Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and all things there-of.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
If this game is successful I wonder if we will see a One Piece counterpart. It would be pretty dope traveling the Grand Line with a crew of your friends, duking it out with other pirates.

Might pick this up at some point, seems pretty dope. Is Piccolo a mentor?

Sep 14, 2009
Dansen said:
If this game is successful I wonder if we will see a One Piece counterpart. It would be pretty dope traveling the Grand Line with a crew of your friends, duking it out with other pirates.

Might pick this up at some point, seems pretty dope. Is Piccolo a mentor?
1) a one piece counterpart would be awesome, as long as they followed similar mechanics and customization I think.

2) yes piccolo is a mentor, I didn't finish his mentoring but I've done the first couple, simple enough and the moves aren't horrible that he gives you.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Dammit...just when I thought I was getting to the bottom of my backlist you guys convince me to try something else :|

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Been playing for about a day and a half with the PS4 version, got a level 78 Saiyan brawler as my main character- seriously, I don't even bother using ANY special moves anymore, I basically beat my opponents to death- and on the side a level 36 human blaster-sort. My Saiyan can hit Super Saiyan 2 and, thanks to a certain Z-Soul, regenerates health slowly when his Chi is full, which is part of why I don't use special moves these days. Completed training under only one mentor so far, buuut that mentor was Goku, so aha! >:3 Managed to accelerate the leveling of my Saiyan both early on, and later in the storyline, by taking advantage of a couple of, well, farmable levels from the story mode that offer excellent experience value for the effort expended. Heck, the first one (which I used when I hit a difficulty wall during the Cell Saga to buff up a dozen levels or so,) you don't actually HAVE to throw a punch, heck, your score's better if you don't! xP Just hide in a corner, let NPC Goku basically win the fight for you, collect profit. The second was a more hands-on match, but if done properly offered upwards to thirteen thousand experience points per playthrough, all for a fight that I was eventually able to finish in under two minutes. >:3 Now I basically play through the Saiyan Revolt when I want to work on leveling up; probably less experience for time invested than grinding replayed missions, but it's more engaging and enjoyable.

What's irritating me is how random some elements are, like acquiring a specific skill or a Dragonball during the parallel missions. I want to get a respec for my Saiyan, tighten up his points distribution- basically, decided to move the fifty-odd points out of Strike Supers, and stick them in Ranged Supers, to give me a bit of a distance option- and getting those seven Dragonballs is a choooore. T_T There's no definite way to do it, you just have to play parallel quests and HOPE another Time Agent challenges you to a fight, and then HOPE he drops a Dragonball at the end of the fight.

Unfortunately, although my Saiyan can absolutely wreck opponents in a 1-on-1 fight, thinking I'm going to need to rely on my Blaster for 2-on-1, especially if they're both Super Saiyans. Tried a couple of side missions that involve taking on a pair of Super Saiyans, the way they spam Ultimates is painful, ESPECIALLY Trunks and Vegeta. ._. I was BARELY able to defeat Trunks + Goten, followed by Adult Trunks + Vegeta, and didn't have enough health left to take on Goku + Gohan to win the level. Granted, that was before I got the health regeneration, might try again at some point.

Quite enjoying the sense of getting stronger, I must admit, definite satisfaction is going back to earlier Parallel Quests and just wrecking all comers. Ironically though, I'm stuck on the first Bardock mission... not because I can't win, (the enemies can barely scratch me,) but because BARDOCK keeps dying, the pitiful sonnuva... ._.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Button mashing combo system?
Constant voice overs that gets ignored in the middle of the action?
Annoying objectives where you keep idiot AI alive?
Flashy attacks that don't differ that much from one another outside of looking cool?

