Dragon Age Inquisition: Worth Buying?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
I didn't love the first one but sort of enjoyed it. The combat killed it for me.
Second one had way better combat but the story was horrible.

Thinking about picking up #3 but have heard some bad things about it.

- Denovo DRM killing SSDs, potentially in weeks.
- Performance issues even on high level computers.
- Crashes and bugs galore.

That said, I don't know if this is just a vocal minority or what.

So - buy or don't buy?

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Drm thing is probably just a rumour. Mainly the game suffers from crappy controls and an unintuitive user interface. Would've been fixed within a day if the game was moddable, just look at how much better skyrim is with skyui. unfortunately we have to wait for the devs to fix it, if they do at all. There are some bugs, graphical glitches and long loading times, but nothing major. Still, id suggest waiting a little bit. This game doesn't feel finished, it clearly wasn't optimised for PC.

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
Wait for sale.
Alot of people says that the the game's first 10 or 15 hours are very boring...like playing MMOs solo with many quests like kill 10 goats.

Alex1508

Sep 20, 2014
sataricon said:
Wait for sale.
Alot of people says that the the game's first 10 or 15 hours are very boring...like playing MMOs solo with many quests like kill 10 goats.
That is because the first area, the hinterlands, is a horrible slog (and downright impossible) if you try to complete it. Doing enough quests to keep you lvled up and continuing with the main story tends to help out with the first act a lot. Plus later on, the game really picks up tbh.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Alex1508 said:
sataricon said:
Wait for sale.
That is because the first area, the hinterlands, is a horrible slog (and downright impossible) if you try to complete it. Doing enough quests to keep you lvled up and continuing with the main story tends to help out with the first act a lot. Plus later on, the game really picks up tbh.
Which is a horrible way to design a game. The first Witcher had this problem too. Everyone kept saying that it really picks up later in the second act and through the third. My problem was that the game was so boring until then that I stopped playing it shortly into the second act.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I would say yes, but only if you're prepared to muscle yourself across the game's very dull first 5 to 10 hour hump.

The game starts off very confusing even if you're used to the game series. Or maybe especially if you're used to the series -- The enormous (and I do mean fucking enormous) level areas make you feel a bit lost at sea. The game throws you into areas that are so big and jam packed with content, right off the bat, that you don't really know what to do with yourself. Once you get used to the size and scope of everything though it becomes a lot of fun as well as addictive to wander around these beautifully rendered environments. It did for me anyway.

I only played on the PS4, but it looks fucking incredible (except for Sera's hair). Whenever I'm playing I'm often gobsmacked that these visuals are actually being presented to me on screen.

The first act in Haven is boring and bland, but once you get past that the game becomes quite good.

Alex1508

Sep 20, 2014
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Alex1508 said:
sataricon said:
Wait for sale.
Which is a horrible way to design a game. The first Witcher had this problem too. Everyone kept saying that it really picks up later in the second act and through the third. My problem was that the game was so boring until then that I stopped playing it shortly into the second act.
I played both games and in my opinion it's far less of a problem than in Witcher, the amount of quests you need to do to gain enough lvls or influence is way less than in the witcher.

It also makes sense since you are basically founding and managing an organization which is openly distrusted or ridiculed by most of the political powers around. In the first act you need to establish a basic foundation and some influence before some groups would even start negotiations with you. For example in order to start up the mage/templar storyline branch, which covers the first act, you need 4 power, TB who spent about quite a few hours just doing sidequests in the hinterlands had 29 when he decided to actually follow the storyline out of boredom. The idea is, you must pace yourself in the first act otherwise you run the risk of burning yourself out.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Crashes on high level computers isn't that much of a minority tbh. A lot of issues with the game right now. I'm still running a two year old 670 and that should by no means have any issues with running DA but it still crashes. My other games started to crap out a little after installing DA as well... No idea why that is. That being said, it's a gorgeous game and I'd give it a 9/10 if it didn't crash so often. If you absolutely MUST have it, go ahead. Otherwise wait a bit if its for PC.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Ugh you guys aren't making it easy :(. The game sounds right up my alley but the technical issues would annoy the hell out of me.

Running a fairly decent PC: 780ti OC, top line processor etc.

Releases in Japan in 2 days. Still torn lol.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Don't Buy

As a fan of Dragon Age Origins and DA2 I just can't recommend this game. It has completely failed to pull me in for reasons that I can't properly explain. Here are a few quick thoughts/points based on my PC experience.

