Dragon Quest's JRPG Mascot Inspired By Western RPG

Mar 29, 2009
ahlycks said:
zombie711 said:
Fist the quest system now the mascot. Tell me what else is inspired by us westerns?
god dammit you guys. just give it a rest, i'm sure western rpgs took things off of Japanese ones. too bad they did not copy the fact that the Japanese ones are fun to play *glare*

edit:Or the fact that they have a good story
Good story? Most of them follow the same plot. There were a few times I thought I was playing the same game.

Fun to play? that's relative. Personally, I like open world RPG's.
Which is something most JRPGS aren't.
As a rule of thumb for J RPG's : Unless it is Square Enix made, I probably won't even look at it unless a friend vouches for it.

Daggerfall is still better.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The Grim Ace said:
I now want to go and try out Wizardry, otherwise, I absolutely love Dragon Quest and Persona so I won't scoff at such awesome progeny from a game that probably should be far more popular over here than it is.
The last one was Wizardry 8 in 2001. It has what some people think as the best combat and RPG system of all time in a computer RPG but in other ways it might seem a bit rough around the edges.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That doesn't really surprise me. Miyamoto drew inspiration for The Legend of Zelda from the movie "Legend."

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
More Fun To Compute said:
The Grim Ace said:
I now want to go and try out Wizardry, otherwise, I absolutely love Dragon Quest and Persona so I won't scoff at such awesome progeny from a game that probably should be far more popular over here than it is.
The last one was Wizardry 8 in 2001. It has what some people think as the best combat and RPG system of all time in a computer RPG but in other ways it might seem a bit rough around the edges.
Yes, but, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed the first five Dragon Quests as some of the best RPGs of all time this rough around the edges system sounds like my cup of tea. Thank you either way for the heads up.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Oh come on. Does this stuff really matter? The west was a more prominent factor in the world in that period, so it's only natural that a lot of stuff was inspired/invented by the west. When the east was a more prominent factor, the west was inspired by/had inventions made by the East. I mean, the west became powerful because of gunpowder, and that gunpowder was invented by the Chinese. Who cares what was inspired by what? Christianity, one of the most influential things in the west, EVER, was originally a Jewish Sect. Does that matter? No.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That Mascot did look familar? lol...also looks familar to something in Phoenix Wright too now that I look at it...

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
Sounds a bit like how a lot of the "spaghetti westerns" were based off of the works of Akira Kurosawa, who in turn was influenced by other western works >.>

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
ahlycks said:
zombie711 said:
Fist the quest system now the mascot. Tell me what else is inspired by us westerns?
god dammit you guys. just give it a rest, i'm sure western rpgs took things off of Japanese ones. too bad they did not copy the fact that the Japanese ones are fun to play *glare*

edit:Or the fact that they have a good story
Hi and welcome to the Escapist where fanboys don't fly.

You seem to be under the impression that JRPGs are universally praised and loved more than WRPGs, despite the FACT (this being a real one) you can find plenty, more in some places than others, of people who will say the exact opposite, be it public, critic or developer. But they are right either.

Seriously, don't pass your OPINION off as fact, that's just baiting.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So basically Japanese and Western culture has been constantly influencing each other in various forms of media for some time now. Maybe instead of pitting one against the other we could get agents from both to work together to create something thats the best of both worlds eh?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Hahaha, good times!

ahlycks said:
Oh god, you really think i am so stupid to not realize that almost all English speaking places tends to like western games more? you don't think i realize there are only 4 people that i know that likes japanese games in my school of 150? I cannot count the times that i got laughed at for being a "fag" for liking games filled with "10 year old boys" and "uselessly big swords" Sorry that i did exactly what people have been doing to me for the past couple of years.
I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten when I said you didn't think most westerners like west games.

On the contrary, I know plenty of people who like JRPGs, more so than WRPGs and there's nothing wrong with that. I in fact do like JRPGs to, but in a different way to WRPGs since I find them different enough to very separate genres, like an RTS-FPS contrast almost.

Don't bother fighting with fire with fire, you should have just stuck with:

well, forgive me. I will now say why i think Jrpgs are better... for me.

The turn based combat is more chill than shooting things in real time. The art is pleasing to my eye, both 8 bit and anime. The plot twists and actual plot draws me in better than western ones. I like the characters and how they change during the game. I enjoy the music. I think the weapons look unique and interesting.

Ok, is that better?
That would have saved us the trouble.

oh, and fan boys do fly at the escapest, you just do not notice them because you agree with them.
Yes I must agree with them, even though I said THEY AREN'T RIGHT EITHER.

Although I'm not sure how genre wars has come up again in this thread...

canadamus_prime said:
So basically Japanese and Western culture has been constantly influencing each other in various forms of media for some time now. Maybe instead of pitting one against the other we could get agents from both to work together to create something thats the best of both worlds eh?
This comment, right here! I agree big time. I actually feel Demon's Souls was a good example since it was made in Japan but has a lot in common with WRPGs.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Depends on who is deciding what is best. A copycat military FPS with two hour cutscenes about boring plot details and bad jokes? No thanks.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
canadamus_prime said:
Depends on who is deciding what is best. A copycat military FPS with two hour cutscenes about boring plot details and bad jokes? No thanks.
I was more referring to the topic of RPGs.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wizardry? As in Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord?

Didn't much care for the game to be honest, but the title is AWESOME. And it's nice to know it inspired something so cute and killable.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I think you know what I meant.
I honestly don't. It seems that no two people can really agree on what a proper RPG is even before agreeing on what are the best parts of American RPGs and what are the best parts of Japanese RPGs.