Dragon Age Wins "Accessible Game of the Year" Award

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
The main observation to be made here is that most of the features AbleGamers is touting aren't really super-special additions designed just for disabled players. Simply including multiple interface options to cater to different tastes will go a long way towards serving the needs of players with physical disabilities as well.

-- Alex

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
hmmm, reading it at first I thought it was some sort of joke, maybe all the shops stored it at eye level and put ladders nearby for midgets or that perhaps it featured an unusually reasonable price.

(sorry to any short people)

xXxTheBeastxXx

Mar 12, 2009
I know Bioware will probably get a lot of flak for having the "most disable-friendly game," but I say congratulations that they were able to not only make a game that's accessible to everyone, but make it extremely well.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Accountfailed said:
AC Medina said:
This is great; I, for one, had never put much thought into how people with different disabilities can/can't enjoy certain games. Definitely something to think about, and something that every gamer should promote because...we want as many people as possible to enjoy great games, don't we?
You mean like... like mac gamers?
That's a disability you just can't account for. Besides, three people isn't really worth the extra time and effort it'd take...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Obviously this award was given to the PC version, while I found the controls in the Console Version to be acceptable, I would never call them "good" or "accessible".

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
I think it's kinda cool that BioWare put all that effort into making those accessibility options available. Now all they need to do is make it compatible with Ben Heck's one-handed controller, and allow amputees better accessibility too.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The game earned kudos for its multiple levels of subtitles, "extreme mobility options" that allow gamers to effectively play with either the keyboard or the mouse, fonts that help compensate for color impairment and more. It also received praise for being "cognitive friendly," which AbleGamers said is relatively uncommon in most major releases.

"Perhaps the most underrepresented disability in mainstream games, cognitive impaired gamers can pause the action quickly and as often as necessary in the heat of the battle," AbleGamers said. "Orders can be issued during the pause, allowing anyone to keep up with the game no matter the level of cognitive impairment."
So they basically get an award for doing exactly the same as 90% of all pc rtses which are constantly labeled as "hard to control"? I smell a pile of bribes from EA.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Accountfailed said:
AC Medina said:
This is great; I, for one, had never put much thought into how people with different disabilities can/can't enjoy certain games. Definitely something to think about, and something that every gamer should promote because...we want as many people as possible to enjoy great games, don't we?
You mean like... like mac gamers?
I would like to award you my "Quote of the Day" award. Here's a cookie.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
i feel ashamed at not having a ninja computer to play the game in its HD glory, im stuck with the 360 version.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Good for them, everyone should be able to enjoy this amazing rpg.

Also I notice a lot of people bashing the 360 version of Dragonage but I'm enjoying it fine. I don't really have a problem with anything.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
you know, i found this sort of inversely entertaining because i found the combat of the game to be some of the most difficult i ever played. i'm not sure bioware was thinking about disability accessability when they added the constant pause function, more like, "if we don't, people won't make it through Ostogar, it'd be too hard." but you know what, good for them, they deserved an award, considering it seems everything was won by either Modern Warfare 2 or Uncharted 2, two games i consider severly over hyped and, while good, not necessarily worthy of every video game award in existence that they seem to be winning.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Seems a rather pathetic award, I mean - I'm sure Dragon Age deserves it by a long way, but... seriously? Accessible Game Of The Year award? sounds like someone was taking the mick a bit when they came up with the name.