Looks like this game is about 10,000 mooks away from being Dynasty Warriors. I wonder if there's a strong parallel between the two as far as fans are concerned. At least Xenoverse lets you build your own character.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
SeventhSigil said:
What's irritating me is how random some elements are, like acquiring a specific skill or a Dragonball during the parallel missions. I want to get a respec for my Saiyan, tighten up his points distribution- basically, decided to move the fifty-odd points out of Strike Supers, and stick them in Ranged Supers, to give me a bit of a distance option- and getting those seven Dragonballs is a choooore. T_T There's no definite way to do it, you just have to play parallel quests and HOPE another Time Agent challenges you to a fight, and then HOPE he drops a Dragonball at the end of the fight.
For Dragon Ball farming, the best way is probably what I found online. Go to PQ12 (ginyu something or other). On this quest, there is a Patroller who may spawn on the other side of the map the moment the quest starts. If they spawned, then you will see them in about 2 seconds, or moving forward a couple feet. If they didn't spawn, just hit retry and hope he comes back. You want to do whatever you can to kill him as fast as possible, because you're going to be retrying this mission A LOT. If he doesn't drop the KEY ITEM, hit retry and do it all over again. Depending on your luck and if you can one-shot the Patroller, you can get a whole set in 45-60 minutes. Even less if you can kill the Ginyu Force in record time to end the quest.

SeventhSigil said:
Ironically though, I'm stuck on the first Bardock mission... not because I can't win, (the enemies can barely scratch me,) but because BARDOCK keeps dying, the pitiful sonnuva... ._.
As for this, I found out a nice strategy while watching some twitch stuff. There's a Z-Soul called "Why you!!!" or similar. It's a reward during the frieza saga PQ's. It'll fill your Ki to max whenever you kill someone, so if you have strong ultimates to spam on the underlings, that z-soul will make it a cinch. I don't know from experience, but it sounds like a good thing to try.

Sep 14, 2009
DeadProxy said:
SeventhSigil said:
For Dragon Ball farming, the best way is probably what I found online. Go to PQ12 (ginyu something or other). On this quest, there is a Patroller who may spawn on the other side of the map the moment the quest starts. If they spawned, then you will see them in about 2 seconds, or moving forward a couple feet. If they didn't spawn, just hit retry and hope he comes back. You want to do whatever you can to kill him as fast as possible, because you're going to be retrying this mission A LOT. If he doesn't drop the KEY ITEM, hit retry and do it all over again. Depending on your luck and if you can one-shot the Patroller, you can get a whole set in 45-60 minutes. Even less if you can kill the Ginyu Force in record time to end the quest.

SeventhSigil said:
Ironically though, I'm stuck on the first Bardock mission... not because I can't win, (the enemies can barely scratch me,) but because BARDOCK keeps dying, the pitiful sonnuva... ._.
As for this, I found out a nice strategy while watching some twitch stuff. There's a Z-Soul called "Why you!!!" or similar. It's a reward during the frieza saga PQ's. It'll fill your Ki to max whenever you kill someone, so if you have strong ultimates to spam on the underlings, that z-soul will make it a cinch. I don't know from experience, but it sounds like a good thing to try.
I don't ever remember coming across a time patroller on that quest, but I'll have to look next time, so thanks for mentioning that. my first dragonball I got (quite easily, at least I think) I got on the parallel quest where you have to beat frieza when planet namek is about to explode, if you beat him in under like 2-3 minutes, then a time patroller pops out, and if you beat her solid, then there is a good chance for a dragonball to drop. I beat that quest in about 2 minutes flat (beat the piss out of frieza) and got my first dragonball.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I have completed the story. I have a similar problem with SSJ; I do not object to it being powerful, as it should be, I object to the fact that it doesn't feel powerful. Giving you the ability to spam the shit out of your ultimate makes you feel like your cheating, not like you've ascended to a new height of awesome might. A simple increase in speed, damage, perhaps a more ferocious move set, and quicker ki regeneration would have sufficed. I understand the designers wish to be unique, but previous DBZ games have captured the feeling of transforming into a Super Saiyan far better; sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My other major complaint is that blocking is useless; the start up is so slow, and the rest of the combat so fast, that you basically never have time for it. Whenever the AI does it, I feel cheated; it's like they're fucking clairvoyant. Teleporting is useful, but it's clearly intended to be a hail Marry defensive maneuver. The result of this flaw is that the combat is lopsided; when you're attacking, it's like you're playing an instrument; when you get hit, it's like your guitar goes out of tune and you have to just sit and wait for it to get fixed and pray that you don't get booed off stage.

