truthseeker and no someone whos brimming with agression to the boiling point half the time.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
The Jovian said:
Fireprufe15 said:
Can someone explain this to me? According to the awards, it doesn't have the best graphics, best design, best gameplay or best narrative, yet somehow it is the best game? How does that even make sense.
It does if we go by a "Jack of all trades, master of none" principle, it's not really the best in any one thing, but is overall better than the rest.
Pretty much this. It excels at nothing but is competent at basically everything.
I?m alright with this choice. It is at least a good game unlike Destiny.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Why is C9 the most valuable esports team? They've been consistently average in dota 2. Are their other teams amazing or something?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I was sad to see The Banner Saga not win any awards. That is one of my favorite games. I can't wait for the sequel.