Dragon Age Inquisition - Your favourite party member

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. Which of the potential party members of DAI do you count as your favourite, and why?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Probably Cassandra and Varric. Cassandra because of all the characters in your party she's the one that seems to have the most growth throughout the course of the game, and Varric because he's awesome and the only good thing to have come out of DA2.

You can be damned sure I crowned Cassandra as super pope by the end of the game. But then even if I didn't like her character I still probably would have since Leliana is kinda, erm, well evilish by the end of the game. I wouldn't trust her with that kind of power, which is kinda sad because I remember her pretty fondly from DA: Origins.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Varric and Dorian,

Varric because he's been a permanent party member since DA II
And Dorian's banter is great fun, especially when paired with the aforementioned Varric

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Solas would be the most interesting. But 'favourite' to have around would probably be Sera, especially when she launches into party banter. DA:I's cast is superbly presented - best in the series in terms of a cohesive bunch of folk who have been keeping company for a while. But DA:I and the companions are a little more dour than Origins or DAII. Sera usually brings some much needed irreverence to proceedings.

Oh, outside of the travelin' group, Josephine's pretty awesome. BioWare don't tend to write many interesting and well adjusted characters, but I think she's a great example of one.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Varric, Dorian and Solas. The former two just because they're just plain fun, Solas because I enjoy his inquisitive/socratic nature and the insight he brings to the world around him.

The Madman said:
You can be damned sure I crowned Cassandra as super pope by the end of the game. But then even if I didn't like her character I still probably would have since Leliana is kinda, erm, well evilish by the end of the game. I wouldn't trust her with that kind of power, which is kinda sad because I remember her pretty fondly from DA: Origins.
Fun fact: Much like you could 'harden' Leliana and Alistair in Origins, Inquisition allows you to 'soften' Leliana, which results in her becoming perhaps the most compassionate and accepting of the 'super pope' candidates. Conversely, 'hardening' her in Inquisition pretty much puts her in the same category as Bhelin Aeducan in Origins.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Asita said:
Fun fact: Much like you could 'harden' Leliana and Alistair in Origins, Inquisition allows you to 'soften' Leliana, which results in her becoming perhaps the most compassionate and accepting of the 'super pope' candidates. Conversely, 'hardening' her in Inquisition pretty much puts her in the same category as Bhelin Aeducan in Origins.
How so? I played the generic 'good guy' role in Inquisition and by the end she was still pretty damned cold. I was under the impression that no matter what you did Leliana would still undergo her crisis of faith that ends with her straight up murdering someone in her personal mission, regardless of what you do.

I don't think evil was the right word to use for her, but she's definitely a stone cold killer by the end of Inqusition.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
The Madman said:
Asita said:
How so? I played the generic 'good guy' role in Inquisition and by the end she was still pretty damned cold. I was under the impression that no matter what you did Leliana would still undergo her crisis of faith that ends with her straight up murdering someone in her personal mission, regardless of what you do.

I don't think evil was the right word to use for her, but she's definitely a stone cold killer by the end of Inqusition.
No, she didn't kill the person in her personal quest for me. She won't always do it. As far as I can tell from some lazy googling, there are a couple of things that determine whether or not she'll kill them.

As for the OT:

It's kinda hard for me to choose.

I've always loved Varric, but I think my favourite `new` companions are Dorian and Cole.
Cole is fascinating, and he always really wants to help people. It's really quite sweet.
And Dorian is both really funny and an excellent character at the same time.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The Madman said:
Asita said:

Same way as in Origins, you have to choose the right dialogue options, and this naturally requires that you check in with her regularly, and you have to hit all the points to soften her.

One thing you must keep in mind for all of this is that by the time of Inquisition Leliana is positively ruthless and has fully enveloped herself in the role of the cold and calculating spymaster. She does not need to be taught that sometimes pawns must be sacrificed in a game of chess. She knows that all too well. What she needs to be reminded is that she is not moving pieces on a chess board, she's working with people whose lives have greater value than their role in working for her. Softening Leliana is not about what the most tactically sound decisions are, it's about helping her rekindle and reclaim her sense of compassion.

There are two points to start softening her in Haven. The first is to offer her sympathy while she's praying and the second occurs during a scene where she's talking about how to deal with one of her spies who turned traitor. To soften her you need to tell her to spare this traitor.

The next instance occurs in Skyhold in a scene where she's lamenting pulling her scouts back before the attack on Haven. Softening her here requires that you validate the decision that she made, to tell her that she was right to pull the scouts back.

This culminates in the third instance which occurs when she's about to kill Sister Natalie. If you have done as suggested thus far, Leliana will listen to you if you tell her to spare Natalie. If you have not, she'll kill Natalie no matter what you say.

Finally, when she sees the box at the end of her questline, you have to tell her to stop beating herself up. If you do all this, she will be softened.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The Madman said:
Asita said:

I know what you mean. The Leliana I remember from Origins is not the same one that starts out in Inquisition. I was rather depressed, and there were several times where I asked, "What happened to you?" However, I did see glimpses of the old her buried under all the cold spy master stuff.