The lopsided combat makes the game both unbalanced and frustratingly sluggish; you go on an adrenaline high when you're winning, and suffer from withdrawal when you start taking damage.

If you're a Dragon Ball fan, then I can still recommend it for the in depth customization alone; this is probably the closest you'll get to roleplaying in the DBZ universe. But if you have no connection to the show or manga, it's just a flawed fighting game with some RPG elements thrown in.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
DeadProxy said:
SeventhSigil said:

SeventhSigil said:
Awesome, thanks! =D

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Soooo, who else here has solo-beaten Parallel Quest number 47, 'Super-Super Ultimate Series of Battles'? It's the one you get from Kid Trunks when you happen to find him near the Tournament Registration area, and dear GOD is it an absolute nightmare, for me at least. Finally beat it, and so freaking jubilant I had to come here to bemoan what a pain it was TO beat. It actually serves to highlight a lot of the problems the game's design has, especially the nature of Super Saiyans and fighting multiple opponents.

For those who haven't played, it pretty much goes like this (spoiler-tastic, for those who prefer going into these challenges blind;) keep in mind that since you originally get it from Kid Trunks, you can't (near as I can tell?) opt for a team, not until you replay it later, so it's just you on your lonesome. You begin in the Caves fighting against Piccolo, Tien and Yamcha, all low level, and all pretty easy to take on; I literally come out of it without a scratch, thanks to my Z-Soul's regeneration perk. Once 2 out of 3 are down, Krillin and Android 18 join in, keeping it 3 to 1, but if you're VERY quick, you can knock out the third warrior before they arrive, meaning you only have to deal with them 2 to 1. Again, that segment is pretty easy to blast through when you're at max level.

Once you've beaten them, you move on to the next zone, the Glacier, where Videl and Hercule are waiting for you. They are BEYOND easy to take down, with Hercule folding after only a few hits, and Videl not able to do much else. Buu arrives soon after the fight begins however, and while he is a bit of a damage sponge, with a double-health bar, he's straightforward enough to take down.

It's at this point that it starts getting... tricky. >.>

After Buu is down, Vegeta and Kid Trunks show up, both in Super Saiyan form permanently. Anyone who's dealt with Ultimate-loving SS characters knows how irritating it is, but then, before you can even do much damage to either of them, ADULT Trunks also shows up, (in Super Saiyan form,) turning it into a 3-on-1 Super Saiyan smackdown. They are all highly aggressive, opting for swarming tactics and offering very little breathing room, and during a couple of efforts I'd get chain-comboed by all three of them to the point where three quarters of my health was gone before I could even disengage. To top it off, Vegeta has that red-aura explosion move, the one that doesn't do much damage but can (apparently) be used mid-combo to force an enemy back, and can INTERRUPT someone's attempt to use an Ultimate Move. Oh, and by the way, both Vegeta and Trunks have double-full health bars.

Once you've defeated all three of THEM, you move to an oddly empty Space level, then directly onto the Kai World level. There, Super Saiyans Goten and Goku, and Ultimate Form Gohan, are all waiting for you. This actually ends up being even worse than the previous fight, because it's entirely possible to get comboed, then hit by Goku's Super Kamehameha, and then hit by GOHAN'S Super Kahehameha before the first one has even ended. Even popping a healing item is difficult, because you can't use them if you're being knocked down or hit, and finding even a split second of peace to use one is highly tricky. Oh, and Gohan has a double-full health bar, though curiously Goku did not...

...until you realize why he didn't. Because when, FINALLY, you take down all three of those Super Saiyans.... at which point Goku gets back up and goes Super Saiyan 3, (with a double health bar this time!) and you have to take him out next. Especially irritating for a mainly physical guy like me, as he had a similar aura-attack that kept breaking my combo attempts and forcing me back.

Oh, and you have only fifteen minutes to defeat all fourteen characters. (Fifteen if you count Goku's revival.) The second to last time I tried this level (basically, the time before I finally beat it,) I lost not because I died, but because I ran out of time, meaning I had to run the gauntlet even FASTER than last time to seize victory. x3

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Have been playing it and getting towards 30 on my Saiyan lady. So far liking it a lot overall except for some gripes:

1) RNG. Ye gods is it frustrating when you need a certain item to progress with your mentor that is a RNG on RNG low chance drop from a PQ?

