Dragon Age: Origins' DLC Will Be Available Day One

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I love Bioware, I love almost all of their games and Dragon Age is a game I've been looking forward to like no other. Having said that, this is just low. DLC on release day is a nice way of saying "Piece of the game that we want to charge you extra for". Why not include it in the game in the first place and then develop some ACTUAL DLC?

Before I get the usual "They just want to make money" muppets on my arse, yes I know. That's what the $60+ price tag is there for. It's not like they're giving the game away or something. This is just milking it.

And I will be voting with my wallet and will not be buying a single piece of DLC that's put out in this manner.

gtez

Apr 8, 2009
Just as someone who makes games for a living. There seems to be this idea that the DLC was made while the game was still being made. Don't forget it takes months from when the game was finished until when it hits the shelves. During this time DLC can be made by the dev team.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
OR they could lower the game's price, periodically give away DLC for free and have some actual, long-term success.
But that kind of thing is for crazy people, right? Nobody wants it.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Eventually all games will have monthly fees or the DLC equivalent. MMO's make lots of money, but it's very difficult to compete in the MMO marketplace. The answer? Phase out the single-purchase experience so that all games operate on the MMO price model. I just hope that game dev positions attain a degree of stability as more games become supported for long periods of time. The hire, work-to-death, fire-on-release style of employee management has got to go.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Woodsey said:
CD-R said:
Just preordered the PC version yesterday. I wasn't going to preorder it originally but since it's supposed to be shipping without any DRM, I figured I should support something like that.
Why?

They're releasing 'extra-content' the same day as the game at a cost. It's a blatant rip-off, no matter how small.

I can't believe they've actually done this.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
lumenadducere said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok if they're developing the DLC content now so it's ready to be released with the original game, why don't they just put all this shit IN the original game? Besides the fact that their greedy exploitative fucks of course.
There was a good post by one of the devs on the DA forums about this. Basically the milestone deadlines get locked months before the game actually ships, and in that time the designers and writers are basically doing jack-diddly squat while the programmers and QA folks are working on optimization and bugfixes. And the PC version of the game was done months ago but got delayed to have a simultaneous launch with the console ports, so the actual game has been done for at least six months now.

So with that extra time that they got from the PC version being done, they put their designers and writers to working on DLC. Since the deadline for what's actually on the disk was already locked and gone (and no, you can't put content on a disk after the deadline for it has passed), there was no possibility of adding the extra content onto the disk. Instead it gets tacked on as DLC, even if it is done by the time the game ships.
I accept your point, and naturally this happens a lot in development studios. But that doesn't explain why they have to charge extra for it.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
This wasn't meant to be a Day One DLC, as the game itself was delayed it seems like they're pulling a full fleece unfortunately

I prefer the fact that they're keeping to their original schedule as much as possible, better than the Mass Effect scenario in any case.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Since it is included with the game from the start, can they even technically call it DLC? I know it sounds like a case of "Tomatoes TomaHtoes" but now it seems like just adding more content to the game before release.

timax

Oct 1, 2009
lumenadducere said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok if they're developing the DLC content now so it's ready to be released with the original game, why don't they just put all this shit IN the original game? Besides the fact that their greedy exploitative fucks of course.
There was a good post by one of the devs on the DA forums about this. Basically the milestone deadlines get locked months before the game actually ships, and in that time the designers and writers are basically doing jack-diddly squat while the programmers and QA folks are working on optimization and bugfixes. And the PC version of the game was done months ago but got delayed to have a simultaneous launch with the console ports, so the actual game has been done for at least six months now.

So with that extra time that they got from the PC version being done, they put their designers and writers to working on DLC. Since the deadline for what's actually on the disk was already locked and gone (and no, you can't put content on a disk after the deadline for it has passed), there was no possibility of adding the extra content onto the disk. Instead it gets tacked on as DLC, even if it is done by the time the game ships.

The GameSpot thread where this was originally announced was painful to read. It's like nobody understood the concept of deadlines and milestones within the game industry, instead ranting and raving about how they were entitled to free content. Made me wish I had the power to reach through the monitor across the interwebs and backhand some people.

But honestly with this game the only thing that's going to cost people who buy the game is the Warden's Keep DLC. Stone Prisoner and the Blood Dragon Armor are going to be free to download to anyone who buys the game new. It's primarily a way to get some extra money from used game sales, which normally completely undercuts developers and publishers and the retailer gets pure profit (I'm looking at you, GameStop). This way if someone buys the game new, BioWare can still make some money because they may decide to purchase the DLC.

Would I like it if Warden's Keep was free as well? Well, yes, of course I would. But given it's only $7 and given that it's more money to BioWare's coffers, I'm not really complaining that much.
This is exactly what I have been trying to tell people, besides the fact, that DA is huge already? I mean what do you think bioware owes the consumer? 100 hours of gameplay for the game cost?

Everyone, everywhere that gets upset at this example, really doesn't have an appreciation for the gaming industry at all, and drive me goddamn crazy.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Looks good. I wish I had the cash to spend on Origins (the game not DLC) right now, guess I'll just have to wait. Anyway, for the first 2 mins I thought that was a swastika on the rock guys head

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
timax said:
lumenadducere said:
canadamus_prime said:

The GameSpot thread where this was originally announced was painful to read. It's like nobody understood the concept of deadlines and milestones within the game industry, instead ranting and raving about how they were entitled to free content. Made me wish I had the power to reach through the monitor across the interwebs and backhand some people.