I never had her come out and kill the cleric spy in her personal mission. I was always given the choice, and I told her no. If she is just doing it without asking you, then you may have already passed the point of no return for her. To avoid this, I would suggest always telling her to show mercy. There's a conversation in Haven where she finds out that one of her agents betrayed and murdered another agent, and she wants the man dead. Choose to step in and tell her that killing the traitor isn't the answer and she will back down. Keep doing things like that--reminding her that a knife isn't always the answer--and you will eventually get her to calm down.
When she finally opened up at the end for me, I smiled because she was the kind, hopeful girl I remembered. Plus, hearing he swoon over my female Dalish elf and how happy they were made me smile too.

As for my favorite character, and this kills me to say it, I don't really have one. No one in Inquisition stood out and grabbed me like every other BioWare game I've ever played. Yes, The Iron Bull was humorous, it was great seeing Cassandra and Varric go at each other (and that part with the romance book!), but none of them really grabbed me. The closest I can come up with is Vivienne, mainly because it was refreshing to hear a mage who didn't preach "FREEDOM AT ALL COSTS!" and who actually understood the roles of Templars and Mages, but even she was just kind of...meh. She certainly knew how to handle herself though. The barbs that came out of her mouth whenever someone dared to disrespect or challenge her...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Asita said:
Same way as in Origins, you have to choose the right dialogue options, and this naturally requires that you check in with her regularly, and you have to hit all the points to soften her.
Huh, I didn't know that. I'd read somewhere that no matter what you did she killed the sister later on, never even occurred to me that what I'd read was wrong. Next time I play the game I'll have to try and see if I can't get her back to being a bit nicer since cold Leliana is kinda scary.

It is a bit annoying to think that me letting her kill the spy so early on in the game was probably responsible for her turning out that way though, since as I recall I did everything else the 'nice' way, but at least it gives me something to consider when next I replay the game. Maybe once some dlc has come out if it gets good reviews. I was kinda disappointed with how the game ended but a bit of solid added content could change that easily enough and for all their faults (And I do still have many complaints with Bioware these days) they are one of the better studio when it comes to releasing worthwhile dlc.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Varric or Sera are probably the funniest.

As far as ones I use most often, Cassandra, Varric or Dorian. As a two-handed fighter, they're a good mix.

Least favorite goes to either Solas or James Vega -err- I mean Iron Bull. Solas is just a poorly written character(almost feels incomplete, like the writer's deadline crept too fast). Iron Vega is just useless to me. That, and his personality is so...dim. So boring and cliche.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Probably either Cassandra or Cole.

Cullen was a cutie, though. I romanced him.

small

Aug 5, 2014
varric is good fun to keep around, sera really grew on me and i went from hating her to enjoying her company, and iron bull is awesome fun to have around when you go fight a dragon as hes a bit on the keen side to say the least

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Cassandra: She just had a good character that was well rounded. I enjoyed it. Plus her romance is so derpy it's amazing.
Following that, probably Bull. Just because he's like... funny, and a smart character who enjoys his 'i'm a brute' image and reputation, and really does just enjoy it most of the time. And sometimes you want a character who is like, 'A dragon. HELL YEAH LETS PUNCH IT.'

Then probably Solas, while he can be blandish, when he actually talks about some things, he often does bring a different viewpoint that isn't obnoxious. Plus he can enlighten the character on some of the goings on, and if you're a elf, it feeds further into the main plot. (I was a elf, so, extra points.)

Then probably Dorrian. I really like the guy, but as I was derping around with Solas, I didn't get much time with him to put him higher.

Lowest? Varric, Blackwall, Cole, Vivienne, and Sera.

Oh gosh, someone shoot the waste of space that is Sera.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Sera, because she does not give a single fuck about your inflated sense of self importance.

Willzors

Aug 19, 2014
I really like Dorian the best out of all the characters. The fact that he was a jerk to everyone was always interesting.

My least favourite was easily Sera.... ugh, I only kept her around because I thought her allies could help at some stage.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The Madman said:
Probably Cassandra and Varric. Cassandra because of all the characters in your party she's the one that seems to have the most growth throughout the course of the game, and Varric because he's awesome and the only good thing to have come out of DA2.
I'm shocked. How could you not love Merill?

Even so, back to the main topic, there really wasn't a character that I loved in DA:I. Sera's accent is too annoying and she's a tad too immature, although I did enjoy sticking her and Vivienne in my party so I could hear them bounce off of one another.

I still think DA 2 had the series' best characters, and Inquisition doesn't nearly measure up to its predecessors in that department.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I like Iron Bull since he often enjoys everything we do. Having him around for a dragon fight is also joyful since he's so pumped up about it.

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
Damn, it's exceptionally hard to choose. By now I've done 5 run throughs, and travelled with every companion other than Vivienne (I don't see anyone mention her, I notice). And it's funny, but even characters I was 'meh' about to start with became interesting and attaching once I've travelled with them, listened to their banter, ran their quests and talked with them.

I also find myself quantifying and splitting hairs: my favorite...to drink with? (Varric) To fight alongside? (Bull) To eat cookies and give myself a reality check? (Sera) To hide behind when swords start to swing? (Blackwall) To-

If I had to pick, I'd go with Cole. Because he is such a mixture of sweet, strange and vaguely scary at times that I find myself wanting to plonk him into each new group, playthrough and situation I encounter, just to see how he'll react. One of my favorite 'party reaction' moments was when we find the draconologist's materials in the desert, and Cole says, in his innimitable way, "Someone is missing boxes, papers...and a small teapot." The delivery is just...gold.