2) Game is already starting to feel frustrating, with enemies capable of stunlocking me with no way to respond. I'm sure it will get more aggravating as I go along.

3) Since AI seems to be obscenely good at blocking any melee attacks I attempt and then catching me in an unbreakable combo into some nasty energy attack that wipes out half my HP, the game has already devolved into Galick Gun spam.

4) The only race that seems to be anywhere near fleshed out is Saiyan. No Freeza/Buu transformations? Very sad.

Otherwise though, it reminds me a lot of DCUO in a way, in that it has a very solid base that hopefully can be built on well in the future.

Sep 14, 2009
anybody have any smart tactics on dealing with multiple super saiyans at once?

Even if I have team members, these guys seem to stick to me like a damn magnet, and I end up getting wombo combo'd [http://youtu.be/pD_imYhNoQ4?t=8s] either by random ki blasts to disrupt my moves or by constant ping pong of ultimate attacks.

I'm doing just fine in random PQ's where it's one super saiyan and a couple baddies, or if one super saiyan seemingly ignores me for whatever reason, hell I spanked android 17 and 18 in that quest where you have to face off against both of them, but for whatever reason super saiyans are wrecking my shit and I'm assuming it's just going to get worse as the game goes on.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Got it 2 days ago and have been playing it for about 6-7 hours now. I'm not entirely disappointed, but I kinda expected more from it, especially for that price. It's basically Monster Hunter with a Dragon Ball coating - you visit the hub to buy yourself some healing items and then go questing either in story mode or parallel quest mode (which is a set of boss rushes with events from story mode). Pretty fun at first, but gets boring pretty quickly. The fighting system is pretty nice, though - even if you're a button masher, like me, you can do some sick combos and feel like a true DB character no probs.

I like that this game doesn't really require any grinding from you (unless you're stubborn and want to battle the terrible RNG in order to get the costumes you want) and you can easily just do every quest once to be of appropriate level not to be squished in the next story mode event.

As far as I'm in, the story seems to consist solely of recaps of the most famous battles of the Z series and nothing more. There are a few new characters but they seem to appear only as an excuse for more fighting. I really hope it gets better from that point onward.

Also, did I fuck up by taking an Earthling as my character? From people's experience it seems it'd have been a better choice to take a Saiyan because sooner or later the game just turns into a special attack spamfest anyway.

Sep 14, 2009
hopefully this isn't considered thread necro..

anyways, just wanted to tell a fun little story that I wasn't quite expecting to happen.

I was doing parallel quest #39 "Cell Games Continued", and I was trying to fulfill the hidden conditions for that mission.

as many of you probably already know, certain characters later on in the game are stupidly underpowered compared to the late-game characters, so when cell popped up and I had to keep him alive, it was a bit sweat inducing considering gohan had a seemingly wet appetite for demolishing him. At the time, I was in super saiyan 2 transformation, so I was hitting him with near constant big bang attacks to knock him away from cell, I'd recharge my ki for a few seconds, then keep hitting him again and again with super attacks to conserve cell's health.

Finally I was running REALLY low on ki, so I had to take a chance for it and just charge up my ki for a solid 8-9 seconds, and of course in that moment gohan decides to go to town on cell, flippin pounding him 7 ways from sunday. I flew over and hit him with a strong attack to knock him away, and by this point his health is VERY low, so I decide to charge up a perfect kamehameha and hit him with everything I got...oddly enough, gohan happened to be firing his OWN kamehameha at that exact same moment, so we ended up doing an across the map perfect matchup kamehameha, where neither one of us ended up getting hit (just like in the tv show)..he took a break for a quick second, so having some ki still left over in my transformation, I fire off one last perfect kamehameha and end up annihilating him. Just one of those odd moments where I sat back and pondered after the "S" rank popped up..never thought I'd be protecting cell against gohan, and just happen to have that epic standoff happen, very nostalgic obviously, but damn was it cool.

anyways, I'd like to hear of anyone else's epic stories they've had from the game, whether it's interesting match-ups, stand offs, or just inch for inch battles you might've had with a person or computer player.