Dragon Age Not Just A Game

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I'm hoping it means more than just the introductory and ending screens being slightly different.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Stubee said:
Baldurs Gate 2 wants a word with all of you....

BTW Dragon Age is defo going to be on xbox right?
BG1 is has it's back with a Holy Avenger +8.

And probably, but my guess is the main focus will be P.C. oriented. Think what happened with Oblivion.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
so theyre gonna make an rpg which will be easy for modders to tinker with; truly groundbreaking stuff there.

theCMNDER

Jan 18, 2009
I looked at this game a bit on Gametrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/game/dragon-age-origins/9022] before, theres lots of good videos on there with the guys working on it etc. Its sounding very good, the 3 races/classes do have different story lines, and from what I can tell it isn't just different intro different outro, and the way characters interact with you also depends on race, eg. Elves are shunned by the humans and seen as slaves in Dragon Age, so when playing the Elf Sorceror people might not be so nice, but other mages will be, whereas mages may look down on you if you play as a Warrior etc. The only thing I wasn't overly impressed by was the combat, there's something that doesn't sit quite right with me about it, but I can't say what.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Woe Is You said:
I'm hoping it means more than just the introductory and ending screens being slightly different.
Hmm, possibly, though I feel we may be disappointed there, still, even if it -is- confined to even the opening segments it'll still be pretty neat. One of the major disappointments I had with Fallout was that the growing up segment ended so quickly, I mean, it's hard to feel anything for the people you're leaving behind if you don't get to know them. That said, at least the first Fallout didn't give even you the pretense of that, just out the door and go save the Vault hah.

It'll be nice to see if your origins do indeed impact the overall story.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
"NWN was awesome, we want to repeat that success again".

NWN WAS awesome, and I wish they WOULD repeat it.

Also I now have an erection.

Ridonculous_Ninja

Apr 15, 2009
Woe Is You said:
WolfSage said:
if you're ACTUALLY getting into semantics, its more of an mmorpg, kingdom hearts is an action rpg. diablo is king.
...Diablo is neither persistent, nor is it massive. Those are the two main requirements for any game to be an MMO. Therefore, Diablo has precious little to do with an MMORPG.

If that were the case, then me playing Baldur's Gate 2 online with a buddy of mine would mean BG2 is an MMORPG. It's not.

As for it being a pure RPG, I'd expect more than just stats and gear for a game to be that. It's an action RPG and/or a point and click hack and slash game. You don't actually play a role in Diablo.
Guild Wars would like a word with you

It's almost completely instanced, but it IS a very popular MMORPG

But ya Diablo is an action RPG hack'n'slash, the gear and stats are their, but every conversation is pre-recorded, there are no dialogue choices (Diablo 3 has added those in now) and you don't get to pick if your guy is a douche or a saint, a Paladin is always going to spout random piety after killing Radament, or breaking the claw Viper Altar, and a Necromancer is always going to be a sadistic badass.
WolfSage said:
...when you start doing uber tristram runs to farm torches with 10 or so people...
Max party size is 8 people. You haven't played in awhile have you?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
Woe Is You said:
WolfSage said:
if you're ACTUALLY getting into semantics, its more of an mmorpg, kingdom hearts is an action rpg. diablo is king.
...Diablo is neither persistent, nor is it massive. Those are the two main requirements for any game to be an MMO. Therefore, Diablo has precious little to do with an MMORPG.

If that were the case, then me playing Baldur's Gate 2 online with a buddy of mine would mean BG2 is an MMORPG. It's not.

As for it being a pure RPG, I'd expect more than just stats and gear for a game to be that. It's an action RPG and/or a point and click hack and slash game. You don't actually play a role in Diablo.
Guild Wars would like a word with you

It's almost completely instanced, but it IS a very popular MMORPG

But ya Diablo is an action RPG hack'n'slash, the gear and stats are their, but every conversation is pre-recorded, there are no dialogue choices (Diablo 3 has added those in now) and you don't get to pick if your guy is a douche or a saint, a Paladin is always going to spout random piety after killing Radament, or breaking the claw Viper Altar, and a Necromancer is always going to be a sadistic badass.
Yes but thats inherent in the character class. A Paladin is always pious. A necromancer is inherently badass/sadistic.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Let's face it: Bioware's RPGs are linear.
I'd say The Baldur's Gate Saga wasn't entirely linear. It was to some extent, but I could still wander the wilderness around the towns in BG1 before ever heading to the mine. And in BG2, once you've got to get 20,000 gold, they say 'go get it' and away you go.

Now, of course, it isn't 'Oblivion'-style sandboxing, but I wouldn't say it led you by the hand either.

And that's what I'm excited about for Dragon Age. They say it's a return to Bioware's Baldur's Gate roots. And, with the Baldur's Gate saga being my all-time favourite RPGs ever...hands down, this gives me great hope for the scope and size of Dragon Age.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Woe Is You said:
That's certainly what they are promising and showing, based on your origin story NPCs will react very differently to you. Merchants for example are much more receptive to a human noble then elves, who are basically second class citizens in this world.

I greatly enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series, so I am eagerly awaiting getting my hands on Dragon Age.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Stubee said:
Baldurs Gate 2 wants a word with all of you....

BTW Dragon Age is defo going to be on xbox right?
If I remember correctly, yes and very yes. They're not even porting it; they're building it from the ground up for each platform. And I'm pretty certain they did say they weren't dumbing it down for the Xbox, just making it work better. Take that how you will.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
If they do it right and there's a way to filter out the shite bad user-generated content then this could be my new favourite game.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I can't wait for this game. When I heard the words RPG and Bioware I got giddy. Hope this game is great because I'm buying it the day it comes out.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I have high hopes for this game, I just hope to hell they don't saddle it with that SecuROM DRM bullcrap as they did Mass Effect. I'd really like to be able to play this game. It (along with the previously released Witcher) looks to really revitalize the single player RPG experience. Of course, to be half as good as Bioware is making it out to be, it will have to heal the sick and cure the blind while delivering a good gaming experience, but that's the nature of hype for you.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
the bastards at EA pushed back the PC version from April to fall/winter to match the console release.