Dragonball Z Kai: How do you like it?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I've seen a few people on the internet who immediately say they hate Kai, but I usually dismiss them as morons who immediately hate any attempt to change something nostalgic of theirs. Personally, I love it. I grew up on DBZ, but I remember all the fluff and BS it had. While some of the reworked dialogue may not be quite as iconic as the original, I think it was worth it to have a much more streamlined plot.

But I'm curious. What do other DBZ fans think of it? I would make a poll, but I think the results would be polluted by ass-hats who don't actually like DBZ anyway.

impcnrd

Nov 28, 2009
i watched the first few episodes because i was bored and felt like watching DBZ. the problem was the website sucked ass, that was hosting the videos. that and the theme is absolutely terrible. it was the worst part of it. other than that i never actually saw the first the originals anyway, specifically anything before the cell saga episodes, so i as a show its alright... i mean it is DBZ so there really isn't much here.
i was a fan of the series when i was in middle school. just not anymore.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I watched some of the Japanese version and had a couple thoughts. First, I really missed the original music. Cha La Head Cha La and the epic individual scores should not have been "updated." That said, they did cut out A LOT of the filler crap and brought the series much more in line with the manga. So it's a mixed bag.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
FuktLogik said:
Jack the Potato said:
I would make a poll, but I think the results would be polluted by ass-hats who don't actually like DBZ anyway.
People who don't dig DBZ are automatically asshats? Who's the close minded nostalgiafag now?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant was that people who don't like DBZ yet come into a poll thread to vote on it are ass-hats.

hedges1001

Mar 17, 2010
i prefer kai .... almost when they cut out the garlic jr saga i was not amused it was one of my favourite sagas

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I wanted to watch DBZ Kai, and was really excited when I heard that DragonBall Z was being re-made with the same voice actors and none of the filler. It seemed like a dream come true, as I opened the video and saw the brand-new opening I was so excited I could HEAR my heart pumping liquid joy through my veins.

Then the show started and I was incredibly disappointed that they didn't re-make the show like they had claimed, but instead just hired someone to professionally edit them so they made more sense. The opening episodes are as grainy and ugly as ever which only makes the new opening more obscenely beautiful.

In short, I'd rather watch the original DragonBall Z because it didn't break my heart in the first 5 minutes, and because I have it all on DVD.

zach7fours

Apr 10, 2011
No. I refuse to believe Kai was a good idea. There couldn't have been one person in the editing room saying, "EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL LOVE THIS." Guys, you remember the scene where Vegeta get the snot kicked out of him by Recoome or where he kills Guldo? When Guldo gets his head chopped off, it just flat disappears. And then Vegeta blows up a random ground spot. And blood? as the editor said," Just make all blood on the body brown. No one will notice." This series is a mockery of the original.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
zach7fours said:
No. I refuse to believe Kai was a good idea. There couldn't have been one person in the editing room saying, "EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL LOVE THIS." Guys, you remember the scene where Vegeta get the snot kicked out of him by Recoome or where he kills Guldo? When Guldo gets his head chopped off, it just flat disappears. And then Vegeta blows up a random ground spot. And blood? as the editor said," Just make all blood on the body brown. No one will notice." This series is a mockery of the original.
Did you watch the Nicktoons version? It was heavily edited. The uncut version has blood, and even some swearing.

zach7fours

Apr 10, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
zach7fours said:
Did you watch the Nicktoons version? It was heavily edited. The uncut version has blood, and even some swearing.
Yeah, I watched the nicktoons version. I watched one episode online of Kai....then waited for the punchline. It was like the regular series, but a change to the voices I had grown to recognize and adore. So I went back to the wide world of the internets and watched the originals. I enjoyed them more. So in short, if you want to do a remake, don't use the same series, but different voices. Team Four Star and Youtube beat you to it.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
zach7fours said:
...Were you watching the TV version? I recall the uncut DVD version having the same amount of Recoome bloodily pummeling Vegeta and Guldo visibly losing his head.

