Dragon's Dogma Sequels Seem Likely

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
FUCK.

The problem here is not that ol' Cappy doesn't know how to make games, on the contrary.

Capcom KNOWS how to make good games, they just don't know HOW to handle them.

And let me tell you, I see A LOT of franchise milking in Dragon's Dogma's future.

Varil

May 23, 2011
<3 Dragon's Dogma. So far my game of the year. I just hope Capcom doesn't down a bowl of stupid and screw up the sequel.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Could have been worse. Was a fun little aside, in a time when the past few months have been virtually void of amazing new titles.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Eh, it's alright.
Needed some refining in the game mechanics and an easier way to get around. Maybe a bigger world and some actual NG+ content. Animation and voice acting needed some work done on it too.
I'd get a sequel when it went down in price.
What was wrong with the animations? The monsters, I find, to be some of the best animated in the history of gaming. I also liked the dialogue to be better than Skyrim's because it kept with the theme, my favorite lines being:

"Fantasies of death and redemption concern me not one whit" - Lord Julien

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening" - Grigori, the Dragon

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Mine was the canning of MML3...
We will never forget. That was just unforgivable. Capcom died for me right after that. *Manly tear*

OT: Dragon's Dogma was okay but it really didn't manage to attract me as much as other RPGs out there. For example, when I first played Dragon Age: Origins, I knew nothing about the game, yet after playing for an hour, I fell in love with the game. All the Elder Scrolls were pretty addicting but they didn't catch my attention, story-wise.
Dragon's Dogma did neither one of those for me; it wasn't that addicting and the story was alright but not awesome.

Either way, I'm still butthurt about MML3. And all the other retarded decisions they've made. So maybe, maaaaybe, when Dragon's Dogma is at the cheap bin at my local store, I'll re-buy it. For now, I love me some Dragon Age.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i still don't understand how people are so accepting of getting rid of a game which already had a fully finished standalone pregame on the basis of information that we do not know, by a company whose actions have been questionable at best regarding many of their decisions

while it was their right to do so, i do not take that as reason to consider it a proper or justifiable action, especially when they did not even get the real numbers that they wanted from making and releasing that pregame in the first place

they were set to tap a mostly empty (at the time) market aching for some sort of thing to play with on their 3dses and they just blew it big time, and their fanbase wouldn't have been even close to this mad about it if they had gone forward with a terrible product

even a mediocre showing would have at least given them some information, and money back from their substantial initial investment of time, manpower, and assets, which given the short leap it would have taken just to find out relative to everything they've been through up to that point, it was ultimately unsatisfying and never really explained in a straightforward manner (not counting pure speculation by devil's advocates)

ANYWAY

it felt like the first dragons dogma was mostly a proof of concept with a thin story draped over it, and then they used that to gauge how much people would pay for a game with an actual effort behind it

which, given our previous situation with mml3, seems utterly baffling that they went ahead with that game to begin with and inconsistent with previously speculated logic

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
cojo965 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Eh, it's alright.
Needed some refining in the game mechanics and an easier way to get around. Maybe a bigger world and some actual NG+ content. Animation and voice acting needed some work done on it too.
What was wrong with the animations? The monsters, I find, to be some of the best animated in the history of gaming. I also liked the dialogue to be better than Skyrim's because it kept with the theme, my favorite lines being:

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening" - Grigori, the Dragon
Well, generally, they're pretty good, but go to around 8:23 in this video
Nice flying, Grigori.

And I can't find a video, but just generally talking to people too. That's got that weird early Bethesda problem that they get stuck in place staring at you sometimes shifting their arms. With about the same quality of voice acting for the average person too.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I am so cautiously optimistic about this.
Literally split right down the middle.

This is easily the best thing Capcom has put out in a long while.

It's good, great, flaws and all.
They have an opportunity here. They could go the Borderlands route, and actually make fine tuned adjustments, fix whats broke, don't fix what isn't, and not dilute the games mechanics.

Or they could go the Bethesda route, wherein this first initial game, while flawed, will probably be looked back on in several years as the best unspoiled part of the games life while the fans attempt to wade through super stream-lined, gutted and sterilized clones.

I'm going to try not to think about it, it is just a game after all, but dammit Capcom.
Please don't destroy this series.

My dollar will be awaiting your answer in a few years.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I haven't finished the game, just haven't had the time, but I enjoyed the mechanics for sure (I'm a big Monster Hunter fan, so battling big 'ol beasties calls to me). I'd be excited to see another title in the series, and I'd like to think that this kind of treatment of a new IP could see the start of an eventual turn-around for Capcom.
I've been done with the company for a long time, but I've always wanted them to come back into the fold, to regain past glories, and this is the kind of thing that could do it.
I'll be keeping a close eye on it, a very close eye.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Good I enjoyed the game and would like to see more of it. plus maybe it will make capcom think hmm this kind of game they liked and bought whereas this game they didn't, better think about this.

Dec 14, 2009
Great news!

I enjoyed DD, sure there were numerous faults, but getting those ironed out in a sequel as well as refining what made the game great would be perfect :D

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
As long as they toss the whole Ur-Dragon idea, I'll be a happy man.
The rest of the game was fine, maybe a bit repetitive at times, but overall, it was a fun game.
But that Ur-Dragon (online, offline was fine) is a good concept with poor execution.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
I've enjoyed Dragon's Dogma so far though I haven't been able to give it too much of my time. I look forward to bringing Yahtzee the pawn to Dragon's Dogma 2.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Oh yeah, make a sequel to Dragons Dogma but no localization of Ace Attorney: Investigations 2 (yes, still bitter about it)

...Dammit Crapcom, stop making me hate you...
I am too. The only reason why I'm buying JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for PS3 is because I know Nambai will use its sales to determine if the new one is worth localizing.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
cojo965 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Eh, it's alright.

Well, generally, they're pretty good, but go to around 8:23 in this video
Nice flying, Grigori.

And I can't find a video, but just generally talking to people too. That's got that weird early Bethesda problem that they get stuck in place staring at you sometimes shifting their arms. With about the same quality of voice acting for the average person too.
Ok good point about the voice acting for the common people that was at times really bad. I wasn't bothered that much by the weird Bethesda chat system using "chat" in the loosest way possible.

Gremlin-Stenning

Jul 29, 2012
I have found only one word to summarise this...WHY??. That is it.
I can't wrap my head around capcom why make a sequel to Dragons Dogma the first game for me didn't have a substantial plot
To begin with a dragon rips out your heart and you don't die and for no reason you have to go out and get it back considering the dragon has
Probably digested it by then. Again this raises the question WHY?.
Why would you go out and face a dragon to get your semi digested heart back if you can carry on your measily
Existance without it and why give us 2 choices of names for our character if everyone just calls him arisen or master.
And give us the choice of voice options just to find the character can't even bloody talk so a word to Capcom no I will not be
Buying Dragons Dogma 2 because I can already forsee that you'll only make our character go out in search of his brain that he lost before the first game. Oh and maybe his tongue.