- These controls are awful..maybe I'll get used to them though
- I don't even want to keep playing these controls take me out of the experience
- Wait! I have a controller. Wow...HUGE improvement! Controller is a MUST HAVE for PC at the moment.
- Thanks to the controller I don't want to do the high difficulty tactical combat. It just doesn't feel as good as mouse/keyboard. Guess I'll drop the difficulty down to Normal.
- The Hinterlands are beautiful! They do an absolutely fantastic job with environmental variety.
- There's so much to do as well..every 50 steps uncovers new visuals and quests!
- What's my main quest again?
- Man...these side quests are kind of cool but ultimately feel random and meaningless.
- The combat is acceptable but it's leagues worse than DA2.
- How do I know how tough an enemy is? I'm getting party wiped for attacking a stationary ram. I also got insta wiped by a dragon but that at least warned me it was out of my league.
- I pretty much like, if not love all aspects of this game and yet it's not clicking with me, I'll try it again tomorrow.
- *plays for 60 minutes the next day*...still not having it. Maybe in a couple days
- *plays for only 45 minutes this time with lots of yawning*
- *plays for 20 minutes and finds an excuse to do housework rather than continue*

I'm still periodically going back to the game but it's just failed to win me over and I don't know why.

I'll be amazed if I ever play this game beyond the Hinterlands let alone to completion. I really want to see where the story goes and I want to revisit more Dragon Age characters from games passed but I'm just not finding the motivation to play.

This game has all the components of a great game but completely fails to deliver a product I want to play through. If I were to score this without any objectivity I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of 10.

If I had to score it based on my experiences with the game I'd be hard pressed to even give it a 3/10.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
-SSD killing officially denied, not reproduced by anyone else
-Runs fine but there is a bug which limits cutscene frame rate to 30fps. Can be fixed with some command line arguments, official fix incoming.
-As always, bugs and crashes greatly exaggerated by those who suffer from them. Could be due to a host of user-related issues (I've played for 30+ hours without a single crash.)

Good things:
-Huge game. I'm 30+ hours in and barely scratched the surface of content.
-Pretty epic story. Gets things back on track after the side-story that was DA2
-Nice graphics, fun combat (subjective I know), excellent crafting system

Bad things:
-Keyboard/mouse controls are awful. Fixes are promised but for now a controller is way better
-Easy to get lost doing random side quest stuff, main plot falls to the wayside
-Multiplayer is pretty crummy

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I've put about 40 hours into the game at this point because it's a lot of fun. If I'm gauging the story right, I'm about 2/3 the way through the story but there's SO MUCH OTHER STUFF. Also the fights against major bosses feel suitably epic. Killing dragons actually feels like an accomplishment. That first one in the Hinterlands was a real problem, I spent most of the fight running between downed party members and picking them up.

Also, I can throw a JAR OF BEES AT PEOPLE'S FACES! AND WASPS! 11/10

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm just wondering, having read the comments and the like(not having played the game) why is it this game seems to be getting a pass, or at least a shallow nod, for getting better some 30+ hours in? But like FF13 got drawn and quartered for the same? Actually enjoyment aside, both games were said to get better some 30+ hours in, yet Dragon Age: Totally Not Grey Knights gets a soft but noticeable Woo, while FF13 gets an unmistakable Boo.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
Ninety two hours played, finished the game. This post might be considered spoilery to some people..

Honestly, I'd say not to buy it until a steep discount. After finishing the title, I'm feeling very, very meh about it. It has an incredibly slow, slogging start into a very interesting middle, then an epic build-up... then the end leaves you wishing for something better. You don't get the awesome payoff you got in the previous games. Just, "Show up, tank and spank the multi-stage boss, win game". No build-up fight to the boss. No epic battle alongside your entire team. No minions to wade through or dungeon to explore. Show up and kill the big bad, go home.

There is an interesting surprise at the end of the credits that I liked, though, but it just screamed, "SEE YOU IN THE SEQUEL" or "BUY OUR DLC" to me the more I think about it.

Also, no Sandel and no Warden/Warden-Commander from the first game. Both black marks. Don't hope to see them. You won't.

All and all, I'm just disappointed by Bioware. Again.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Based around how I understand origins return policy you may as well try it. Buy it if you don't like it return it. Nothing to lose really. (I guess some time) But form what I've heard it's easy to return Origin games.

My experience so far? Ehh I like it more then the first. I enjoy siting and talking with the charters more then I enjoy the combat. That said the combat is filler not fucking chore like the first game.(that's a complement if you can't tell)

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
I haven't encountered any problems, 50+ hours so far with a controller. The best description I can give it is that it's a blend between Dragon Age and Skyrim. If that means anything to you, then I would recommend getting it.