On topic, speaking as a person who grew up with Dragonball Z from the very first saga all the way to GT, I have to say that Dragon Ball Z Kai is a supierior version of the original. People seem to hate on Kai solely for the fact that they changed the voice actors, that it cut out filler, and that it has a new modern orchestral soundtrack.

What people forget was that the most of the characters were voiced by staff members, also known as people who have no experience voice acting. The original dub was filled to the brim with translation errors, awkward pauses in between words due to lip flaps, and flatly delivered dialogue.

In Kai, the characters are voiced by people who actually have experience and the older cast of voice actors actually put in more effort this time around. With the horrible dialogue taken out, lines such as "SAD FOR YOOOOU" or "MOAR LIEK... BURNT TOAST", you can actually take the show seriously this time.

Some argue that the filler gave more character development to some of the characters. The thing, though, was that some of the filler actually mischaracterized people like Krillin who was made out to be more cowardly than he really is or like Gohan who was made out to enjoy fighting when he really didn't at all. As for the other characters like Tien and Yamcha, their backstory and character were all already established in the previous series, and it wasn't like they needed it in Dragon Ball Z since they were pretty much demoted to extras.

As for the new soundtrack, well I guess that depends on what you kind of music that you enjoy, honestly. The new soundtrack that was composed by Kenji Yamamoto, in my opinion, actually gives Kai a refreshing feel musically, as well as giving the show a more heroic, mature tone. Take the scene where Vegeta is killed by Frieza on Namek. Bruce Falconer's work on the original dub was by no means bad, but it was far from good. More often than not would Bruce's music inappropriately drone on endlessly during certain scenes, lacking the emotional impact thats supposed to go along with what's happening. Take a look at this scene from Kai where Vegeta is killed by Frieza on Namek.

Bear in mind that this is the TV version of Dragon Ball Z Kai, so all the swearing and blood is replaced with different words by the actors. Admittedly, this was the clip that got me interested in Dragon Ball Z Kai in the first place.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
zach7fours said:
Yeah, I watched the nicktoons version. I watched one episode online of Kai....then waited for the punchline. It was like the regular series, but a change to the voices I had grown to recognize and adore. So I went back to the wide world of the internets and watched the originals. I enjoyed them more. So in short, if you want to do a remake, don't use the same series, but different voices. Team Four Star and Youtube beat you to it.
The problem was that you only watched one episode. And besides a few characters being changed, most of the characters had their original voices done by the same people. Goku by Sean Schemmel, Vegeta by Chris Sabat, Krillin by Sonny Strait, and many others. What's the problem?

zach7fours

Apr 10, 2011
lucky_sharm said:
zach7fours said:
The problem was that you only watched one episode. And besides a few characters being changed, most of the characters had their original voices done by the same people. Goku by Sean Schemmel, Vegeta by Chris Sabat, Krillin by Sonny Strait, and many others. What's the problem?
I'm a bit of a purist. I don't like remakes of good moments in my past. My hatred to Kai is the same reason I didn't watch the Prince of Persia movie. Im open to re-imaginings, like an artist floating around on the internet who made the DBZ Multiverse comic. I just don't want to see my past ruined. Damn you Rule 34.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
My biggest problem with Kai is really the DVD releases. I can get two parts in a combo on DVD for about $20 but I have to play $20 for just part one on Blu-Ray. And each part comes on 2 discs no matter what format I buy.

As far as the series its self goes, I don't really have a problem with it. While it's not as nostalgic is the original Z is I like how it doesn't drag. I can't sit through the first three seasons of Z on DVD because of that.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
So... it's a remastered HD version with a couple of different voice actors and different music...

I imagine it'd be off-putting for a fan of the series but it'll probably be perfectly fine for those new to it. I think it's great if a lot of the filler is removed, it did get ridiculous at times.

Still, I'll stick to the original series. The only reason I still like DBZ is because of the nostalgia factor, why would I want to see something that just slightly off? It'll ruin the enjoyment for me.

Of course I generally stick to Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged. :p