But honestly with this game the only thing that's going to cost people who buy the game is the Warden's Keep DLC. Stone Prisoner and the Blood Dragon Armor are going to be free to download to anyone who buys the game new. It's primarily a way to get some extra money from used game sales, which normally completely undercuts developers and publishers and the retailer gets pure profit (I'm looking at you, GameStop). This way if someone buys the game new, BioWare can still make some money because they may decide to purchase the DLC.

Would I like it if Warden's Keep was free as well? Well, yes, of course I would. But given it's only $7 and given that it's more money to BioWare's coffers, I'm not really complaining that much.
This is exactly what I have been trying to tell people, besides the fact, that DA is huge already? I mean what do you think bioware owes the consumer? 100 hours of gameplay for the game cost?

Everyone, everywhere that gets upset at this example, really doesn't have an appreciation for the gaming industry at all, and drive me goddamn crazy.
Have you played through the game or are you just being a fanboy? Even if they can't add it to the original game they can make it a free dlc. As soon as you start deciding what we do and do and don't deserve as customers is the same moment companies can aim for the minimum and charge for the rest.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
cainx10a said:
The Infamous Scamola said:
I HATE it when game developers do that.
Come on brother, you know it's BioWare and you know they are going to deliver. And DLCs are here for the extra fun, what's not to like? Is it not worth paying for? It's not like they are pulling a Capcom on the resident evil fans with the Versus mode, right? RIGHT?
It isn't BioWare, it is EA. This DLC is being release the same day as the game. In other words - it is material that was produced for the game, that was deliberately kept out of the game so they could fleece their customers for more money, effectively increasing the price of the full game.

I hate it when game developers insult my intelligence like this, and as a result I won't be buying this game.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
cuddly_tomato said:
cainx10a said:
Come on brother, you know it's BioWare and you know they are going to deliver. And DLCs are here for the extra fun, what's not to like? Is it not worth paying for? It's not like they are pulling a Capcom on the resident evil fans with the Versus mode, right? RIGHT?
It isn't BioWare, it is EA. This DLC is being release the same day as the game. In other words - it is material that was produced for the game, that was deliberately kept out of the game so they could fleece their customers for more money, effectively increasing the price of the full game.

I hate it when game developers insult my intelligence like this, and as a result I won't be buying this game.
Way to contradict yourself, genius. Bioware are the developers, EA are the publishers. If they'd released DA:O six months ago when the PC version was ready to hit the shelves and then released the DLC 'now' when the console versions were hitting the market, would you still object?

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Amnestic said:
cuddly_tomato said:
cainx10a said:

Way to contradict yourself, genius. Bioware are the developers, EA are the publishers. If they'd released DA:O six months ago when the PC version was ready to hit the shelves and then released the DLC 'now' when the console versions were hitting the market, would you still object?
Erm... ok, try reading it all again. Try going back to the stories source...

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one.
See that? Here it is again...

BioWare today announced
Yay! Got it now? Or need it again? BioWare released this statement. BioWare are the ones telling us we should be pathetically grateful for their profiteering. EA are just the ones pulling their strings. I can live with a company trying to make more money, hell that's business. I don't like when companies make up obviously lame excuses as to why they have done the things they have - in this case BioWare.

Next time, try actually reading posts and checking sources before jumping the gun like this.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
cuddly_tomato said:
Amnestic said:
cuddly_tomato said:
cainx10a said:

Erm... ok, try reading it all again. Try going back to the stories source...

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one.
See that? Here it is again...

BioWare today announced
Yay! Got it now? Or need it again? BioWare released this statement. BioWare are the ones telling us we should be pathetically grateful for their profiteering. EA are just the ones pulling their strings. I can live with a company trying to make more money, hell that's business. I don't like when companies make up obviously lame excuses as to why they have done the things they have - in this case BioWare.

Next time, try actually reading posts and checking sources before jumping the gun like this.
I will be pre-ordering the Digital Deluxe edition, which goes for $65, includes the 2 DLCs and some Collector Edition stuff in it. I purchased all of BioWare games up to this date, and personally, I guess I am biased when it comes to my favorite game development studio.

But I still believe, that game developers who actually bother to deliver an above average content to extend your enjoyment of their game, deserves to be rewarded.

timax

Oct 1, 2009
hypothetical fact said:
Have you played through the game or are you just being a fanboy? Even if they can't add it to the original game they can make it a free dlc. As soon as you start deciding what we do and do and don't deserve as customers is the same moment companies can aim for the minimum and charge for the rest.
Why should they make it free when it cost them MONEY to make it? They spent time and money, peoples skill, development resources to make this content. You call me a fanboy for expecting to pay for that? A whole 7$? Please give me one good reason why they should just give it to us, because no one else has.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Just a quick necro 'cos I can't be arsed to be yelled at by search bar nazis.

Couldn't find anything else on this, but it looks like the day one DLC for the PS3 (it appears to only be outside of North America...) is, for want of a better term, FUBAR. The Stone Guardian's free download is officially "not there". Neither are the Collector's edition items and one of the preorder rings. The only things that have been confirmed as working on BioWare's site are the Blood Dragon Armour and the Dalish Promise Ring. Both EA and BioWare are being palpably silent on the whole issue.

I only bring this up because I feel, more than anything else, this shows the cautionary tale of day one DLC. I want to get The Warden's Keep, but I don't want to actually spend money to find out it's dissapeared later...